Women's Golf & Stuff

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
Josh,

Just wanted to voice my support of the creation of a "Golf For Women" section. Although, I love seeing women playing sport of any kind, I certainly love women being part of golf. It's just not a men's sport.

I can think of nothing better than playing golf, or going on a golfing holiday, with one's better half.

Top marks. :good:

Last edited:
I thought everyone might get a laugh at this...

golf%20cartoon.jpg

Josh,

Just wanted to voice my support of the creation of a "Golf For Women" section. I love seeing women playing sport of any kind. However, I certainly love women being part of golf. It's just not a men's sport.

I can think of nothing better than playing golf, or going on a golfing holiday, with one's better half.

Top marks. :good:

I'll agree. There was a girl on my high school's golf team that could beat the boys up and down the course playing from the "men's" tees.

My wife has become my favorite golfing buddy. More than two-thirds of the rounds I've had this year have been with her. And the best part was how much she improved in just one summer. She's already broken 100 and I am expecting her to beat me, at least once in a while, next year. She's always been pretty athletic and she has really worked hard at improving. The fitted clubs she'll get from Santa should help out immensely!

Okay if I dissent here? This is weird, coming from one who still mourns the demise of Golf for Women magazine, but...

Seems to me a separate section for women's golf just ghettoizes things. I mean, what specifically is different about golf for women?

Maybe on average, women don't drive the ball as far as men do. But I'd wager to say that the range of women's golfing abilities--and the range of men's golfing abilities--is wider than the difference between the average man's and the average woman's golfing abilities. As Bradde!'s signature points out, most golfers are hackers.

Yeah, in general, we may focus more on clothes. There's a whole style section here for that.

There's the tee box issue, but if we'd all just agree that tee boxes ought to be based on handicap, not chromosomes, many of us would play further forward than we do and enjoy our game more (and play faster!).

There's the "what do you do with your boobs when you swing?" issue. But a lot of guys have big guts and pretty much deal with the same thing.

And what does that leave us with? Marshalls just assuming we're playing slow, maybe. Can't see an entire section of a golf forum devoted to that.

Okay, down from soapbox.

Claire,
I added it strictly for the fact that my better half wanted a place where she could ask about things without having to say "ladies" before every question. You can say "have you tried the TM Burner driver and know that the talk is for womens clubs. That was the only reason behind it.

Claire,
I added it strictly for the fact that my better half wanted a place where she could ask about things without having to say "ladies" before every question. You can say "have you tried the TM Burner driver and know that the talk is for womens clubs. That was the only reason behind it.

And we are going to meet her when?

For those that do NOT know, Golfer Gal is my fiancee.

For those that do NOT know, Golfer Gal is my fiancee.

Which explains why all the cool clothes are her size...

She wishes they were. We get everything from XS (her size) to L. Whatever they have at the time.

Okay if I dissent here? This is weird, coming from one who still mourns the demise of Golf for Women magazine, but...

Seems to me a separate section for women's golf just ghettoizes things. I mean, what specifically is different about golf for women?

It's tougher to pee in the woods.

Maybe on average, women don't drive the ball as far as men do. But I'd wager to say that the range of women's golfing abilities--and the range of men's golfing abilities--is wider than the difference between the average man's and the average woman's golfing abilities. As Bradde!'s signature points out, most golfers are hackers.

I don't see women spitting as much as I see men spitting. Unless you are talking about a big hackwad, but then I still think the men win.

Yeah, in general, we may focus more on clothes. There's a whole style section here for that.

Yes, and it's pretty much come out that Harry and I like the women's bottom section the best!

There's the tee box issue, but if we'd all just agree that tee boxes ought to be based on handicap, not chromosomes, many of us would play further forward than we do and enjoy our game more (and play faster!).

Can't think of anything funny here. I know I have started playing courses that are more on my level than in years past.

There's the "what do you do with your boobs when you swing?" issue. But a lot of guys have big guts and pretty much deal with the same thing.

Big (literally) problem for my wife. But she does OK with them. Had to start wearing a sports bra to golf in, but other than that no big deal. I have kind of a gut but not too big of one. Not yet anyway, give me another 10 years.

And what does that leave us with? Marshalls just assuming we're playing slow, maybe. Can't see an entire section of a golf forum devoted to that.

Okay, down from soapbox.

OK let's NOT have a gender specific forum when we don't have a separate one for both. I agree with Claire on this, obviously the females can hold their own with us so let's just keep it like it is.

Now, please, let me help you down.

The forum is fine. It can just be a fine line to tread in giving women a space to just enjoy themselves and play golf, and yet make it not seem like they're completely irrelevant anywhere but the women's sections. That happens everywhere, not just golf.

Not all of us can be pigeonholed just like not all men can. (Don't we outnumber men anyways?) For instance, you may be surprised:
-I hate shopping with the fury of a thousand painful deaths. Hate doing it, hate the mere thought of having to. Maybe it's cause I don't fit anything. But that's true with a lot of women, I've heard.
-I can't stand watching LPGA on TGC. (I am so ashamed.) It's the hack job coverage.
-Not once in my life (this is the worst embarrassment of them all) have I ever golfed with a woman. (I've never met one. I think it'd be a cool experience.)
-I solved the chest problem by developing a wicked wide shoulder turn. Whenever my swing is analyzed, there's always someone who picks on me for this. :roll: (I have an ugly, ugly swing. But it works enough.)

Anyways. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Claire-

Not all women are as comfortable mixing it up with the boys as you and Julie are. Remember how many times on the old GFW board women would post "I'm so glad I found this site so I can ask questions of other women"?

Along with Golfer Gal, I insisted on a Women's Forum so that women would feel comfortable and welcome here. That way, women looking for a home would see this site and would know that we don't ignore women golfers like a lot of sites (and courses, and companies, and pro shops . . .) do. In fact, we cater to them.

Aside from that, women's equipment is different. Different clubs, different balls, etc. Of course, that doesn't mean women can't use the men's equipment as long as it is fitted to them (and vice versa). But we sub-divide forums based on clubs vs. apparel vs. tour talk. Why not a division based on gender?

I understand your protest, and in a perfect world you are correct. But it's not a perfect world and we want the ladies to know they have a home here. Especially because they may have been excluded elsewhere.

At least that's my opinion.

GFW seemed like a really, really cool place. I would've loved to be a part of something like that. By the time I found it, I could only read the abandoned threads.

It's tougher to pee in the woods.

I've seen threads on that one. All male.

I don't see women spitting as much as I see men spitting. Unless you are talking about a big hackwad, but then I still think the men win.

Thank goodness I've never seen a thread on that one. And it's not an invitation!

Yes, and it's pretty much come out that Harry and I like the women's bottom section the best!

Yeah, that's not news.

Big (literally) problem for my wife. But she does OK with them. Had to start wearing a sports bra to golf in, but other than that no big deal. I have kind of a gut but not too big of one. Not yet anyway, give me another 10 years.

Basic choices are over or around.

-I hate shopping with the fury of a thousand painful deaths. Hate doing it, hate the mere thought of having to. Maybe it's cause I don't fit anything. But that's true with a lot of women, I've heard.

Absolutely with you on that one! If I can't buy it on the Internet or at the grocery store, it doesn't get bought.

-Not once in my life (this is the worst embarrassment of them all) have I ever golfed with a woman. (I've never met one. I think it'd be a cool experience.).

We are going to have to fix that! I just wish I knew how.

Claire-

Not all women are as comfortable mixing it up with the boys as you and Julie are. Remember how many times on the old GFW board women would post "I'm so glad I found this site so I can ask questions of other women"?

And remember how it was basically dead until this GolfPunk guy came along?

Along with Golfer Gal, I insisted on a Women's Forum so that women would feel comfortable and welcome here. That way, women looking for a home would see this site and would know that we don't ignore women golfers like a lot of sites (and courses, and companies, and pro shops . . .) do. In fact, we cater to them."?

No objection to a marketing technique. Still, it suggests that 75-80 percent of the forum is for men.

Aside from that, women's equipment is different. Different clubs, different balls, etc. Of course, that doesn't mean women can't use the men's equipment as long as it is fitted to them (and vice versa). But we sub-divide forums based on clubs vs. apparel vs. tour talk. Why not a division based on gender?"?

So, different threads in the same part of the forum. And I'll spare you my rant on the use of the word "gender."

GFW seemed like a really, really cool place. I would've loved to be a part of something like that. By the time I found it, I could only read the abandoned threads.

It was fun, but not really lively. And although I loved the magazine, they really did stretch for material. Too much about clothes. Too much attention to celebrities who once picked up a golf club. But the instruction was a lot better than I've seen in any other magazine, and I loved the swing sequences of the LPGA pros.

Julie and Claire. I am working on something for next year that will get you guys together for a round. Stay tuned.

Julie and Claire. I am working on something for next year that will get you guys together for a round. Stay tuned.

Whoa!...

Claire,
This site exists thanks to what I like to refer to them as "the original 20". Sure, Hacker and me put some hard work in it, and Harry with that first article that sent hundreds here to read that. But in all fairness it is the "original 20" that have and will make this thing exist. 12 months from now we will look back and think (can you believe it)...It is a place for all of us to talk about EVERYTHING. No heroes, no villians, just fun.

For that, THP will want to thank everyone obviously, and if I can get a major resort (ie the Omni at Championsgate) to put us up, I think we are in business. It is close right now. We are just finallizing terms with them. Then of course dealing with bulk airfare. (thank goodness for my best friend being a captain at Delta). But this all could work out well for next year. It is not a promise, but a promise that I am trying to get it done.

JB -
Wow, the National Course is a links style course . . . and looks more my speed (the International has WATER WATER WATER! everywhere!). Couldn't find a scorecard to see any course ratings but the International looks freakin' tough! Gauranteed you wouldn't see me playing from the tips (and probably not from the next tees either!). And that's probably for EITHER course!

Hope you can make it happen, and hope we'd be able to make it. It would be fun.

JB -
Wow, the National Course is a links style course . . . and looks more my speed (the International has WATER WATER WATER! everywhere!). Couldn't find a scorecard to see any course ratings but the International looks freakin' tough! Gauranteed you wouldn't see me playing from the tips (and probably not from the next tees either!). And that's probably for EITHER course!

Hope you can make it happen, and hope we'd be able to make it. It would be fun.

Yikes! Maybe we start at the golf academy? :beat-up:

Both are great courses

It will all be in great fun. Plus it is a fabulous resort. No driving anywhere needed. 5 restaurants right there.

Both are great courses

Have you played them both? How about you scan the scorecards so we can see the yardages and the ratings?

I dont save my scorecards.

Back