European Players On Top of World Rankings

misfitacds

Reaction score
Handicap
There are several European players in the top 5 of the world rankings. Does this represent a changing of the guard?

I don't know about a changing of the guard so much as just a bright moment in European golf history. There are still plenty of Americans in the top 50 and even more in the top 100. Not a single one of the three best Americans (Woods, Mickelson, or Stricker) have hit the ball all that well of late but they will settle into their grooves soon. While Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer have incredibly solid games are expected to be in the top 5 for some time to come, I'm not sure that Luke Donald has a driver that will keep him at #3 for long. Hopefully, next week we will see some better play from the big three Americans.

i think europeans are playing better than americans, kaymer became #1 by playing most of his tournaments in europe, which means he wasn't taking ranking points away from american players

Westwood still hasn't convinced me that he is the second best golfer in the world. Kaymer is fantastic and Donald is a fluke. When/if Tiger figures his new swing out, it won't take long for him to return to #1. When he has 90% of his game he is better than every golfer's best game, including Kaymer.

. When/if Tiger figures his new swing out, it won't take long for him to return to #1. When he has 90% of his game he is better than every golfer's best game, including Kaymer.

And when was the last time that happened? 500 days?

I think the Europeans are deeper than the americans. I remember all the talk surrounding the ryder cup beforehand was about how deep europe is and how much of a favorite they were to win. They have better golfers at this moment and their guys aren't old, they're probably not going anywhere.

The question i, and a lot of others, probably have is why? Is it just a random cycle where europe is going through a plush stretch of great golf talents? Is there a "problem" in america in developing our talent (i touched on this in the wgr thread)? Is american just not that good at producing a lot of great golfers (during the tiger era, outside of tiger and phil who was a great american talent? the third best american golf the past decade has been my main man steve stricker, who was nearly out of the game 13 years ago. doesn't say much for overall talent if a guy who was nearly out of the game is one of the 3 best players in this country)?

And when was the last time that happened? 500 days?

Over a full tournament, sadly yes. We have glimpses of what he can do over the course of one round here and there. That 66 on the 3rd day of the US open was special. He has had good rounds, just not 4 good rounds in a row.

Over a full tournament, sadly yes. We have glimpses of what he can do over the course of one round here and there. That 66 on the 3rd day of the US open was special. He has had good rounds, just not 4 good rounds in a row.

So has every single golfer in the field. He will be back to win a tournament at some point, but to say that TW at 90% is better than anybody else out there right now is borderline laughable in my opinion.

So has every single golfer in the field. He will be back to win a tournament at some point, but to say that TW at 90% is better than anybody else out there right now is borderline laughable in my opinion.

Have to agree. Tigers run is over. He will win again but nothing like before. Not too many players scared of him right now and that was his edge for a longtime.

And you're entitled to that opinion. No doubt that the field has gotten better. No doubt that Tiger has gotten worse. But Tiger Woods in 00-08 had that type of game. I don't think he will ever get back there. I just hope he gets back to being able to win.

When I look at the World rankings, I see a pretty good mix of players from all over the world. The US has 36 in the top 100 and Europe has 31. The US has only had 5 of the 14 number 1's so I don't see where much has changed since the rankings started. We were just spoiled by Tigers 623 weeks on top. I would agree with others who have pointed out that Europe has moved forward in their numbers in the top 100 the past 10 years or so.

Back