Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

I'm loving my supertri...The stock motore was ok, but too whippy for me. I ended up getting a Mia blue after reading reviews on them and I am crushing the ball. Better than ever!

I snuck in a quick 18 today and on the 18th hole the guys playing behind finally caught up to me. One of the guys had the super tri and he let me use it. Wow. I think I'm going to have to head over to golfsmith tomorrow and play with it some more.

just got my R9 SuperTri yesterday and I tried it out at the range today... I'm liking it so far... I had the 09 Burner... liked the Burner but the flexibility on the SuperTri intrigued me... and it looks sooo nice! LoLz... I have my stock SuperTri on (L) and have the weight on the heel since I have a tendency to slice... let's just say that out of 50 shots, maybe 2 or 3 had a bad slice... most were straight and some were nice fades... when I hit it good, I get about 240-250 yrds and I normally only get 215-225 yrds... looking forward to testing it on the course this weekend... :)

After the last few rounds, this one is firmly in my bag. I just love what I am getting out of it.

After following this thread for a while, I just happened to find an used TP at the local RD.
Felt pretty good with the Matrix shaft, so it followed me home. . .

First range session was just ok, but I think I need to get used to the length coming from the ft-9.
Definitely worth some more range time and a few rounds.

Stopped by golfsmith to hit the R9 Supertri and I need to start saving my pennies.

Neutral upright had me hitting that elusive draw I've been looking for. Next up find me a place where I can test some shafts (including the Miyazaki).

Stopped by golfsmith to hit the R9 Supertri and I need to start saving my pennies.

Neutral upright had me hitting that elusive draw I've been looking for. Next up find me a place where I can test some shafts (including the Miyazaki).

Golfsmith should have the Miyazaki.

The last time I was in Golf Galaxy they had started keeping Miyazaki in stock too. I was surprised by this actually but its good to see!

To plug into an R9 ST or just to try? Either way, I'll give them a call! Thanks JB.

Great review JB. And to prove it... I just got my hands on a new R9 SuperTri TP Matrix Ozik HD6!

today was my 1st day out with the SuperTri... it didn't disappoint me one bit... I was hitting the fairway almost all the time... maybe missed one or two fairways... and the ball always went straight... slice was very minimal at all since I have the shaft set on (L) and the heavier weight on the heel... I felt very confident hitting the ball off the tee... too bad my short game and putting were horrendous today... shot a 99... it's been a while since I shot high 90's... anyway, I'm very very happy with my SuperTri... :)

I love the sound and feel of this thing. That and the shaft change is a freaking winner.

Not as long as my Diablo Edge was but much more accurate and "sneaky long". Its a winner. I finally found a driver I'm happy with (I really think the ability to tinker settings has helped with that).

I love the sound and feel of this thing. That and the shaft change is a freaking winner.

Not as long as my Diablo Edge was but much more accurate and "sneaky long". Its a winner. I finally found a driver I'm happy with (I really think the ability to tinker settings has helped with that).

I felt the same way about this one. Made a shaft change and I got even more distance out of the SuperTri than my Diablo Edge with the same shaft.

Love the Supertri with the stock Motore shaft, didn't gain much distance, but the balls are much straighter than my Titleist.

Love the Supertri with the stock Motore shaft, didn't gain much distance, but the balls are much straighter than my Titleist.

Nothing like finding something that keeps it straight is there?

Nothing like finding something that keeps it straight is there?

Haha, I've found it gives the strange ability to keep the golfer sane/happy on course. It's nice.

The ST unleashed some bombs this week at our annusal scrable at the state coaches clinic, nice.

Haha, I've found it gives the strange ability to keep the golfer sane/happy on course. It's nice.

The ST unleashed some bombs this week at our annusal scrable at the state coaches clinic, nice.

I love being sane on the course.

I love being sane on the course.

Yep, insane on the course just never works out so well when I try it lol

I just ordered my SuperTri this morning. I went with the Fubuki 63 shaft. I can't wait for it to arrive. When I tested it side by side with my current driver I averaged 15 more yards with the SuperTri. I am so hyped for this thing!

I am going to hit this driver tonight and figure out which shaft will work for me.
I can't wait !!!

I am going to hit this driver tonight and figure out which shaft will work for me.
I can't wait !!!

Good luck, Drum. I love this driver, particuarly the fact that you can adjust it (I have the face open 1 degree in mine).

I can't wait !!!

Keep us in the loop on what happens

Will do !

Keep us in the loop on what happens

Ok...here's the story of tonights trial...

The local golf shop only had 9.5 and 10.5 clubs in the stock stiff shaft for me to try. I only hit the 9.5 and here are the results.

After 25 swings hitting Srixon balls indoors....

Avg. club head speed - 106 mph
Avg. ball speed - 154 mph
Avg. Launch angle - 11.5 deg
Avg. carry - 269 yds

The club felt great and the shot dispersion was very tight. I hit my baby fade almost every time. (I'd like to draw it sometimes, but you know how that goes)
There was a few guys there that wanted to hit other drivers, so I couldn't hit the club with a bunch of adjustments.
The launch angle avg went down a little when we closed the club face 2 deg. It started out at about 13.5 degrees in the neutral position.
I didn't move the weights around due to other hitters wanting the launch monitor.

I don't think I can justify a real spendy shaft, so I would have to stick with the stock shaft....for now anyways.
The golf shop wants $399.99 for this and I would get a $100.00 gift card with it to spend in the store.
I asked if I could bypass the card and discount the club, but....no can do.

I would love to hear opinions on the numbers I have provided to help me decide if this is the club for me.

Any opinions on my numbers?

Back