• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Golf Chick mentioning her flu shot in another thread gave me the idea of this thread.

The poll says are you going to but obviously you should click yes if you already have gotten it! I figure two choices is plenty since you either are or already have gotten one or you are not going to get one. Not sure if there is any middle ground. I wouldn't think there would be too many undecideds or maybes on this. But now that I said that you know there is going to be! haha

I got mine on Friday, cost me $24. I get one every year and have since I was in my early 20s since most of my friends at that time had kids who could come home with it. Now, since I am in 3 to 5 different houses every day, many with kids and older people, I'm definitely doing it (not that I wasn't going to anyway!)

Feel free to agree or disagree with the benefits or hazards of getting a flu shot.

The CDC says:

Who Should Get Vaccinated
On February 24, 2010 vaccine experts voted that everyone 6 months and older should get a flu vaccine each year starting with the 2010-2011 influenza season. CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted for "universal" flu vaccination in the U.S. to expand protection against the flu to more people.

While everyone should get a flu vaccine each flu season, it’s especially important that the following groups get vaccinated either because they are at high risk of having serious flu-related complications or because they live with or care for people at high risk for developing flu-related complications:

• Pregnant women
  • Children younger than 5, but especially children younger than 2 years old
  • People 50 years of age and older
  • People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
  • People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
  • People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
    • Health care workers
    • Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
    • Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)

They also say:

Who Should Not Be Vaccinated
There are some people who should not get a flu vaccine without first consulting a physician. These include:

• People who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs.
  • People who have had a severe reaction to an influenza vaccination.
  • People who developed Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) within 6 weeks of getting an influenza vaccine.
  • Children less than 6 months of age (influenza vaccine is not approved for this age group), and
  • People who have a moderate-to-severe illness with a fever (they should wait until they recover to get vaccinated.)

For people who say they got the flu from a flu shot, they should read this because you cannot get the flu from it. If you get the flu after receiving the shot, you were going to get it anyway. Most of the time what people call the flu is really a bad cold. The flu will put you down for a while.

Vaccine Side Effects (What to Expect)Different side effects can be associated with the flu shot and LAIV.
The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot.

Some minor side effects that could occur are:

• Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
  • Fever (low grade)
  • Aches

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last 1 to 2 days. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it. However, on rare occasions, flu vaccination can cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. As of July 1, 2005, people who think that they have been injured by the flu shot can file a claim for compensation from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP).

Is it a cold or is it the flu?

Cold Versus Flu - Questions & Answers

What is the difference between a cold and the flu?The flu and the common cold are both respiratory illnesses but they are caused by different viruses. Because these two types of illnesses have similar flu-like symptoms, it can be difficult to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations.

How can you tell the difference between a cold and the flu?
Because colds and flu share many symptoms, it can be difficult (or even impossible) to tell the difference between them based on symptoms alone. Special tests that usually must be done within the first few days of illness can be carried out, when needed to tell if a person has the flu.

What are the symptoms of the flu versus the symptoms of a cold?In general, the flu is worse than the common cold, and symptoms such as fever, body aches, extreme tiredness, and dry cough are more common and intense. Colds are usually milder than the flu. People with colds are more likely to have a runny or stuffy nose. Colds generally do not result in serious health problems, such as pneumonia, bacterial infections, or hospitalizations.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/index.htm

I have never had a flu shot....

Yep, with the amount of people I interact with on a daily basis it's a must. Dang tourist germs!

I get one every year.

I get one every year because I'm a high risk :(

I'm not sure if its everywhere, but here, they've combined the flu shot with the regular flu strain and the swine flu, just great :banghead:

As both the better half and I are healthcare workers we will be getting the shot and have been getting it every year. Her plan takes care of the shot since it is employment related. Both of the little ones are also going to get it and there is and has been currently a waiting list on certain age groups' flu shots for children. Morale of the story is if you want your kids to get it it'll be best to contact their doctor and see if they have a waiting list for it and place them on there ASAP before they run out or it's too late.

FYI, getting the shot doesn't guarantee that you will not get the flu. There are certain strains out there that have no available vaccination and if you come in contact with it you will contract it. The best thing everyone can do is consistently wash your hands (especially if you come into a lot of contact with other folks), practice better than average hygiene and carry one of those small anti bacterial lotions with you wherever you go (just in case there is no place to wash) and stay home if you're even mildly sick so not to infect others around you.

nope...

exactly my reasoning for not getting one
As both the better half and I are healthcare workers we will be getting the shot and have been getting it every year. Her plan takes care of the shot since it is employment related. Both of the little ones are also going to get it and there is and has been currently a waiting list on certain age groups' flu shots for children. Morale of the story is if you want your kids to get it it'll be best to contact their doctor and see if they have a waiting list for it and place them on there ASAP before they run out or it's too late.

FYI, getting the shot doesn't guarantee that you will not get the flu. There are certain strains out there that have no available vaccination and if you come in contact with it you will contract it. The best thing everyone can do is consistently wash your hands (especially if you come into a lot of contact with other folks), practice better than average hygiene and carry one of those small anti bacterial lotions with you wherever you go (just in case there is no place to wash) and stay home if you're even mildly sick so not to infect others around you.

exactly my reasoning for not getting one

But you can come into contact with the strain that is covered by the shot and if you had gotten the shot you likely would not get it. But since you didn't get the shot, you have a better chance of getting it.

Also, you may already have it in your system and even if you get the shot, you will still get it. I get it for the added protection it gives. Kinda like insurance, which I sell!

I can also get into a car accident but that doesn't mean I go crashing my car into walls so it can be prepared in case it meets up with the latest SUV on the market either
But you can come into contact with the strain that is covered by the shot and if you had gotten the shot you likely would not get it. But since you didn't get the shot, you have a better chance of getting it.

Also, you may already have it in your system and even if you get the shot, you will still get it. I get it for the added protection it gives. Kinda like insurance, which I sell!

Definitely not getting a flu shot. The one time I did I wound up with the worst flu I ever had 2 days later. It was awful.

No flu shots for clam. That's how they get the tracking device in ya.

Definitely not getting a flu shot. The one time I did I wound up with the worst flu I ever had 2 days later. It was awful.

Again, you cannot get the flu from the flu shot. That's the most common argument I hear about why people won't get one.

Got a H1N1 last year to make sure I didn't get it/spread it to the baby. I might do it this year as well.

I have to get a Flu shot every year. I have no option. I probably wouldn't get one if I didn't have to.

No flu shots for clam. That's how they get the tracking device in ya.

ditto here
it's bad enough that they use mind control chemicals in jet fuel

I've never gotten one either. I say bring on the sick days!

I have gotten them before, but it's kind of a crap shoot if they will have the right strains for what ever flu is going around that given year. I got one two years ago and ended up with my worst flu season ever. None last year and never got sick. The shot won't give you the flu, but I feel its just luck if they guess right on the protection.

Again, you cannot get the flu from the flu shot. That's the most common argument I hear about why people won't get one.
doesn't it depend on how the vacine is made.Some are from live virus some aren't.Or do I have that all wrong?
Anyway I don't want the tracking device either way

Your friendly neighborhood pharmacist thinks that you should all get your flu shots!

If you have a young child PLEASE get the flu shot. Please.
I watched 2 children <2 die last year from the flu. 20,000 people died last year from the flu.

If you want me to put forward a full argument for the flu shot I will, but my mind is mush right now. Ask questions though and I would be happy to dispell any myths about the shot.

I voted Yes just because I'm military and am required to.

Question: can you get the flu from those "mist"ers that they shove up your nose? I've heard that's an active culture instead of an inactive like the shot.

I voted Yes just because I'm military and am required to.

Question: can you get the flu from those "mist"ers that they shove up your nose? I've heard that's an active culture instead of an inactive like the shot.

Yes- it is possible to get a very "low grade" flu from the live vaccines. The reported incidence of that is 0.15% 2 persons out of 3,000 vaccinated with the mist.

I should also note there has never been a reported death due to vaccine "caused" flu. It is very mild and passes much faster than a "wild type" flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back