I need some help making some decisions on new equipment!

livelifeloveGod

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been playing some of my clubs for quiet some time. My irons are now 6 years old and was thinking what the heck lets got for all new gear! My problem is that hate fittings! Ive been down that road and spent time and money and received different results from each fitter. The only thing i can figure is that their pushing what their selling or what they prefer and the fitting my just be a hustle. Im sure there reputable fitters out there but I have yet to find one. Ill get to the point, Im sure a lot of you guys on here are up to date on new tec stuff and I need some advice. Im currantly playing 2005 model Titleist 690.cb irons with tt dynamic gold s300 shafts. I would like to see a improvment in my long iron launch and forgivness while keeping my scoring irons about the same maybe with a little lower ball flight. Im happy with my currant driver, fairway, and rescue which are Taylormade R9s and the rescue 09 but if any better ideas im open to them. Ive been playing golf for about 24 years and am a consistant 7-10 handicap. Im a 32 year old man with a driver swing speed from about 96 to 100 mph, and a 7 iron carry distance of 160 yards. Most fitters have ask those questions I dont know if that helps but I thought i would throw that out there lol. Any sugestions on new irons and shafts to try would be great.
God Bless and hit em straight
Matt :D

First my advice would be to find a quality fitter that will not push a certain product. But since that is already thrown out....I will say I have a similar SS and I LOVE KBS Tour shafts. Smoothest shaft I have ever hit. They get the ball up a little bit but you won't see ballooning at all. But honestly just go to a place that has the Mizuno shaft optimizer. That gadget won't try and sell you anything but it will give you a good idea of what shafts you should be playing. As far as irons there are so many that I wouldn't even know where to start. I loved the Ping I15's. The AP2 710's. The new TM Forged clubs are getting incredible reviews that you might want to read. If you are looking for forgiveness, there are 4 incredible reviewers that are giving the new Di11's a good testing. :alien:

Thanks for responding! Ive had my eye on those ap2 for a week or so lol. Those reviews are great on the taylormades as well would love to hit them at a demo day soon. I was considering maybe trying the 4,5,6 in the cb and the 7,8,9 and w in the mc all with the project x flighted 5.5s. Have you heard of anyone doing anything like this with these irons and if so i wonder how the distance gaping would go.

I have not heard of anyone doing it but I think TM definitely allows it.

Im also wondering what the the kbs tours could bring to the table as far as feel and control as well and trajectory I havent had a chance to hit them but I hear good things.

Trajectory is somewhat high for my swing but no ballooning. Control is very good and feel is fantastic. Smoothest shaft by far that I have ever played.

Cool! thanks a lot I think ill give the a try in a demo.

I think you should go the CB's in your long/mid irons and the MC's in your scoring irons. I'd also stay away from the PX shafts. THey launch the ball too high in my opinion, and you stated that you were looking for a lower launch. If you are looking for lower launch than the S300's then you should look at the X100's for sure. I had great success with the KBS shafts but in xstiff.

Hey if you are ever in Raleigh you can hit my Di11's. I also have some clubs with the KBS in them and you could swing those as well. Welcome to THP!

Ive played the dgs300 for many years and been very happy but i do tend to balloon my 8 9 and wedge a little. I know its picky but id like a miracle shaft that allows me to hit the long irons high and soft and the scoring irons nice and low. I think the cb long irons and mc scoring irons may be the way to go. Ive never hit the px shafts or the kbs but im interested in trying them out friday at my home courses demo day i just found out about with taylormade :D Thanks for the welcome I think im gonna like it here. and Chunkylover im about 4 hours south of u there in Raleigh so that may not be to far fetched to play 18 sometime.

Hey even if you didn't want to play 18 and you are just up here for a few hours I always love going to the range.

Sounds good I love being a teacher it = summers off for lots of traveling golf :D while the wifes at work of course :golf:

I'm a big fan of the KBS Tours as well. If you didn't want to go X-Stiff you could get the stiff shafts hard-stepped. As to irons the AP2's are great: forged and offer plenty of forgiveness. There are also a lot of reviews on this forum on the new TM MC's and CB's. Adams golf also has some nice offerings.

The regular PX won't launch as high as the PX Flighted and are a great shaft too. You can also tweak your shaft selection more as their ratings are based on frequency and not stiffness, e.g. instead of a 5.5 or 6.0 a good club builder could make them 5.8 if that's what your swing determined your needs to be.

Good luck!

Actually Sean, it was recently pointed out to me that KBS offers a S+ flex, so that one doesn't have to soft step or hard step anything. Pretty cool idea if you ask me. The KBS shafts are some of the best feeling shafts I've experienced.

Thanks man all the coments have given me a lot to think on. So far i think ill try the mizuno shaft optimizing and maybe hit up the taylormade demo day friday and try some differant shafts

Thanks man all the coments have given me a lot to think on. So far i think ill try the mizuno shaft optimizing and maybe hit up the taylormade demo day friday and try some differant shafts

No worries, you're talking to chunkylover and sean, those two know their stuff.

Getting on the shaft optimizer will do the trick.

My initial suggestion would be the same as CL's, the KBS tour. They certainly launch lower then anything by True Tempter. Project X is about the middle of the road in terms of apex height while PX Flighted will be a bit higher then that. If you're worried about the heigh, don't even think of touching the Dynalights either as they soar the ball up there like a home sick angel.

The other option along with KBS tours, and not the 90 gram ones either, are Nippon's and BTR's. Nippon shafts are generally a middle of the road launch shaft but get good reviews for the feel of them. They load and upload very smoothly. BTR's are essentially KBS tours with a different name solf through different partners. They are designed with the same characteristics and feel. Generally the BTR's are cheaper but harder to get your hands on.

S300's are already in the 130g weight range so any of the PX/KBS/BTR/Nippon will work weight wise.

Dumb question: Are you planning to order whatever new shafts you want in your new irons or are you open to having them installed afterwards? I only ask because some shafts can't be purchased with certain clubs. For example in Canada you can no longer purchase Taylormade or Cleveland irons with KBS shafts in them. Just something to check on ahead of time.

Actually Sean, it was recently pointed out to me that KBS offers a S+ flex, so that one doesn't have to soft step or hard step anything. Pretty cool idea if you ask me. The KBS shafts are some of the best feeling shafts I've experienced.

So TC would u say the kbs tours in stiff flex are weaker or stiffer than the s300s ive been told by several fitters to try someting like a 5.5 to 6.0 and that dosent mean a lot to me im not up with the tech lingo lol

My initial suggestion would be the same as CL's, the KBS tour. They certainly launch lower then anything by True Tempter. Project X is about the middle of the road in terms of apex height while PX Flighted will be a bit higher then that. If you're worried about the heigh, don't even think of touching the Dynalights either as they soar the ball up there like a home sick angel.

The other option along with KBS tours, and not the 90 gram ones either, are Nippon's and BTR's. Nippon shafts are generally a middle of the road launch shaft but get good reviews for the feel of them. They load and upload very smoothly. BTR's are essentially KBS tours with a different name solf through different partners. They are designed with the same characteristics and feel. Generally the BTR's are cheaper but harder to get your hands on.

S300's are already in the 130g weight range so any of the PX/KBS/BTR/Nippon will work weight wise.

Dumb question: Are you planning to order whatever new shafts you want in your new irons or are you open to having them installed afterwards? I only ask because some shafts can't be purchased with certain clubs. For example in Canada you can no longer purchase Taylormade or Cleveland irons with KBS shafts in them. Just something to check on ahead of time.

I was hoping to order with the shafts installed and you make a good point about custom options not being avalible by some companys thanks for the info ill defintly check into that before deciding.

So TC would u say the kbs tours in stiff flex are weaker or stiffer than the s300s ive been told by several fitters to try someting like a 5.5 to 6.0 and that dosent mean a lot to me im not up with the tech lingo lol

To me, it's a different stiffness. I find the KBS' to be more stiff in the butt end of the club, which i quite like, that way they feel softer at the tip. I much prefer the feel of the KBS' to the S300's so I'm a bit bias in that regard. Like I said though, they make a S+, I want to say they weigh 120 grams, so they will be lighter than the S300's. As far as launching lower, I'm just not sure, you'd have to test them out and see for yourself.

I will say this for the KBS-- that is the smoothest shaft I have ever swung. I love it. I plan on sticking some in my irons come Christmas. That, and they gave me several extra yards doesn't hurt.

To me, it's a different stiffness. I find the KBS' to be more stiff in the butt end of the club, which i quite like, that way they feel softer at the tip. I much prefer the feel of the KBS' to the S300's so I'm a bit bias in that regard. Like I said though, they make a S+, I want to say they weigh 120 grams, so they will be lighter than the S300's. As far as launching lower, I'm just not sure, you'd have to test them out and see for yourself.
So your saying that the feel at impact especialy say 4 iron hit thin is less harsh than the s300

So your saying that the feel at impact especialy say 4 iron hit thin is less harsh than the s300

I've only ever tested the KBS' with a 6iron so it's hard for me to say, but I do find the feel of the KBS' in general to be much smoother/softer feeling than the S300's.

That's good to know. I loved them in the Tour Authentic X-Protos.

I've only ever tested the KBS' with a 6iron so it's hard for me to say, but I do find the feel of the KBS' in general to be much smoother/softer feeling than the S300's.

I am starting to think me and you both had a fitting at golftec... That was my experience.

Back