Heavy or Light Iron Shafts

theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
Haven't found many threads on this, so I figure I'd start one. Which do you prefer in your irons, heavy, light, or in between? Also if you play steel or graphite? Any particular reasons for your preference.

Personally, I like the manageability and speed I get out of a lighter shaft, (kbs 90 in the r9's). However, I find myself inconsistent in my swing with the lighter shaft. I end up trying to manipulate the club too much and tend to really try to hit at the ball rather than swing at it. I am probably going to a heavier shaft (TT Dynamic Gold) for the fact that I like to let the club do a lot of the work, and helps me really swing, rather than hit. Also, because of better tempo with a heavier shaft, I find myself keeping my balance in my follow through a lot better.

I don't mind a lighter shaft. It could be I like a higher swingweight and a lighter shaft contributes to that. (I think that's right, the higher swingweight means the center of balance ismore toward the clubhead?) My Goldwin AVDP irons from the mid 90s were that way and I loved those clubs. Just got outdated.

haha, I have no idea about that. I just go by what feels best. Swing weight is something I never really learned about when being fitted.

I love my Dynamic Gold shafts.

They qualify as "heavy" but I like the solid feel of a heavy shaft and since I prefer a heavy swingweight (D-5 / D-6) it really feels as if I'm hitting the ball with something substantial. A lighter shaft just doesn't give me that type of sensation (or the confidence that comes with it).

-JP

My favorite iron shafts are the Nippons that are quite light. But I think it really depends for me on a few different club heads.

I've gone through a few sets of shafts to find that KBS makes the best for me. DG balloon way to much, Project X were too high of launch and Grafalloy ProLites just felt awful. The KBS has a great launch, boring ball flight and I love the feedback/feel.

I know that today, and for the past 30 years, heavy dynamic golds have been the standard in many clubs, especially on tour. Aside from Matt Kuchar, do you think lightweight steel will one day be the new dynamic gold? Or will players continue to use their heavier tour proven shafts? This includes players that are yet to come onto the tour.

when it comes to irons I've always prefered steel. When I was younger, graphite shafts were just too whippy and had a stigma of not being consistent enough. That may have changed now but the stigma is still stuck in my head. I preferred lighter shafts but the stock True Temper Dynamic Golds on my Nike Splits have been solid. I'm now used to the weight and I like the feeling of the club through the contact zone.

i spray lighter irons shafts everywhere cuz i get way too handsy and quick
the heavier shafts help me keep tempo a bit better
i did play a set of clevelands my buddy let me borrow (was on a work trip and didnt have clubs)
they had really light shafts and i was murdering balls with those babies

yeah. i am a bit wild with the lighter shaft too. trying to see if i can slow down a bit at the top to get a good tempo. the heavier shaft does it automatically for me, but we'll see what happens. again, what do you guys think about the future of iron shafts, amateur and tour? heavy or light?

Love my 130g x100's. Teaching pro keeps trying to get me to switch or to hardstep them.

Switch to what jrod?

I guess it would be midweight.about 110-115g on a 5 iron shaft.Steel of course.
But if you wanna send me some in that weight range I'll try graphite

I'm playing Rifle shafts in my irons. TT lists them between 105g and 130g, so I guess they're mid-weight. I used to play some "King Snake" irons with no-name graphite shafts - they were way too light and I was very inconsistent with them.

I'm playing Rifle shafts in my irons. TT lists them between 105g and 130g, so I guess they're mid-weight. I used to play some "King Snake" irons with no-name graphite shafts - they were way too light and I was very inconsistent with them.

I began this thread with saying that I preferred the heavy DG s300 shafts, but I actually went to get fitted again and found that I got best results with the KBS tour shafts which I think weigh a mid-weight 120g. Still 20g-30g heavier than the KBS 90's that I have in my clubs right now. I think because of the way the weight is evenly dispersed in the KBS that makes it feel light, but stable is what I like over the s300's. The KBS tours gave me similar ball flight to what would probably be the s300's soft-stepped once, but my swing speed was optimal with the KBS tours.

Back