Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a firm believer in finding a set of irons that you are fit for and sticking with it. Getting the perfect shaft based on fitting and making sure length and lie are fine tuned.

Changing irons constantly never helps your game. I am living proof of that DEFINITELY.

agreed, had my pings fit a couple of years ago...I have no desire to replace them

So what would you do in my situation? Get the Pings that are fit for me from the factory or reshaft the Mizzie's and have my club guy check everything in terms of lie angles and weight? Is there a big difference between having say Mizuno get the proper weight by way of head weight(which is how I think most OEM's do it) and my club guy getting the weights to the proper level with those little weights they add to the head?

3 different fitters will give you 3 totally different results more often than not. Trial and error is my thing.

Reactions: JB
So what would you do in my situation? Get the Pings that are fit for me from the factory or reshaft the Mizzie's and have my club guy check everything in terms of lie angles and weight? Is there a big difference between having say Mizuno get the proper weight by way of head weight(which is how I think most OEM's do it) and my club guy getting the weights to the proper level with those little weights they add to the head?

I would not change irons. You have enjoyed them so much and they are working for you. Go get the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer done and hit balls on a monitor and get them dialed in with length and lie as well.

I would not change irons. You have enjoyed them so much and they are working for you. Go get the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer done and hit balls on a monitor and get them dialed in with length and lie as well.
I agree 100%. If this set works you should have no desire to switch man!

Well I have a feeling I will be OEMing a New cleveland classic 4 tonight at 10 to add to the collection lol. The price on it is pretty good right now.

41HHgtnP5kL._AA300_.jpg

Well I have a feeling I will be OEMing a New cleveland classic 4 tonight at 10 to add to the collection lol. The price on it is pretty good right now.

Is that a picture of it or just a generic picture? Just wondering because it is left handed and I thought you were a righty.

I love mine!!! I wish you luck in getting one!

Right after I posted here I went back and checked and had a message waiting for me and the guy said he would do $50 for it, so I jumped all over that since its brand new and now Im the proud owner of one!

edit: Dirt guy- its just a generic one I found on goggle images, Im a righty.

Not a bad price. I think our store here sells them for $59.

Not a bad price. I think our store here sells them for $59.

Ya id go buy it in the store but the nearest actual golf store like golfsmith is 45 minutes away, Im just lazy and dont want to drive there lol

Next on my list.. Mizuno bettinardi BC1, wont be for a couple more weeks till I get it, have to pace my buying lol

Jb, do you mind if I post my little collection list up on the marketplace? so If anyone comes across one they can let me know.

MizunoBC1.jpg

Next on my list.. Mizuno bettinardi BC1, wont be for a couple more weeks till I get it, have to pace my buying lol

Jb, do you mind if I post my little collection list up on the marketplace? so If anyone comes across one they can let me know.

MizunoBC1.jpg

That is what the marketplace is for. WTB.

Played with Nike VR STR8 fit tour today and I'm pretty impressed by the feeling. I thought the balls where going to explode. It's on sale at $300 CAD here.. Not sure it's that much of a bargain tho..

Seems like a reasonable deal Kebel... I hit it today also, using the 8.5* head and the Project X 6.5, and I was ballooning the crap out of it..

I guess some clubs aren't meant for certain people. How was your ball flight?

Ballooning a bit, but not that much (launch angle at around 11, club speed at 105-110 mph). Loft was 9,5 and shaft was stiff, can't tell exactly what shaft thought. I'll have to hit more balls with TM r9 before I decide what to buy.

Last edited:
I need some Adidas Tour 360 4.0 Sports, another THP headcover, a new desktop, and to sneak on a tour van and steal a Kia ma ghost.

Had a buddy give me 3 sleeves of Srixon Z-Star X balls before our scramble on Saturday and I think I may be in love. The ball easily outplayed my tour i(S) in almost all aspects. With the tour i(S), my drives are usually 280'ish with a few pushing the 300 mark depending on wind and layout of the hole. I poked most of my drives out to about 290 on Saturday with a couple hitting the 310 mark. It's definitely going to be my ball for the next few rounds. When I lose/retire those, I think a purchase may be in order..

After the way I have been hitting the 60 degree I am really contemplating replacing my Tw9 with the XFT 56.

Had a buddy give me 3 sleeves of Srixon Z-Star X balls before our scramble on Saturday and I think I may be in love. The ball easily outplayed my tour i(S) in almost all aspects. With the tour i(S), my drives are usually 280'ish with a few pushing the 300 mark depending on wind and layout of the hole. I poked most of my drives out to about 290 on Saturday with a couple hitting the 310 mark. It's definitely going to be my ball for the next few rounds. When I lose/retire those, I think a purchase may be in order..

What did you think about them around the green? This is where I did not get the performance I wanted. Although, I know of several folks who really enjoy their performance on the greens. How was it for you?

Check with War Monger...he's got an extra one for you lol
After the way I have been hitting the 60 degree I am really contemplating replacing my Tw9 with the XFT 56.

What did you think about them around the green? This is where I did not get the performance I wanted. Although, I know of several folks who really enjoy their performance on the greens. How was it for you?

As it was a scramble and we were on in two on almost all the holes, I didn't really get a feel for it on pitch or chip shots to be honest. I hit one flop shot that I can remember from right under the green on a par 4 and it took a couple of hops and then stopped. I'm playing on Saturday so I'll get a better feel for it around the greens I hope. I know it was plenty long off of the tee and felt fine off of the putter, so hopefully it can be comparable to the i(S) around the green and become my go to ball.

As it was a scramble and we were on in two on almost all the holes, I didn't really get a feel for it on pitch or chip shots to be honest. I hit one flop shot that I can remember from right under the green on a par 4 and it took a couple of hops and then stopped. I'm playing on Saturday so I'll get a better feel for it around the greens I hope. I know it was plenty long off of the tee and felt fine off of the putter, so hopefully it can be comparable to the i(S) around the green and become my go to ball.

well, if you get to use your bros JAWS' it wouldn't matter if you were hitting a rock, it'd stop alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back