Different putters for different courses?

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I only use 1 putter, my Ghost mallet. On very fast greens I struggle with distance control with the Ghost. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a non insert blade for use on these fast greens. Is this crazy talk and should I just stick with 1 putter? Do any of you use different putters depending on course conditions? Part of me thinks I am just looking for an excuse to buy a new putter...

Only time I would use another putter if I was using a carbon putter and it's raining heavily or they just sanded the greens.

never done it and never seen anyone do it, but hey if its going to help your game and its legal, im all for it

The only time I ever bagged two putters was when I got my new Ping. I used the new one and kept the old one in the bag, kind of like a saftey blanket...hahah.

Years ago I used to carry 2 putters. The Bullseye was used for lag putting and there was a revolving door for shorter ones. I am down to 1 putter now that irons are so strongly lofted and extra help at the short end is sometimes needed. I could go back to the 2 putter setup I suppose, my 60 wedge is very shiny. It's a rare day that I use all 14 clubs in the bag on the same round. Maybe take along an extra putter if you are not feeling right with your ghost.

I agree, im playing with only 12 clusb now, plenty of room for putters lol

I didn't mean carry 2 putters in the bag on the same day, I meant have 1 putter I use some days, and another putter I use on other days.

I didn't mean carry 2 putters in the bag on the same day, I meant have 1 putter I use some days, and another putter I use on other days.

Yeah, but it may be worth a shot to carry 2 and see how you like it. Know it sounds crazy and wasteful. When I first started playing I only owned 10 clubs. My wife's bag only has 11. It may be more difficult to compare how the putters perform if you use them on different days. Use em side by side and see what happens. If you think carrying 2 putters won't help, Bullseye type putters are great for distance control. Obviously, hard to align.

I have never used a different putter for different course conditions. In fact, I think it would just make things worse, but that's just me.

The first thing I thought to myself when I saw the thread title was "different strokes for different folks." I'm not sure that really applies here though.

yeah I just mean more along the lines that if you have the flexibility to do it, its worth a shot

I have two MgBz Anser's that are twins in just about every way, but one weighs around 20 grams more than the other. I'll switch to the light one when the greens get super fast during the summer, but I wouldn't switch to something completely different.

I'd do it. For instance, putting with my mallet on the Old Course was a bit interesting until I got up close! Would take quite a bit of practice though. Probably too much practice to make it practical in my situation.

I could see this working well myself. We definitely have some highly contrasting greens here in colorado. Depends on the pro and the management company if they like to water or not! I wouldn't mind this if I could afford it.

Back