Razr X or Razr X Tour ?

hypovolemicshok

Reaction score
Handicap
I still have another session or two of hitting balls before I am going to figure out what clubs to buy but the Razr X and Razr X Tour are on my list. After talking with the Callaway Rep at the golf expo he told me since I need to change shafts to stiff that I would be better off to get the Tour's as the uniflex shafts are designed for the Razr X's and changing them would not optimize the head. He also told me that the "sweet spot" on both heads is the same size. Does this sound right? I currently use old Wilson Tour RM Forged clubs so I feel I would still be gaining quite a bit of forgiveness with the Razr Tour's compared to the Wilsons.

I've yet to hit either but I know I will be soon. I've been doing an immense amount of research on the RAZR lineup of irons and I can tell you that the Tours intrigue me the most. I've seen them in hand and I've made about 4 different forum members that I know and trust hit them. Almost all of them prefer the Tours over the other X series of irons. According to what I've read, they Tours do have a large sweet spot for a "tour" iron. They also feature minimal offset and thinner top lines than the RAZR X, yet seem to almost offer the same amount of distance and forgiveness. In fact, I believe they are identically the same when it comes to loft.

I hit the RazrX last night and really liked them. Real easy to hit and has that great Cally feel

They are very different irons in my opinion. One features a smaller club head and thinner areas around the club head. It is geared towards different turf interaction and a different player.

On looks alone so far the tours are my favorite. I haven't hit them yet although I plan to steal the demos at the course I go to soon just for the heck of it. The tours just look perfect size and shape wise, and I'm not a huge believe in uniflex shafts anyways for the regular versions.

I hit them both last night. I have never been a big fan of Callaway clubs but I will say that these are pretty good looking!! Both of them feel good and the misses weren't as bad with the X's which was to be expected. I was hitting the X's approx 10 yrds longer than the Tours, however if I had to choose it would def be the Tours for me. I love the Rifle shafts and I also am not a big fan of the Uniflex shafts.

I hit them both last night. I have never been a big fan of Callaway clubs but I will say that these are pretty good looking!! Both of them feel good and the misses weren't as bad with the X's which was to be expected. I was hitting the X's approx 10 yrds longer than the Tours, however if I had to choose it would def be the Tours for me. I love the Rifle shafts and I also am not a big fan of the Uniflex shafts.

Aren't both irons exactly the same loft though? Were you just missing a bit more with the Tour?

That is just the way things go with me apparently. I felt like I was getting a little more "jump" off the face of the X's. It is the same for me with any "players" club really. I am usually more consistent with the yardages with a "players" iron than with another. Couldn't tell you why.

Nevermind. Just looked up the specs, it appears as though the Tours are 1 degree weaker in loft.

Ahhh...thanks! I guess I'm not such an anomally afterall....hahahaha!

Curious how you would contrast the regular Razr X irons to the X-22 irons?

I think the Razr's feel a little more solid and give you a little more jump off the face. I like the overall look of them alot better as well.

Curious how you would contrast the regular Razr X irons to the X-22 irons?

For me the Rarz x is a much better iron than the 22. For the following resons. The razr x's have a better feel and about a club longer. The main difference is the improved sole design, thinner and is more playable resulting in crisp solid contact.
L57

It seems strange that it would have the same sweet spot size with different head sizes. How do you do that?

Just got the RAZRX (5-pw steel shaft) and played with it yesterday. I used to play TMR9 irons. Just want to say that Callaway got this one right, I think it's the best new irons out there. I loved the compact head, playability, distance and forgiveness. I recommend this irons, I think you won't go wrong with it! This one is a keeper!

I agree with JB here, these two club sets seem geared toward different groups of golfers. Personally, I would go with the Tour version for a few reasons:

A) I play clubs with minimal offset. I'm comfortable with that and prefer it.
2) I have hit the RAZR X Tour, and liked the feel right off the bat. Solid strike equaled solid shot.
D) Shaft options in the Tour.

Is there a price difference between the two versions? I am not in the market for irons at the moment, so I don't know. Good luck in your decision though - I have a feeling you won't be disappointed either way.

Is there a price difference between the two versions? I am not in the market for irons at the moment, so I don't know. Good luck in your decision though - I have a feeling you won't be disappointed either way.

I think when I hit them in GG there was a $100 jump between the 3 versions. I think the RazrX's were 699, tours 799 and forged 899

I do agree these are for slightly different players..... however be very realistic to your goals. I see a lot of people that think they need players clubs to become a player, but I take the attitude to play the most forgiving clubs possible until you truly expose the need for something else. I've got a set of non tours custom from Callaway with s300s. You can custom order whatever you want, both heads use parallel shafts. I call BS on the whole optimized for angle..... Getting clubs fit to your swing is optimization, not some guys with an iron byron who say this works well under xx swingspeed and xx attack angle so it'll work for you even though I've never seen you swing. I'm pretty sure they're just using the TT memphis 10s they've used for years, which are basically a high launch, soft stiff hook machine shafts (IMO).....

With my set, I'm hitting the ball as good as I ever have (9 cap) with less practice than usual since my son was born. The soles on the standards are narrow, way better than the G10s I had picked up before these, so to me turf interaction isn't an issue. I am a bit intrigued by the tours, but they'd have to give me a lot (and I mean a lot) better flight and spin control to give up the forgiveness..... I could see 8 iron and up going tour, but that costs more money so I'll try to resist even demoing them.

I do agree these are for slightly different players..... however be very realistic to your goals. I see a lot of people that think they need players clubs to become a player, but I take the attitude to play the most forgiving clubs possible until you truly expose the need for something else. I've got a set of non tours custom from Callaway with s300s. You can custom order whatever you want, both heads use parallel shafts. I call BS on the whole optimized for angle..... Getting clubs fit to your swing is optimization, not some guys with an iron byron who say this works well under xx swingspeed and xx attack angle so it'll work for you even though I've never seen you swing. I'm pretty sure they're just using the TT memphis 10s they've used for years, which are basically a high launch, soft stiff hook machine shafts (IMO).....

With my set, I'm hitting the ball as good as I ever have (9 cap) with less practice than usual since my son was born. The soles on the standards are narrow, way better than the G10s I had picked up before these, so to me turf interaction isn't an issue. I am a bit intrigued by the tours, but they'd have to give me a lot (and I mean a lot) better flight and spin control to give up the forgiveness..... I could see 8 iron and up going tour, but that costs more money so I'll try to resist even demoing them.

This is a good post higher ground. Thanks for sharing. I'm still a bit torn between the two for the Morgan cup but leaning toward the regulars.

Im torn as well, add me to the list haha. I had varying degrees of success with each version. I noticed on a miss the tour seemed to lose more distance but stayed on line better. I also felt more thin shots with the non tour. Either way I think its gonna depend what youre looking for and your game. Both are phenominal irons imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good post higher ground. Thanks for sharing. I'm still a bit torn between the two for the Morgan cup but leaning toward the regulars.

The regulars are fantastic. I have them with KBS Tours. I'm just not playing them due to the Di11's. I have hit the Tours and yes they do feel a bit better. I would stick with the forgiveness though because the regular X's are nice in the feel department as well.

The regulars are fantastic. I have them with KBS Tours. I'm just not playing them due to the Di11's. I have hit the Tours and yes they do feel a bit better. I would stick with the forgiveness though because the regular X's are nice in the feel department as well.

I think in the end the regulars will probably win out for the forgiveness factor. Unless I can hit them both outside and see something or feel something better from the Tours.

I think in the end the regulars will probably win out for the forgiveness factor. Unless I can hit them both outside and see something or feel something better from the Tours.

I will bring them with me to Demo Day if you want so you can try them with an upgraded shaft LMK. Of course I'm a midget so it might hinder you a little to swing kids clubs

...I noticed on a miss the tour seemed to lose more distance but stayed on line better.

This was my experience as well. I just don’t quite yet have the game for the tours. Pure strikes with the tours were my best shots, unfortunately, that happened maybe every 5 shots. For my current game the Razrx is the better choice, more forgiveness, less distance penalty for miss-hits. In the end it came down to the Razrx and the Cleveland CG16. For my game, the performance of both these irons was so close, it was hard to choose. I finally chose the CG16 based on a slightly softer feel at impact. It was a very hard choice as I really like the look of the thinner sole on the Razrx. In the end, I just chose the club that felt better (slightly) in my hand.

Back