My new Miyazaki C. Kua shaft review

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
Club shafts seem to be a big topic here on THP. When one typically thinks about improving their golf equipment, clubs are the first thing that come to mind. Changing shafts probably doesnt even come into most golfer's mind. That was the case for me until a few months ago, when I stumbled across a few reviews from JB and tcalloway1 about Miyazaki shafts. I looked into them further, and fell in love with their concept and designs.

So now I have a chance to talk to Miyazaki's rep, Tim Gillis, and shaft a Miyazaki C. Kua into my R9 460, all thanks to the Miyazaki shaft giveaway contest. A BIG thanks to both Miyazaki and THP for giving me this opportunity. I hope to document the whole process, and report back my findings to all you golfers that perhaps have never thought about changing shafts. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I hope I will be overjoyed with my findings, but I promise I will be truthful, even if it turns out disappointing.

A little about me: I started golfing about one year ago, using Ben Hogan's Five Lessons to teach myself. When I first started, I was shooting easily in the 100-120 range. Over the first 6 months, I pretty much taught myself. Over the last 6 months, I've employed the advice of Andy the Pro, alongside some instuction from THP member RickyLanning (my wife's instructor), to change up my swing a little. The result is a handicap just under 18, and getting lower each month. My driving: carry distance of about 210-240, straight to slight fade. Ball flight is medium, not high, and not too low. I do feel I might be losing some distance because of that, but not sure.

Beyond that, I can't wait to talk to Tim Gillis and see what he thinks. I will continue to update this thread with my experience, pictures, and maybe a few comparisons to the stock shaft I currently game.

Last edited:
Subscribed.

I am so jealous of you! Best of luck and tear up the course once things get settled

thats awesome sacul! congrats and enjoy!

Subscribed as well...I can't wait to read more about your experience sacul, I know firsthand how big of a difference a top end shaft can make! Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Sacul,
I think you mean Tim Gillis.

i think he's just excited!! sacul, i'm glad you have the opportunity to go through this. i must say, i am completely jealous though. i look forward to reading your thoughts and hearing about all of your experiences with this opportunity.

Very cool! Cant wait to hear your thoughts on this shaft!

good luck Sacul, can't wait to hear your thoughts on your experience with Tim.

Really looking forward to reading your thoughts and results.

I'm just getting to the stage where I'm toying with the idea of reshafting a club or 2.

Thanks JB, I actually realized my mistake last night after I posted, but running out of the house last night took precidence. Fixed now.

Talked to Tim Gillis today, really nice guy. The converstation was shorter than I was expecting, probably only about 10 minutes. But he wanted to know what shaft and driver I was currently using, and I also informed him that I switched from a reg to stiff about 2 months back. I pretty much told him everything I said in my original post, and he said he had a pretty good idea of what to shaft me with. Package should be here mid-next week.

The most suprising thing he mentioned was that if I didnt feel the shaft fit me right, I should contact him and he'll see if he can change things up a bit. That was pretty cool, as I would think that once a club is shafted, that's the shaft you're stuck with. I dont know if that's Miyazaki's company policy, but it sure showed he truely cares about how the shaft's performance fits my swing.

I will update with pics of a package when it arrives... CANT WAIT!

fantastic! sounds like it's a combo of Tim being a great guy and wonderful customer service
Thanks JB, I actually realized my mistake last night after I posted, but running out of the house last night took precidence. Fixed now.

Talked to Tim Gillis today, really nice guy. The converstation was shorter than I was expecting, probably only about 10 minutes. But he wanted to know what shaft and driver I was currently using, and I also informed him that I switched from a reg to stiff about 2 months back. I pretty much told him everything I said in my original post, and he said he had a pretty good idea of what to shaft me with. Package should be here mid-next week.

The most suprising thing he mentioned was that if I didnt feel the shaft fit me right, I should contact him and he'll see if he can change things up a bit. That was pretty cool, as I would think that once a club is shafted, that's the shaft you're stuck with. I dont know if that's Miyazaki's company policy, but it sure showed he truely cares about how the shaft's performance fits my swing.

Thats awesome Sacul. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this shaft specifically on how it reacts to when you try and step on it a little bit for more distance. Sincy your posting today I guess you got out of your house last night. I hope your house is doing alright as well.

Sacul - Hope you don't mind, but instead of starting a separate thread, I thought I would post about my call here with yours.

I also spoke with Tim this morning. Our conversation went along much like Sacul's. We talked about what I am playing now, and I told him about previous store fittings I had done in the past. The last time I had been fitted, they had fitted me with a low launch shaft with a lower loft (9 deg) head. I mentioned that the overall combination was too low, and he suggested that maybe I could pair those lower launching shafts with a higher loft head instead of trying to adjust shafts and staying at the lower loft. For some reason, that was so simple and obvious, but I had never thought of it, and it had not been suggested to me in the past.

I really enjoyed the conversation and can't wait to see what Tim sends as my shaft. Now I just have to find someone to install it.

Sacul - Hope you don't mind, but instead of starting a separate thread, I thought I would post about my call here with yours.

I also spoke with Tim this morning. Our conversation went along much like Sacul's. We talked about what I am playing now, and I told him about previous store fittings I had done in the past. The last time I had been fitted, they had fitted me with a low launch shaft with a lower loft (9 deg) head. I mentioned that the overall combination was too low, and he suggested that maybe I could pair those lower launching shafts with a higher loft head instead of trying to adjust shafts and staying at the lower loft. For some reason, that was so simple and obvious, but I had never thought of it, and it had not been suggested to me in the past.

I really enjoyed the conversation and can't wait to see what Tim sends as my shaft. Now I just have to find someone to install it.

No problem... we can rave and rant together!

3:30 pm today I sat on my couch a nervous wreck. I've been waiting all week for that dang doorbell to ring, to no avail. 3:30 is usually when the delivery man stops by. 3:45... 4:00... I gave up hope, and went about my daily duties. Then, a ring! I rush to the door, silently cursing the solicitor that probably stands there, and praying I'd be wrong. To my delight, I was wrong!

IMG_7851.jpg

I opened the box up, and to my suprise, a bright blue Miyazaki Kusala 61g shaft! The international flex read 5544, I had guessed I was a 6655, so not to far off. I have to say I was expecting a C. Kua because that's what the contest was announced, but I'm not disappointed in the least. To be honest, I was afraid the C. Kua would be too different from what I'm used to, and perhaps Tim picked up on that. Reguardless, this is what the master has deemed fit for the student, and so I humbly oblige. I took it to my local golf shop after snapping some pics, and told it will be ready for pickup Monday night.

I will take some pics in the sunlight when I get the shaft back, the photos dont do the graphics justice!

IMG_7860.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

awesome sacul! your gonna love that shaft!

Awesome Sacul. I spoke to Tim and he said after speaking with you he felt as though you were looking to stay similar in weight. He took in a bunch of info and felt as though this was the best shaft for you based on that. He was looking forward to you trying it out and giving feedback and if it did not work for you, he will make some adjustments. It sure is pretty.

Awesome Sacul. I spoke to Tim and he said after speaking with you he felt as though you were looking to stay similar in weight. He took in a bunch of info and felt as though this was the best shaft for you based on that. He was looking forward to you trying it out and giving feedback and if it did not work for you, he will make some adjustments. It sure is pretty.

I love the artwork on the Kusala.

That's about right. I couldn't be happier! We'll see what happens on the range...

That Kusala is beautiful Sacul. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but mail runs slower in Tennessee :act-up:

Little hick-up... The local shop called and informed me that they dont carry R9 adapters. So now I've ordered one from GolfWorks (the only place beside e-bay I could find one). It'll be another week or two before I can hit it... SIGH!

That Kusala is beautiful Sacul. Mine hasn't arrived yet, but mail runs slower in Tennessee :act-up:

Yeah, Tim is in San Diego, and I'm in LA, so shipping was pretty quick. I'd guess you'll get yours tomorrow!

My Miyazaki arrived today...I got the same one that Sacul did, Kusala Blue 61S. I am very excited as I got to hit this one (if I remember right) in Florida and it was just fantastic. Now just to get it installed in the Diablo Edge.

Since my pics will look exactly like Sacul's, I'm just going to post them once in the Contest Winner's thread here in a bit.

Thanks again to THP and Miyazaki, and I will post more once I get it installed and get a chance to try it out.

My R9 adapter arrived today, so now I hand it off tomorrow, and hopefully have a shaft by the end of the week. I cant wait! My driving has been spot on lately, last round I hit 7/7 FIR. Looking forward to seeing what this puppy can do for me!

Back