chillidipper

Reaction score
Handicap
I would like to get some info on GPS units. Sky Caddie, Calloway U pro, ect....
Who is the best, or what would be the best deal? I know Sky Caddie has a annual membership fee, and the U pro offers per course downloads. What do you get in the pro mode? Would others be better? Sonocaddie,Garmin?

Check out the homepage. There are reviews of most, if not all, of the big names out there.

I have the Upro, works great for me and the new update to 4.0 software really cleaned up the look too. All my courses have been available so far and the Ive had no problems. Pro mode gives you fly over's of the holes and something else. As you can tell, I dont use it. haha. Its small, works pretty fast, good screen and battery last a whole round and sometimes I can get two.

I love your uPro
I have the Upro, works great for me and the new update to 4.0 software really cleaned up the look too. All my courses have been available so far and the Ive had no problems. Pro mode gives you fly over's of the holes and something else. As you can tell, I dont use it. haha. Its small, works pretty fast, good screen and battery last a whole round and sometimes I can get two.

They are right, we have reviewed almost every unit out there. Given away a lot of them too...hehe

It really depends on what you want in a GPS unit and the features you are looking for.

Sky caddie is the original and the rest think they are good. The new SGX unit is fantastic,now that the bugs are worked out. I like the idea to keep stats .

I still don't use one,but if I did this would be my choice.

I recently picked up the Sonocaddie v100. It's not quite the cheapest, but the fee is one time instead of yearly. It's a basic unit, but has the functions I wanted.

I use my Motorola Milestone smartphone as a rangefiner/GPS.

SkyDroid is the app I use. You map the course yourself in the online mapper, very easy. And the price is right: $2

The Upro is a great product if it has the courses already mapped that you use and if they are correct. Of all the courses I play, they were only missing one, according to their site. I immediately downloaded a bunch of courses, requested the one that was missing and requested the pro-mode of the few I play the most. All of the courses I've used it on so far have been dead on accurate except one, they seem to have the old original course setup from years ago when it was a nine hole.

I begged, pleaded and yelled to get them to map the one that was not done yet and re-do the one that is incorrect. They finally did the un-mapped one and the distances are way off. The one that needs re-mapped is still not done and I have had this thing for several months, not to mention that these are the courses I play almost all the time. By the way, I e-mailed them again two weeks ago with NO RESPONSE, so I called them. They say they will get right on it, but still no results.

I really want to love this thing. I leave mine on just for the "Mark" option that will show me the distances I hit a shot and the batteries last me like 3 rounds. The accuracy on most of the courses has been great and the updates are fantastic. But once again, the two courses I need most are simply not accurate, lol.

KellyBo and myself just bought the GolfBuddy Platinum. Works great for us! No annual fee and very durable. Now if we win another one at the WPB outing, we both will be staffed with a GPS system :bananadance::D

I have been using a Skycaddie 2.5 for a few years and it isn't fancy but gives the information that I need

KellyBo and myself just bought the GolfBuddy Platinum. Works great for us! No annual fee and very durable. Now if we win another one at the WPB outing, we both will be staffed with a GPS system :bananadance::D

How do you like the Platinum? Is it pretty accurate? I have been looking at 1 of these. I heard the major knock on it was that it doesn't have the flyover view of most courses.

Sky caddie is the original and the rest think they are good. The new SGX unit is fantastic,now that the bugs are worked out. I like the idea to keep stats .

I still don't use one,but if I did this would be my choice.

I dunno, I like my GolfLogix.

I dunno, I like my GolfLogix.

Im with you. I could not wait to get out of my Skycaddie contract. Thing is a brick if you dont resubscribe....They were the king, and have since been lapped.

I'm cheap, so I use an app on the droid, free caddie...though I did just fall in love with a new archery range finder, it will be seeing double duty soon :)

I have a Upro and I'm happy with it. I haven't used any other gps devices so I can't compare it.

My golf buds all use laser rangefinders and are constantly giving me a hard time because the upro isn't as precise as the lasers.

GolfLogix on my iPhone rocks! $35 a year no downloading

Are they working on canadian golf courses?

I'd say most have Canadian courses. Just check the websites to see if they have the ones you need.

How do you like the Platinum? Is it pretty accurate? I have been looking at 1 of these. I heard the major knock on it was that it doesn't have the flyover view of most courses.

Barb -- we have totally enjoyed it and it has helped our game even on our local course where you would think you pretty much know the yardage. As far as the fly over part I have not missed that at all. You simply go to a course turn it on and it locates the course and boom you are ready to go. Check out the web site for this model and gives you a good amount of info that may help you make an educated decison.

golfshot GPS for iphone or android devices.
one of fee of $29.99, none of this subscription malarky.
its also great for keeping score and stats. quick and easy to input on the course.
if your course isnt already mapped they do it in under 5 days. customer service is excellent as well.

or if just GPS your after, skyDroid on android is $2.99 and does just GPS. although you will probably have to map your course yourself using their online mapping tool.

i wasnt a fan of golflogix both from a price perspective and i felt the UI a bit difficult to work with on the course for stat tracking. (tried it on both android and windows mobile 6.5)

other ones of mention. pin high GPS on android. its a subscription service ($3.99 a month) but good UI and GPS accuracy. has score tracking, but doesnt track putts which is important!

good luck with whatever you go with. having confidence in the yardage you are hitting really helps.

Barb -- we have totally enjoyed it and it has helped our game even on our local course where you would think you pretty much know the yardage. As far as the fly over part I have not missed that at all. You simply go to a course turn it on and it locates the course and boom you are ready to go. Check out the web site for this model and gives you a good amount of info that may help you make an educated decison.

Thanks for the info. Have you used the stat tracking at all? That looks like a really cool feature.

I have a Garmin G5 which has worked really well for me. Accurate when compared to my buddies using laser. Useful features. No annual fee. Free course updates. Highly recommend.

I use an older model Skycaddie 2.5. B&W screen ,basic information-but I tend to get brain overload and out think myself if I get too much information.Lol!

I have been able to try a lot of the different GPS apps for the iPhone and Golfshot GPS was the clear winner for me. I also tested it against my friends SkyCaddie and it gave virtually the exact same numbers. $29.99 one time cost, I have never golfed a course that wasnt on their databank, super easy to use and gives you all of the pertinent data (yards to pin, front/back of the green, distance to hazards, distance for different layup shots. All this and you keep score with it. It keeps all of you score cards and will give you your stats so you can see how you have been improving and what different things you need to improve on. Then for another $5 you can buy their Golfplan and it will use your data and formulate a plan for improvement. Paul Azinger is the pro who gives you specific tips to help you improve. I have found it super useful and a steal considering the good info at your finger tips. Their is also this really cool Augmented Reality app by the same people Golfscape, it is a GPS app like no other. It uses the camera on your phone and will give you visual markers of exactly what you are looking at and how far things are. It is hard to explain but check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld1tMwZi-n0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now the only reason that I don't recommend this one first is because there is no score keeping function (which I love about Golfshot GPS) otherwise it would be at the top. But it is still pretty much the coolest app ever! My friends and I just stared at this app for 5 minutes until we remembered that we were supposed to be golfing.

Hope this was helpful.

Ps if I was buying a rangefinder from a golf store, it would be a laser rangefinder for sure, especially since almost everyone has a smartphone that can run some type of gps app that can do what the none phone ones do, but at a fraction of the price.

Back