Dumbazz42

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the process of looking at new drivers. I have always used a stiff shaft, but lately I have been wondering if an X would be more appropriate.

I know that I would be better served getting properly fitted, but I wanted to have a general knowledge base on the topic before I go in.

I currently play a Pro VX.

Irons are steel stiff shafted Mizuno MX-23s.

Yardages ---PW--135 9--148 8---160 7---172 6---185

I have always assumed that X shafts were not an option for me. However, some of my friends have indicated that the distances on my irons would indicate that an X shaft might be right for me.

I am wondering ,...what are the downfalls of a shaft that is too weak? And conversely, what are the negatives of a shaft that is too stiff?

Any opinions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Your distances are very similar to mine and I would never even consider playing an X. But of course there are a lot more things to consider in a shaft fitting. The problem with basing it off yardages, is that they mean very little in terms of fitting properly. Someone can hit a PW 135 with a X flex or a R flex.

Alot of newer clubs are bent strong also, so as JB said club distances really don't have anything to do with it.

I can hit a pull with an R flex shaft much further than I can hit it straight with an S flex shaft!

You might want to try shaftfit.com for some ideas.

Thats close to my distances as well and I got fit at Golf Tec for the Mizuno MP-58's and was fitted for the Project X 6.0. But as JB said there are many different factors that go in to fitting for a shaft. Swing speed, tempo, kick angle and much more. If you have the ability to get fit for the shaft I would go that route.

I am wondering ,...what are the downfalls of a shaft that is too weak? And conversely, what are the negatives of a shaft that is too stiff?
(My disclaimer here is that I don't hit nearly as many different clubs/shafts as some people here and these are just my opinions and experiences.)

In my experience, hitting a shaft that is too stiff will typically cause a lower ballflight and most misses will be to the right. A shaft that is too weak will tend to be a higher ballflight and the miss will be either right or left. I think just about anyone can adjust to any shaft over time, however that doesn't mean it will work the best for them.

I wouldn't put too much stock in how you hit irons. If your distances are correct, you are on par with about what I do. I use extra stiff (DG X-100) in my irons, and can hit any iron shaft out there, but I really don't like x-stiff in drivers (but my 3-wood is an x so figure that out). I don't swing all that hard with irons either (but I do with the driver). IMO it is all about the quality of the swing and timing. You don't need to swing hard to use an extra stiff shaft, you just have to be able to swing well.

Back