Lie angles confuse me to no end.

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently playing Titleist 710 AP2 3-PW with 2* flat lie angles (was fitted for this).

In the next week or so, I plan to custom order some Ping i20 4-PW. Now I have totally confused myself as to what I need regarding lie angle.

Here are the Titleist lie angles:
Club
Loft
Lie Angle
21°
60°
24°
61°
27°
62°
31°
62.5°
35°
63°
39°
63.5°
43°
64°
PW
47°
64°

And now the Pings:
Club
Loft
Length
Lie Angle
21°
38.75"
59.25°
24°
38.25"
60.00°
27°
37.75"
60.75°
30°
37.25"
61.50°
33°
36.75"
62.25°
37°
36.25"
63.00°
41°
35.75"
63.75°
PW
46°
35.50"
64.00°

My current ballflight is pretty straight with the AP2, so I think that lie is probably about right. Basically I have thought about this so much that I can't even keep straight if the Titliests or the Pings are more upright. It looks to me like Titleist, right? Seriously, I've overthought this to the point that the whole thing is greek to me.

Now even more frustrating is wanting to be fitted for the Pings. If lie angles were equal from one set to the other, I wouldn't bother with a fitting...but oh well. I will be placing the order through a family acquaintance who will get a better-than-retail price for me. So I understand that local shops want you to buy the irons there, but I am honest and offer to pay for a good fitting and they turn me down. Not talking about a Dicks or Golf Galaxy, I'm talking about locally owned places that should be equipped to do this. If there were any demo days happening the rest of the year, this wouldn't be a problem. It's pretty frustrating. I'm offering $45 for like 10 minutes of their time. Seems like a good deal for them.

I have an email in to a local "golf academy" that may be able to do the fitting. If not, I guess I will try and get it done while I am in Myrtle Beach this weekend.

So I don't really expect anyone to have "the answer" for me on this. I guess I am just ranting.

Based on those charts, you will be wanting your pings about 1* flat because they are already 0.75*-1* flatter than what you are playing now.

Thanks CB. That's kinda what I would think, too.

I also just realized my thread title says "know end" and not "no end". I'm an idiot.

Well... sorry to add to the confusion, but you also need to compare the lengths of the irons. Length and lie go hand in hand.

Well... sorry to add to the confusion, but you also need to compare the lengths of the irons. Length and lie go hand in hand.
ohhhhh good point, I would just call Ping and explain, they seem like they are pretty good at fitting people for ugly irons.:alien:

Take the length/loft/lie of the AP2's and have them built to that. Not the best way as the shaft bend/COG location in head can change lie needs a little but I have done this for folks that I shipped custom built sets to. Close enough for 99% of the golfing population.

By the way I wouldn't be talking to much about the way you are buying them. Most companies frown on such deals and Ping is one company that frowns the most.

hackin

Back