TC's Day of Club Fitting

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Well, I decided to spend some money today and spend a couple of hours with my local club fitter and I came away with some very interesting data. A lot of the reason why I wanted to go was to dial in the R11, but more so, to get an idea of what iron shaft works best for me, especially since having the Burner 2.0 irons with the 85 gram steel shafts. I've become fond of the lighter weight shaft but can't help but think, are they the right shafts for me?

R11 Driver

My fitter has a vector launch monitor and for the sake of the testing I used my golf ball that I play on the course with, Bridgestone's Tour B330RX. After warming up, we jumped right into the R11 and the results were quite interesting.

I have a 9* R11, with the Fubuki Alpha 60 Stiff shaft in it. We started out with everything set on standard and I proceeded to hit 12 shots and for my averages we threw out the worst 2 results. Here is what the averages were:

Clubhead speed - 111 mph
Launch Angle - 14.7*
Spin - 2388 rpms
Ball Speed - 162 mph
Carry - 276 yards

I was very pleased with these results and to be honest, never thought that I had that kind of club head speed average. I didn't include any total distance #'s b/c I think they are useless. We did notice that I had a very consistent cut/fade, about an average of 9 yards off of center so he wanted to close the face of the R11 by setting the hosel to "higher"

We then set the loft to higher by closing the face and left the ASP setting on Neutral. These results shocked me more than anything. Again, 12 shots, kicking out the worst 2 and here are my averages:

Clubhead speed - 110 mph
Launch Angle - 15.3*
Spin - 2601 rpms
ball speed - 160 mph
Carry - 281 yards

Fascinating stuff! I increased the spin a bit, increased the launch angle, decreased the clubhead and ball speed but saw an avg increase in carry distance of 4 yards!!!! Booyah!

I still saw a consistent cut/fade, but the average this time was 4 yards. I think I will leave it right here and not touch a thing.

Iron Shafts

I then decided that it was time to find out what sort of iron shaft is best for me. Especially with the Morgan Cup rolling around, I want to make sure that I am absolutely optimized and ready to go for this event.

He does have the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer but not for Left Handers so I did the next best thing: we took the JPX 800 demo head and paired it with a few shafts for the sake of the testing. This was really cool and I walked away with my brain in overdrive.

Again, I used the Bridgestone Tour B330RX golf ball for all shots and a vector was used to gather data.

We started out gathering data from my current 6iron, the Taylormade Burner 2.0. I have the stock, stiff, steel shafts and here's what we found:

ball speed - 127 mph
clubhead speed - 88 mph
launch angle - 24.6*
backspin/side spin - 4100 rpms/-1.1
carry - 201 yards
shot height - 49'

Project X 6.0

ball speed - 123 mph
clubhead speed - 90 mph
launch angle - 25*
backspin/side spin - 5400 rpms/-2.2
carry - 178 yards
shot height - 45'

DG S300

ball speed - 124 mph
clubhead speed - 89 mph
launch angle - 24.3*
backspin/side spin - 4900 rpms/-2.4
carry - 183 yards
shot height - 44'

KBS Tour Stiff

ball speed - 126 mph
clubhead speed - 95 mph
launch angle - 24.1*
backspin/side spin - 6000 rpms/-1.7
carry - 176 yards
shot height - 49'

KBS Tour XStiff

ball speed - 125 mph
clubhead speed - 92 mph
launch angle - 23.7*
backspin/side spin - 4400 rpms/-0.3
carry - 188 yards
shot height - 42'

Nippon NS Pro 950 GH

ball speed - 122 mph
clubhead speed - 93 mph
launch angle - 23.7*
backspin/side spin - 5700 rpms/-1.2
carry - 171 yards
shot height - 40'

The enigma was the Nippon. All of the #'s looked great, except for carry distance. It just didn't make a lot of sense other than it just never peaked as high as some of the others, thus causing a slight decrease in carry distance.

In the end, and to my complete surprise, he highly recommend that I get the KBS Tour XStiff, soft stepped. He noticed that I prefer the weight of the lighter shafts (Nippon/KBS) but that I just need the stiffness I was getting from the Xstiff. Even though I didn't have the option to demo it, he also thought that the S300 XP's, hard stepped, would be a great option but to me, the KBS' felt very, very smooth.

I have to tell you guys, this was an eye opener for me. I would highly recommend everyone try to find someone who is knowledgeable and who is outfitted with this type of technology and go find out what works best for you.

Thanks for reading.

TC that is an incredible writeup. Some fantastic numbers as well man!

Those numbers are serious bro. I dont think Id touch that R11 ever again, as far as setting go. Good read man.

Thanks for sharing TC, love to hear the fitting experiences.

TC that is an incredible writeup. Some fantastic numbers as well man!

Those numbers are serious bro. I dont think Id touch that R11 ever again, as far as setting go. Good read man.

Thanks lads. I was hoping he had a LH sample of the Performance Based Razr Hawk Tour but of course he didn't.

It was a ton of fun, but I'm spent. I feel like I just played 36 holes in 2 hours.

Awesome stuff there TC!! It's amazing how little things can have such a big impact. All this talk of getting fit is making me antsy. I've got to get my swing in order so I can take full advantage of these sorts of things!

Thanks for sharing TC!!

And if anyone with more knowledge than myself would like to suggest why the Nippon just had odd carry distance please let me know. It felt great, I loved everything about it, but that's a significant difference.

You played the R9 previously and it appears the R11 is giving you more ball speed and great distances. Not too shabby.

That was fascinating to read that TC, thanks for taking the time to write that up. You were getting great numbers from your R11, that has to have you super excited! Was all this done at a Golf Galaxy or something?

If I'm reading this right, he wants you to change your iron shafts which performed the best in stock form?
Or are the loss of yards due to the different club heads, and those new KBS shafts would make your Burners even hotter?

Good stuff TC. Question though. Why not stay with the stock shaft on the irons? While the club head speed wasn't the highest, your ball speed was, as was your carry distance. I can only surmise your smash factor was higher with the stock shaft?

It's hard to argue with solid numbers like that. So are you looking to reshaft the Burners now or getting an idea for your Morgan Cup set?

You played the R9 previously and it appears the R11 is giving you more ball speed and great distances. Not too shabby.

Very similar #'s to the R9, but slightly lower spin and a bit less sidespin. Thanks bro.

That was fascinating to read that TC, thanks for taking the time to write that up. You were getting great numbers from your R11, that has to have you super excited! Was all this done at a Golf Galaxy or something?

No, no Golf Galaxy's around here buddy, I went to GolfUSA here in Ash Vegas. The owner is always there and he's quite knowledgeable. He does all of my club work for me. He's a good dude.

Yeah, pretty pumped about the R11, one thing that we did notice though is that for me, it needs to be tee'd fairly low or else I catch balls higher on the face.

If I'm reading this right, he wants you to change your iron shafts which performed the best in stock form?
Or are the loss of yards due to the different club heads, and those new KBS shafts would make your Burners even hotter?

Good stuff TC. Question though. Why not stay with the stock shaft on the irons? While the club head speed wasn't the highest, your ball speed was, as was your carry distance. I can only surmise your smash factor was higher with the stock shaft?

It's hard to argue with solid numbers like that. So are you looking to reshaft the Burners now or getting an idea for your Morgan Cup set?

Dirt Guy's got it here guys, I'm figuring out which shaft will suit me best for the Morgan Cup. I won't be touching a thing when it comes to the 2.0's......trust me. My guy was amazed at how Taylormade does it. I mean, lowest spin, yet one of the highest ball flights and furthest of the lot. Crazy stuff.

Ahhh I see.
For your forthcoming set of MC's I take it :D

TC, while you're showing great numbers with the R11, do you think you could get more out of it with a different shaft or were you only looking to optimize your setup? The reason I ask is in the Kingdom Experience thread, they kept referring to the 12//22 rule?

Dirt Guy's got it here guys, I'm figuring out which shaft will suit me best for the Morgan Cup. I won't be touching a thing when it comes to the 2.0's......trust me. My guy was amazed at how Taylormade does it. I mean, lowest spin, yet one of the highest ball flights and furthest of the lot. Crazy stuff.

Yeah, I didn't think you liked to tinker when things were working well.

Ahhh I see.
For your forthcoming set of MC's I take it :D

Not likely bud, I'm a Callaway staffer for the Morgan Cup. I was also fit for the Razr X Tour Irons while I was there.........just in case! :D

Not likely bud, I'm a Callaway staffer for the Morgan Cup. I was also fit for the Razr X Tour Irons while I was there.........just in case! :D

My bad, I missed that post I guess!

X-Protos re badged as Razrs! Although thotse Razr tours are awesome looking as well.

TC, while you're showing great numbers with the R11, do you think you could get more out of it with a different shaft or were you only looking to optimize your setup? The reason I ask is in the Kingdom Experience thread, they kept referring to the 12//22 rule?

I'm not too sure to be honest. While I did mention the 12/22 rule, it was pretty clear that for me, the added loft and added spin (without getting crazy) was what suited me best. If I was trying to achieve 12* of launch and the lower 2000's in spin, my carry distance would've decreased significantly. I put very little stock in total distance when it comes to data. In fact, my overall distance average was 297 yards, and I just don't see that kind of # on a golf course ever.

Good question though.

I think it may have to do with the head and the kick point of the shaft. Please remember that each shaft for each 2.0 has a different kick point and that each head is slightly different.

My bad, I missed that post I guess!

X-Protos re badged as Razrs! Although thotse Razr tours are awesome looking as well.

Ironically, the X-Protos aren't available in LH (according to Callaway's site). I looked long and hard and the Razr X Forged irons today and while they look good, I don't like the fact that they are traditionally lofted. I like my stronger lofts my man. The Razr X Tours will suit me just fine. I did get to hit the Razr X irons today and I have to tell you, those felt phenomenal. Great iron right there.

very nice writeup, makes me want to skip out of work and take my sticks to a local fitter. During the iron fitting, did he discuss the lie angles or anything with you? Or did you already have the burner 2.0s customized with your correct length & lie? Were you able to get a printout with all the stats or did you have to manually track them in a notepad?

I think it may have to do with the head and the kick point of the shaft. Please remember that each shaft for each 2.0 has a different kick point and that each head is slightly different.

You could be very well correct Sean. All I know is that the #'s with the stock 6 iron were awesome. Do remember though, I was hitting the other shafts with a Mizuno JPX 800 6iron head, so I'm sure it's a little weaker lofted than the Taylormade.

TC, great write-up! I have thestiff KBS Tours in my 2.0's and they are absolutely amazing. What do you think it is about those shafts that had you averaging about 6-7 mph faster than the others? Just piggybacking off another comment from RatFink, how much farther would you be hitting the 2.0's with the KBS?

Back