Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

This to me is in part why it becomes such an issue every time the PGA Championship steps on its own d*** so to speak. At the bedrock foundation of the US Tour is the fact that three of the four majors reside within the US tour. The Masters and the US Open are both untouchable as is the British on that side of the pond. If an event, let’s say a European Open just for argument were to develop as another major (with the associated points status etc) in my view even as it is today the PGA event would very quickly fall to the status of a fifth leg on the stool and could very soon after simply not be able to maintain its status as a major event. Even if it did the simple fact of the four most significant events being evenly split would be enough in my view. In fact, not too long ago the PGA was in very great disrepair and had European golf been in a position at that time to have come up with the goods, the PGA event may never have had the chance to regain much of its former luster.

If we ever get to the point where there are two majors over there and two majors over here or even to the point where it would be a three and two with the PGA considered something of a fifth leg, it will only be a matter of time.

You make a very good point relative to the economic climate although one could argue that Europe is not much better at the moment. Your point about Tiger and his influence cuts across all economic issues and I think that one matters regardless of the overarching economy. I do not even want to think about what major professional golf would look like today here or anywhere else were it not for the phenomenon known as Tiger Woods and I would bet touring pros really do not want to think about it. However if your point is that he has had the most impact here, I have to agree.

You make a very good point relative to the economic climate although one could argue that Europe is not much better at the moment. Your point about Tiger and his influence cuts across all economic issues and I think that one matters regardless of the overarching economy. I do not even want to think about what major professional golf would look like today here or anywhere else were it not for the phenomenon known as Tiger Woods and I would bet touring pros really do not want to think about it. However if your point is that he has had the most impact here, I have to agree.

My concern is the growth in purses was too quick and too much and will have to retrace. Just like housing values. Tiger shouldn't have been enough to cause the astounding increases that took place. If economic woes continue, a stabilizing or retracing of salaries on other sports wouldn't surprise me. Even football which you'd think would be the most bullet proof. There are possible lockouts on the horizon for the NBA and the NFL. I'm not sure, but I think the NHL has already folded, I never hear anything about it. Baseball bores the crap out of me so I couldn't say.

I'm no Tiger fan, and wouldn't mind seeing him struggle for some time, but I wonder if his fellow golfers would like to see him regain his form. He'll be picked for the Ryder Cup for his drawing power alone.

Thought I better mention the Ryder Cup.

Kevin

Its really unfortunate you dont hear about the NHL. I dont either. I dont understand how its not bigger down here. In Canada, its 65% hockey news, 30% other sports, 5% golf lol. Unless Tiger wins. Then its usually exciting and they show it more.

I hope tiger gets picked. Hes still fun to watch sometimes.
My concern is the growth in purses was too quick and too much and will have to retrace. Just like housing values. Tiger shouldn't have been enough to cause the astounding increases that took place. If economic woes continue, a stabilizing or retracing of salaries on other sports wouldn't surprise me. Even football which you'd think would be the most bullet proof. There are possible lockouts on the horizon for the NBA and the NFL. I'm not sure, but I think the NHL has already folded, I never hear anything about it. Baseball bores the crap out of me so I couldn't say.

I'm no Tiger fan, and wouldn't mind to see him struggle for some time, but I wonder if his fellow golfers would like to see him regain his form. He'll be picked for the Ryder Cup for his drawing power alone.

Thought I better mention the Ryder Cup.

Kevin

+1 Esox

Am I understanding correctly? Mrs. D feels the Euros eligible for The Barclays should have skipped this part of the FedEx playoffs to play in a Euro Tour event? If so, he's a bigger numb nuts than I thought. Because he never really had the testicular fortitude to play on the most competitive tour in the world, he feels others should give up their right to do so.

Numb nuts.

If I am understanding this incorrectly, I apologize and Monty is only a smaller numb nuts.

Kevin

I love all this talk about Tiger as if he's fallen to Nationwide tour level play or something. As I said earlier in the thread, no one seems to be able to comprehend or retain this simple piece of information.

During the worst year of his life (personally), while practicing far less than normal, while losing his confidence in himself and his game, and while going through the complete loss of and now reconstruction of his golf swing, he managed to finish

4th at the Masters
4th at the U.S. Open
23rd at the British Open
28th at the PGA Championship and
12 at the Barclays

How many other players do you know who could produce those results without a golf swing and without mental focus? Why is this not computing for people?

This stacks up to be a very tough Ryder Cup for the US squad. We are defending on Euro turf and that looks like a very potent team over there. I do think one or two of the Euro automatic picks are not too great for their team and Monty may well come to regret taking Paddy over Rose. That said, would it be that much of a surprise if the M&M boys took every point they were competing for? That could easily be the difference here as that match up is a natural and they have other guys that are both terrific match play golfers and have something of a natural partner. The US team has great golfers and will have more great golfers. I worry about the matchups as I am not sure our matchups can be as strong as the Euro team matchups regardless of who the captain’s picks turn out to be. I think those of us that will be rooting for the US squad could very easily find ourselves relying on the tie rule in order to take the cup back home.

One of the great things about the Ryder is that the thing can look very very close all the way up till the groups are on the back nine on the last day based on the scoring and it could end up being anything from a rout to a tie based on what happens during those last few hours.

Can't wait!!
n

I love all this talk about Tiger as if he's fallen to Nationwide tour level play or something. As I said earlier in the thread, no one seems to be able to comprehend or retain this simple piece of information.

During the worst year of his life (personally), while practicing far less than normal, while losing his confidence in himself and his game, and while going through the complete loss of and now reconstruction of his golf swing, he managed to finish

4th at the Masters
4th at the U.S. Open
23rd at the British Open
12 at the Barclays

How many other players do you know who could produce those results without a golf swing and without mental focus? Why is this not computing for people?

i agree with you but when's he's not up on the leaderboard he's no where to be seen. his play at firestone, where he traditionally is dominate, was just awful. it's the inconsistency that worries me the most. it doesn't matter though, he'll get the nod.

4th at the Masters
4th at the U.S. Open
23rd at the British Open
12 at the Barclays

You are right, but you are forgetting one major stat from that list. ZERO wins. And another...Very few rounds breaking 70. That is the part that is hard to handle. When someone sets the bar the way he did, to have this kind of run for this long makes for banter. When you add that many of his fans "moved on", you have even more banter.

4th at the Masters
4th at the U.S. Open
23rd at the British Open
12 at the Barclays

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I just have to say, as ridiculous as this may sound, someday we may look back on 2010 as one of the great accomplishments of Tiger's career - to contend without a golf game. I know no one else on earth who could do that. Phil certainly can't.

This stacks up to be a very tough Ryder Cup for the US squad. We are defending on Euro turf and that looks like a very potent team over there. I do think one or two of the Euro automatic picks are not too great for their team and Monty may well come to regret taking Paddy over Rose. That said, would it be that much of a surprise if the M&M boys took every point they were competing for? That could easily be the difference here as that match up is a natural and they have other guys that are both terrific match play golfers and have something of a natural partner. The US team has great golfers and will have more great golfers. I worry about the matchups as I am not sure our matchups can be as strong as the Euro team matchups regardless of who the captain’s picks turn out to be. I think those of us that will be rooting for the US squad could very easily find ourselves relying on the tie rule in order to take the cup back home.

One of the great things about the Ryder is that the thing can look very very close all the way up till the groups are on the back nine on the last day based on the scoring and it could end up being anything from a rout to a tie based on what happens during those last few hours.

Can't wait!!
n

i can't wait either but i think that the US pairings will have to be just about as good as they've ever been. i wouldn't want pavin's job in this one at all. what do you think will be some of the most productive pairings for the US side?

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I just have to say, as ridiculous as this may sound, someday we may look back on 2010 as one of the great accomplishments of Tiger's career - to contend without a golf game. I know no one else on earth who could do that. Phil certainly can't.

huh? and how has the past 12 months for phil been any less stressful? cancer found in his wife, cancer found in his mother, dealing with arthritis. yet:

masters: won
us open: t4
the open: t48
pga: t12

huh? and how has the past 12 months for phil been any less stressful? cancer found in his wife, cancer found in his mother, dealing with arthritis. yet:

Seriously. Not sure I get that part of it. Other than one of the participants in this discussion brought it on himself and the other has his family hit with a life threatening disease. WOW!

yes, you are right about stress. I was referring to when he "loses his swing". When that happens for Phil he just can't compete, can't even hang in there. Missing the cut this week as an example. I just meant that when Phil doesn't have "it", he just doesn't have it. This was my main point:

"we may look back on 2010 as one of the great accomplishments of Tiger's career - to contend without a golf game. I know no one else on earth who could do that."

yes, you are right about stress. I was referring to when he "loses his swing". When that happens for Phil he just can't compete, can't even hang in there. Missing the cut this week as an example. I just meant that when Phil doesn't have "it", he just doesn't have it

Didn't tiger finished T-2nd to last at a course he owns (Firestone)?

yes, you are right about stress. I was referring to when he "loses his swing". When that happens for Phil he just can't compete, can't even hang in there. Missing the cut this week as an example. I just meant that when Phil doesn't have "it", he just doesn't have it

Did we not just see that exact same thing happen to TW just a few weeks ago. Lost his swing and missed a cut....hmmmm

true, thank god when tiger didn't have it, it was in a cutless event. phil's style of play always means that he's either in it to win it or struggling. don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of both and loved when the two of them were duking it out at the tour championship and in singapore last year. i'm not sure what's up with phil these days, but it does have me concerned for him as an assett in the RC

Did we not just see that exact same thing happen to TW just a few weeks ago. Lost his swing and missed a cut....hmmmm

Yes, for like the first time in his life...

I really hope Tiger stays an average to slightly above average golfer for an extended period of time. It would be interesting to see if his followers will still be trying to justify how "great" he is two or three years from now if he hasn't won a major, has won like one tournament, and is like 15th on the money list.

Kevin

true, thank god when tiger didn't have it, it was in a cutless event. phil's style of play always means that he's either in it to win it or struggling. don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of both and loved when the two of them were duking it out at the tour championship and in singapore last year. i'm not sure what's up with phil these days, but it does have me concerned for him as an assett in the RC

The really sad thing about this is that I think we have seen the end of Phil... He will have moments of greatness and will likely win again... but psoriatic arthritis is not something that goes away and it is not something that, even with the BEST medications, can be 100% controlled. The odds of him ever playing at 100% again in his career are very low.

A. That is not true.

B. That has very little to do with the Ryder Cup discussion.

Phil and TW have battled similar things off the course (referring to practice time and mental state only) this year. So I dont buy the whole one has hung in there and the other has not. One won a major and the other has no wins. Then your next gem was saying "Phil missing the cut this week"....Yet TW did the exact same thing just a few weeks prior. Im guessing you are big TW fan and dont care for Phil clearly.

But it means little in this discussion, because one guy got the job done and qualifed based on points. Not both, but one. Will TW get on the team? Absolutely. Does he deserve a spot based on play recently, most likely not. But you cannot keep him off the team, not this year.

The really sad thing about this is that I think we have seen the end of Phil... He will have moments of greatness and will likely win again... but psoriatic arthritis is not something that goes away and it is not something that, even with the BEST medications, can be 100% controlled. The odds of him ever playing at 100% again in his career are very low.

And that's a shame.

Kevin

i'm afraid you are right here gus....it pains me a ton, b/c the guy is a class act and he is one of the reasons i really got into golf. i love his creativity and his willingness to just go for it. in a way, he kind of represents all of us like that. i really think he'll struggle at the ryder cup and think that pavin should consider pairing him up with a long knocker. put as many scoring irons and wedges in his hands as possible, b/c imo, there's noone better.

I really hope Tiger stays an average to slightly above average golfer for an extended period of time. It would be interesting to see if his followers will still be trying to justify how "great" he is two or three years from now if he hasn't won a major, has won like one tournament, and is like 15th on the money list.

Kevin

Don't hold your breath, cause that ain't happenin'. Not to mention the man's already done enough to go down in history as one of the best 5 golfers in history even if he quit the game tomorrow.

It seems for so long the media spoke about how great the Euro team is and how it would run away with this years Cup. Similar talk about the Cup two years ago ironically. But this time around, quite a few are saying "hold on". The Euro team is very inexperienced, has a Paddy that has not played well in 2 years. Has their #1 hurt. And lets face it has Mrs. Doubtfire as a coach.

I think the US team feels that they are right where they want to be with this one. Underdogs, just like last time.

Don't hold your breath, cause that ain't happenin'. Not to mention the man's already done enough to go down in history as one of the best 5 golfers in history even if he quit the game tomorrow.

Again, nobody has said anything about his past accomplishments. Do you work for his PR dept or something?

Back