New Irons Choice - Help Please

Fair enough, this is the good info I need ;) Having only been playing a relatively short amount of time I figured it was like other sports I played (i.e. american football) where the best way to get better was to challenge yourself and play against better opponents. If I played verses poorer opposition then I wouldn't learn anything so would stay the same.

Some want to find things to work into, but there is nothing wrong with playing clubs with forgiveness. I have been playing this game for a very long time. Grew up playing blades, and only reached a single digit handicap when I switched to clubs that offer more forgiveness.

If you are a good ball striker, check out the Cleveland CG tour - or the new Cleveland CG1's

Knowing you missed it and on which side can be had with any iron

I don't agree with this. The difference in feedback between some irons is astounding, from my experience. But again, it depends on whether you value this feedback in your game or not.

I don't agree with this. The difference in feedback between some irons is astounding, from my experience. But again, it depends on whether you value this feedback in your game or not.

I think that feedback on many players cavitys and GI irons has improved dramatically over the last 2 years.

I think that feedback on many players cavitys and GI irons has improved dramatically over the last 2 years.

This is true. I remember hitting some Big Bertha irons quite a few years ago. I took a swing and couldn't tell you if I'd actually hit the ball at all.

Well of course some irons make it painfully obvious you mishit it but few people can tell with any accuracy where or how they missed it. A thin shot might be diagnosed as a toe miss etc. Especially higher handicappers who, imo, get no real benefit in trying to analyze where they missed and how to fix it because of the reason i just mentioned, they don't know. I have never seen an iron that will cover up a toe or heel hit, they just make those misses less severe. You play with a driver don't you. They have very little feedback so why would you want/need that in an iron. Its all marketing. The only real benefit to blades is workability which means forged GI clubs basically have no advantage. They may "feel" nicer but they won't help your game at all.

which means forged GI clubs basically have no advantage. They may "feel" nicer but they won't help your game at all.

Are there any? I mean I know plenty of forged players cavitys, but off the top of my head I cant think of a forged GI iron. Im sure I am missing one.

They have very little feedback so why would you want/need that in an iron. Its all marketing.

I found myself just about agreeing up to that point. To say that placing value on feedback from irons is a ploy by the manufacturer is a bit off, imo.

Are there any? I mean I know plenty of forged players cavitys, but off the top of my head I cant think of a forged GI iron. Im sure I am missing one.

Yah I'm confused by this also. Is he considering any cavity backed club GI?

I think you could argue the Callaway Diablo forged is a GI iron.

I think you could argue the Callaway Diablo forged is a GI iron.

good point, as is the mx200, mx300 right?

Diablo Edge forged maybe. But the 200 and 300 from Mizuno both offer smaller club head, less perimeter weighting, no offset on one and very little on the other and thinner sole and topline. That is a players cavity to me.

Diablo Edge forged maybe. But the 200 and 300 from Mizuno both offer smaller club head, less perimeter weighting, no offset on one and very little on the other and thinner sole and topline. That is a players cavity to me.

true that! i wouldn't consider the DF a true GI iron then either. i've read this thread with a piqued interest and i keep thinking back to the fact that this conversation/arguement/debate/banter is something that probably goes on in most golf related forums as well as in any group of golfers i've ever been associated with. seems to me that guys, and i'm not pointing a finger at anyone here, tend to think that player's irons are somehow better than gi irons or super gi irons, that somehow, there's a level of "golf" associated with someone based off of what they play.

i use to play a forged players iron for a couple of years. they felt great and i am a decent ball stiker, but misses were harsh and they are unrelenting, unforgiveable beasts when you just don't have your swing going on the day. i made the switch to a gi iron and my scores and hcp have both dropped, consistently and considerably. to me, it's a pride thing, and i'm not too proud not to shoot lower scores.

i say to the OP, test everything on your short list, let data make your decision. you obviously have a short list based off what you like the look of and that's fantastic!

I would say that the DF is a GI iron. I have found them to be pretty forgiving.

Yep, the shortlist is based on a discussion I had with a fitter yesterday. He tried to steer me towards severe GI irons based on my handicap (an assumption I don't like as it tends to be poor putting that adds strokes for me, but he never asked). Then once I explained I liked the look more of "better players" irons he came up with the wilson's and yoenix's. These looked good at address whilst still having forgiving features, I just need to hit them now.

My reasons for not liking the GI irons are that when I tried hitting the Mizuno MX200's and the Ping G15's (both recommended by various websites), I felt like I was hitting it fat and chunky, they just didn't feel crisp to me.

My reasons for not liking the GI irons are that when I tried hitting the Mizuno MX200's and the Ping G15's (both recommended by various websites), I felt like I was hitting it fat and chunky, they just didn't feel crisp to me.

Wait, are you sure it was the MX-200s? They are not chunky at all. In fact they are VERY thin and to me no different top line wise than most of your list.

Yep, the shortlist is based on a discussion I had with a fitter yesterday. He tried to steer me towards severe GI irons based on my handicap (an assumption I don't like as it tends to be poor putting that adds strokes for me, but he never asked). Then once I explained I liked the look more of "better players" irons he came up with the wilson's and yoenix's. These looked good at address whilst still having forgiving features, I just need to hit them now.

see, now they aren't on your list! i can tell you that it's a good thing to have a list, seek them out and hit them, you'll know immediately which ones make the cut and which one's do not. you may want to add the diablo forged irons to your list though, from what i hear they feel fantastic, look good at address (nice small lines and minimal offset), and that they are forgiving.

Wait, are you sure it was the MX-200s? They are not chunky at all. In fact they are VERY thin and to me no different top line wise than most of your list.

Possibly not then ;)

It's easy to get mixed up with the Mizuno's, they all sound the same. Lol

What about A4's? I think they're GI's. They're not "true" forged irons, but feedback is awesome and they're plenty forgiving.

MX 200s are huge with a ton of offset. They are most def. GI irons. They are bigger than my I5's which i consider GI irons. You may be thinking SGI jb. Players cavities to me are the splits or the mp series cavities. In fact thats why they put the 200 and 300 in the mx series which is designed to be GI.

I found myself just about agreeing up to that point. To say that placing value on feedback from irons is a ploy by the manufacturer is a bit off, imo.

Well think about it, why on earth would you need any more feedback than you would get from a cast club? Like I said most people can't diagnose what they "feel" accurately anyways. A midcapper playing those type of clubs to me is like buying a 1500 dollar mountain bike to learn to ride on, it makes no sense. Notice now most pros are moving away from blades. Only about 10 percent of the tour still plays em.

i agree with JB i love my r9 irons they are forgiving when i need them to be but the blade length is short enough that i can work the ball also they are so sweet and smooth when you make solid contact you know it and the ball flies very pure

i agree with JB i love my r9 irons they are forgiving when i need them to be but the blade length is short enough that i can work the ball also they are so sweet and smooth when you make solid contact you know it and the ball flies very pure

How do you feel about your gap from 9 iron to 52* wedge? The Taylor Made site lists the 9 iron as having 41* loft, now an 11* gap to me sounds crazy, must be a good 20-30 yards.

I've had a look round english golf stockists and it appears as though the Diablo Forged irons aren't readilly available over here, and the ones I have found are retailing at around £550-600 which is £100-200 more than other clubs I'm looking at.

On a side note, I shot 80 today :D which is my best ever round, I had a 10ft putt on 16 for birde that lipped out. I was so close to breaking 80...next time!!

Back