Revelation on the Range

TMSHACKS

Bridgestone Staffer
Reaction score
So I have a members range pass which gives unlimited range time at the local Jack Nicklaus course. Bought it last sunday and spent 4 hours sunday, 2.5 hrs wednesday and then about 6 hours today.

Anyways I plan on putting in more range time this season than course time at least 2 or 3 grueling days on the range a week. Today about 2 hours into my session I had a revelation. I kept focusing on 2 or 3 things to do in my swing and was THINKING ABOUT THE SWING TOO MUCH... people have criticized tiger for this same thing right now and said the same thing about Padraig last season. They say focus on the shot and where you are gonna put the ball and not too much on every little detail within the swing. Im not comparing myself to TW or padraig just a metaphor

I made solid contact all day but was pulling and pushing some shots for the first 2 hours.. after I relaxed and just stopped thinking about every little detail I was hitting all my target greens and hit the ball well. Hope it carries over to my round tomorrow.

I hope the next time your on the range you think about the post and if your struggling at some point throughout your bucket. Step back, forget about all the little mechanix and just hit the ball. Trust your swing it feels good.

o btw john cook was standing behind me today and said my swing clicked...

il prolly miss the fairway tomorrow and take 3 to get out of a tree

6 hours at the range... were you bashing balls the entire time? When I went to Wal-mart, I would get a pack of Nitro golf balls. They were $5 for 15 balls. I have 2 milk crates filled with them - about 400 balls total. I can execute swing drills, use my impact bag and finish a crate of balls in less than an hour...

I hope you were hitting range balls like people workout at the gym... hit one ball, talk for 20 - 30 minutes... hit two balls, talk for 15 - 20 minutes.. :)

Sounds like you had quite the workout. i can only hit balls for about an hour and I get tired and my back starts to hurt. I try to take my time and go through my set up every time. But I start rushing after a while. I have gotten better but sometimes my sessions get to quick./ fast paced.

how was Cook hitting the ball?

Must be nice to finish a day off at the range and be able to compare yourself to Tiger, J/k :laugh:

When I hit the range I always try to go through the complete set up but nobody else ever does. Eventually, in an effort to not be the Tour Pro wannabe with an 18 handicap I just pick a target and shoot. It'd be nice if one of my friends was serious about game improvement as I'd like to be a single digit handicapper.

The lowest rounds of golf I have played have been "thought free" for lack of a better term. I just knew that the ball was going where I wanted it to go. Never focused on mechanics, technique or anything other than the shot I was stepping into to hit. Wish I able to play "thought free" golf on demand. Just doesn't happen for me.

I think this is a great example of the two basic types of golfers: thinkers and feel players. I am completely a feel player so I hardly ever overthink the swing and that is my downfall. I usually have one swing thought and that is to swing from inside-out. Occasionally I won't even think that and end up pulling the ball off line. I need to work on keeping that one thought when I swing.

I know when I think about things to focus on in my swing, it always leads to poor shots. The 2nd biggest problem i have is sometimes while overthinking I don't relax my shoulders and I am very stiff through the swing.

This is why I never give tips to people on the course. It messes them up and they think the tip is no good. The time for adjustments to your swing are on the range not at the course IMHO

Back