Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

In all fairness(i dont have the numbers with me), Phil misses a ton more cuts than tiger does. When Tiger plays bad, he usually still contends lol[as in top 5 or 10 finish]
Did we not just see that exact same thing happen to TW just a few weeks ago. Lost his swing and missed a cut....hmmmm

In all fairness(i dont have the numbers with me), Phil misses a ton more cuts than tiger does. When Tiger plays bad, he usually still contends lol[as in top 5 or 10 finish]

it's just a different style of play imo. look, i like both, but you can't really compare their styles of play

A. That is not true.

B. That has very little to do with the Ryder Cup discussion.

Phil and TW have battled similar things off the course (referring to practice time and mental state only) this year. So I dont buy the whole one has hung in there and the other has not. One won a major and the other has no wins. Then your next gem was saying "Phil missing the cut this week"....Yet TW did the exact same thing just a few weeks prior. Im guessing you are big TW fan and dont care for Phil clearly.

But it means little in this discussion, because one guy got the job done and qualifed based on points. Not both, but one. Will TW get on the team? Absolutely. Does he deserve a spot based on play recently, most likely not. But you cannot keep him off the team, not this year.

Wow!

A. sarcastic exageration obviously

B. The blind Tiger bashing by people who can't seem to objectively look at the facts drew me in

C. I am a Tiger fan, yes. I also like Phil very much. My sticking up for Tiger is not some blatant fan backing. I've just run out of patience for the haters.

D. You've latched on to the lesser point of my post. Yes they both had stress. The more compelling factor was Tiger's season without a golf swing. How exactly does one compete on the PGA tour and be one of only 8 men to make the cut in all four majors WITHOUT A GOLF SWING?

I dont think anybody has disputed that. No question about it. It was said that Phil just missed a cut because he played bad. It was then reminded that TW did the exact same thing. Only one of them has won this year. And only one of them has won a major this year. They are both going through an incredible amount of off the course stuff. Plus one is also battling an injury.

But again, IT SHOULD NOT MATTER int he context of this discussion. Because one guy is ON THE TEAM based on his play. And the other is not.

It seems for so long the media spoke about how great the Euro team is and how it would run away with this years Cup. Similar talk about the Cup two years ago ironically. But this time around, quite a few are saying "hold on". The Euro team is very inexperienced, has a Paddy that has not played well in 2 years. Has their #1 hurt. And lets face it has Mrs. Doubtfire as a coach.

I think the US team feels that they are right where they want to be with this one. Underdogs, just like last time.

great point!!! two months ago, i would've thought we were in line for a arse whooping, but my how the tide has turned. a lot of inexperience on that euro team.

Again, nobody has said anything about his past accomplishments. Do you work for his PR dept or something?

It's the blind defense, JB. All the cult members use it. I'll grant it's unlikely Tiger remains an "average" golfer, but I think it very likely he never returns to his previous dominance. And other great golfers have reached a point in their careers where they have lost "it" due to one reason or another. Many because of putting, and right now Tiger can't putt consistently. I'm sure Tiger will be chosen for the Ryder Cup. There's no reason to expect an exceptional performance as he's been average in the event in the past. I think it's doubtful he chooses an event he's indicated in the past he doesn't care for, as the event when he suddenly becomes the Tiger of old.

Kevin

D. You've latched on to the lesser point of my post. Yes they both had stress. The more compelling factor was Tiger's season without a golf swing. How exactly does one compete on the PGA tour and be one of only 8 men to make the cut in all four majors WITHOUT A GOLF SWING?

Half the guys on tour have struggled with their golf swing and gone through changes. It just so happens that you only hear about one or two of them.

You make it sound as if the guy is playing with no fingers on his right hand and has the shanks. The dramatics are overstated by a long shot.

Again, nobody has said anything about his past accomplishments. Do you work for his PR dept or something?

Actually yes he did. This is what the man said...

"It would be interesting to see if his followers will still be trying to justify how "great" he is two or three years from now".

No, I don't work for his PR department - what a silly comment. Sorry I had an opinion. I'll try to remember not to do that in the future...

Actually yes he did. This is what the man said...

"It would be interesting to see if his followers will still be trying to justify how "great" he is two or three years from now".

No, I don't work for his PR department - what a silly comment. Sorry I had an opinion. I'll try to remember not to do that in the future...

Re-read his post. He said "trying to justify how great he is"....Not how great he WAS.

His greatness is undeniable. Arguably the best ever.

And the whoa is me posts will get you no where. Or is it that you can have an opinion and post on it but nobody can disagree with you.

I think Mickelson would have more than 18-over if there was no cutline on some of his events played to be honest. Tiger has missed like 10 cuts in his career. Phils missed that many in the past year
ya like shooting 18 over? ha

I think Mickelson would have more than 18-over if there was no cutline on some of his events played to be honest. Tiger has missed like 10 cuts in his career. Phils missed that many in the past year

And again, in relation to the Ryder Cup, it means little. One guy qualified and one guy did not. There is no reason why it is even a discussion.

Id like to throw a wager out there to anyone, that Tiger will perform better in the Ryder Cup than Phil will/

Id like to throw a wager out there to anyone, that Tiger will perform better in the Ryder Cup than Phil will/

how bout that 50 bucks i wanted to wager to get you to the outing? double or nothing?

I really hope that we get ZJ on the team for his putting. We need the great putters on this team. Brian Gay is not in contention, and our team lacks really good putting.

I'll bet Gray's Cobras!

It's not about Phil vs Tiger. It's Us vs Them. And we're not even sure Tiger is on the team.

Kevin

So who does everybody have on their list of making it.

How can you double nothing? lol

Agreed on the ZJ thing.

b/c you aren't coming to the outing....lol

and yes, ZJ is a phenomenal putter, and come to think of it, we don't really have a phenomenal one on the team. well, stricker's pretty solid.

TW (unfortunately- I feel there is a lot of sponsor pressure on this pick too)
ZJ
Cink
Fowler

b/c you aren't coming to the outing....lol

and yes, ZJ is a phenomenal putter, and come to think of it, we don't really have a phenomenal one on the team. well, stricker's pretty solid.

Stricker is one of the best. But he was off for a while leading up to his play this weekend. No question he is the anchor of this team right now with his play. He and a long hitter would be VERY hard to beat if his putter is on.

My final four would have to be

TW - You just cannot leave him off. Greatness can come in strange spots.
ZJ - To consistent and his putting is unbelievable.
Stewie - Super consistent, can win on their courses and is playing great golf.
Glover - He wins in big spots (or has). Playing really good golf right now.

So who does everybody have on their list of making it.

Tiger Woods
Zach Johnson
Ricky Fowler
Sean O'Hair

I think with the Euros having Rory, it would be a shame if we didn't include Fowler. The possibility of that being a match up would be pretty cool. Plus I would like to see him play in something other than a clown outfit.

Kevin

Back