Which irons to try?

UNCFan6

Low Round of 64
Reaction score
Handicap
I know there are plenty of threads on irons and peoples thoughts on them as i have been reading some but i figured it would be easier to get some more thoughts in here. Tomorrow i plan on going to my home course and hitting a bunch of irons, as i'm in need of a new set. Right now i have Nike CCI irons(ill post a picture at bottom if u don't know them) and looking for irons no bigger then these maybe even a little bit smaller. I hit the TM MBs today and they were very solid but not sure if i'm ready for a full blade yet(would really consider a combo set tho). Basically just post up some good iron sets i should demo tomorrow. My Head Pro is on Mizuno staff so i'll have a whole bunch of them to test out but post up which ones you think are the best of them etc.

Feel is top priority as well as looks. Forgiveness is also important to me with the longer irons. Most irons are fairly workable so that isn't a big concern as i mainly do that by changing my swing path anyway. Thanks in advance and i'll be checking and replying often in here.

My Current Irons:
139_P_1302527223511.jpg

Try as many as you can. That's the best advice

Tap tap taparoo

Ping Anser irons (very pricy) are wonderful. Titleist AP2's are great and I also really liked the Callaway Raxr X Forged Irons. The shaft will really have an affect on the feel of the club. I honestly feel a world of difference in the dynamic gold S300/X100 shafts compared to the project X 6.0 shafts I'm hitting. I did like the feel of the dynamic gold more, but I hit the project X the best. Another factor, which I'm sure you are aware of is the grips... Golf Pride VDR or the decade grips are great.

Good luck tomorrow!

true that guys but im trying to narrow it down a bit with the top picks from all the brands. Not sure if my course will have every iron available but hopefully they will have most. Knew they didn't have the Taylormades which is why i hit them today.

Ping Anser irons (very pricy) are wonderful. Titleist AP2's are great and I also really liked the Callaway Raxr X Forged Irons. The shaft will really have an affect on the feel of the club. I honestly feel a world of difference in the dynamic gold S300/X100 shafts compared to the project X 6.0 shafts I'm hitting. I did like the feel of the dynamic gold more, but I hit the project X the best. Another factor, which I'm sure you are aware of is the grips... Golf Pride VDR or the decade grips are great.

Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks. I know my head pro doesn't deal with Pings so they aren't an option. Was looking to hit both the AP2s and Raxr X irons prolly both forged and tours. I will be doing the shaft optimzer first then hitting the irons. I have NDMC grips ready if they can't grip them with it on order.

Just get fit, and hit everything you can get your hands on, but since your looking for advice, my favorites for this year based on what you're looking for are:
- Taylormade MC's
- Callaway RXT's

I will be hitting the R11's soon hopefully.

Not really sure what you are looking for, but here is a list of a lot of the GE irons currently out. You can check out the THP Demo Day review threads from each brand and hear what THPers had to say about almost every iron listed here.

Callaway - RXT, RX Forged
TaylorMade - MC, CB
Cleveland - CG16 Tour
Nike - VR Pro Combo
Adams - CB1 or 2
Bridgestone - J38 DPC
Wilson Staff - Ci9 or FG Tour
Mizuno - JPX-800 Pro or MP line
Titleist - AP2
Srixon - ZTX2
Cobra - S3 Pro
Ping - i15 or Anser Forged

Not really sure what you are looking for, but here is a list of a lot of the GE irons currently out. You can check out the THP Demo Day review threads from each brand and hear what THPers had to say about almost every iron listed here.

Callaway - RXT, RX Forged
TaylorMade - MC, CB
Cleveland - CG16 Tour
Nike - VR Pro Combo
Adams - CB1 or 2
Bridgestone - J38 DPC
Wilson Staff - Ci9 or FG Tour
Mizuno - JPX-800 Pro or MP line
Titleist - AP2
Srixon - ZTX2
Cobra - S3 Pro
Ping - i15 or Anser Forged

Do you got a link JB?

Do you got a link JB?

Just do a quick search with "title only" of the irons you're curious about and it will come up.

I agree with most people and try everything out there. I got a set of MCs this year and it's by far the best iron I've ever hit. They are forgiving and very workable. I do have the KBS shaft in them which isn't stock. When you go try what you visually like then hit them but make sure you can try as many shafts as possible because that can make a huge difference in what you get.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

My advice is that you should try:
:nike: Pro combo
:mizuno: MP-53 or 63
:titleist: CB or MB (or, if you can find them, ZB)
:callaway: Razr X forged

Do you got a link JB?

Advanced search, title only
Then company name demo day review and you should have TONS of info.

If you are able to, find the Boccieri heavy irons to try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

What's the newest Mizuno Irons out?

My club use to have the heavy putters Thainer but idk if they will have the heavy irons, have to check tomorrow. Was in a golf galaxy for the first time on thursday and it was like heaven. Nothing like that close to me here :(

There is always the option of contacting Boccieri directly and asking them if they could loan you a demo 6-iron. I would expect that theyd say yes if you told them your situation. I really love my irons and I came from Nike Blades (that I hit well).
My club use to have the heavy putters Thainer but idk if they will have the heavy irons, have to check tomorrow. Was in a golf galaxy for the first time on thursday and it was like heaven. Nothing like that close to me here :(

I'm not sure if they are for you but I hit the Mizuno JPX's last week at Golfsmith and they were nice. Actually very nice but I am waiting for the R-11's to come out and hit them against the TP CB's and the Mizuno JPX's. I've hit everything but the R-11's so I am just waiting. The TP-CB's and the JPX's are both sick!

I think the top of my list right now are

Callaway Razr X tour
Taylormade MC
Titliest AP2
Mizuno MP-63 & 53
Nike Victory Red Pro Combo

wish the R11s just came out so i could try them as well.

I think the top of my list right now are

Callaway Razr X tour
Taylormade MC
Titliest AP2
Mizuno MP-63 & 53
Nike Victory Red Pro Combo

wish the R11s just came out so i could try them as well.

I've hit every iron on your list minus the MC's and I would tell you without a doubt that the RXT's are the best iron for me. They are pleasantly surprising in every single category.

Btw, I use to game the CCI's myself (the forged version) and I've seen the rounds you shoot, I can't imagine the difference with any of those sets as I find most everything on your list to be superior to the cci's.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I am testing the Nike VR Pro Combos and enjoy them very much. I tested them against a few of the clubs you are looking at (a few days back), check the testing review thread for my thoughts. I will say the favorites of all of the clubs I have hit are the VR PCs and the TM MCs. You may even consider a TM MC/MB combo set. Like others have said, get fitted and hit everything.

I've hit every iron on your list minus the MC's and I would tell you without a doubt that the RXT's are the best iron for me. They are pleasantly surprising in every single category.

Btw, I use to game the CCI's myself (the forged version) and I've seen the rounds you shoot, I can't imagine the difference with any of those sets as I find most everything on your list to be superior to the cci's.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Thanks TC. I really enjoyed the CCI irons and i think they are a great iron for the money. I have gamed them for about 5 years now(had a 2 year break) and they feel great and are quite forgiving. I also enjoy the look of them as well. My main problem with them now are the uncontrollable hook i have at moments which im not sure if its the iron/lie of it(use to be 2 degree flat but switched these to standard cuz i changed my swing a bit) or the iron/shaft combo as i didn't get the shaft tested with the CCIs and have the stock shaft in them. My irons have always been a strong suit of my game as i feel im fairly long and accurate with them and it seems the CCIs are on the weak end loft wise from these others ive check out.

I am testing the Nike VR Pro Combos and enjoy them very much. I tested them against a few of the clubs you are looking at (a few days back), check the testing review thread for my thoughts. I will say the favorites of all of the clubs I have hit are the VR PCs and the TM MCs. You may even consider a TM MC/MB combo set. Like others have said, get fitted and hit everything.

Yea i am really considering a combo set as i love the look of blades and feel they would be wonderful in a pw/9/8. I hit the MB 6 iron demo decent today but would like for demos to be like an 7 or 8iron or have 2 of them for each demo club so u get a better feel of both the short and long iron.

Back