Wilson Staff Golf
Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2630313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Driving Range Session Thread

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantD View Post
    I guess you don't get in a grove that much doing it this way. I suppose getting in a groove can not prepare you for making each shot count.

IMO getting into a groove at the range is good for working on a new move and making it a part of your swing though even there you need to do your routine or at leat the end of it where you aim, take your stance and waggles/practice swings etc. Otherwise I also agree you are better off changing targets and distances with each shot.
    Driver: 907 D2 9.5 with Graffaloy Proforce Red Shaft
    Fairway Wood: 975F 14.5
    Irons: TP CB 3-PW
    Wedges: 588 52, 56, 60
    Putter: White Hot XG 2-Ball
    Ball: : Pro V1

Handicap
    Thanks
    Had a good range session today. Hitting my irons really sweet and the wedges was on song just need a little more consistency with the driver.
    Spoiler
    Amp Cell Driver in blue 10.5*
    Amp cell 3/4 wood in blue set to 4 wood
    x2hot 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Apex irons with Recoil shafts 5-SW
    xft 60* wedge
    Si3 putter
    Hex Chrome ball

Handicap
    +3
    Thanks
    Great iron session. Flushing it. Everything's clicking.
    X-Hot 9.5* w/ UST VTS 6S Black
    Super LS 14* w/ UST VTS 6S Black
    X-Hot Pro 20*
    CMB 4-PW
    Mack Daddy 52 & 58
    Ghost Spider S
    HEX Black

Handicap
    Thanks
    I didn't play this weekend but I did go to the range twice. Both days worked on alignment and setup to get rid of the pulls and pull hooks that creep into my iron game from time to time and then seem to disappear for a while just as mysteriously, seemingly at random. Also worked on controlling fades and draws with a driver using the Trevino method of moving hands forward for a draw and back a little for a fade with no other changes to setup or aim. Works pretty consistently and doesn't take as much practice to pull off as a complete setup change with open face or closed face depending. Also worked on a stinger with a 3 wood. At the end of every session I hit driver to a gap between two targets, making sure I hit between them as if hitting a fairway, then I hit a 7 iron and then go back to a driver then hit a wedge then hit maybe 5 iron or hybrid and then back to driver or 3W, mixing up long and short like you have to on the golf course. The biggest difference between range and golf course is you get one chance to hit your target on the golf course. The only way to really know how you are hitting the ball on the range is to do the same thing, give yourself only one chance to hit the target.

Handicap
    Thanks
    What type of balls does your range have? Also why kind of condition are they in? I ask because lm wondering how accurate of a ball flight or distance I get on the range with say a 4 year old srixon practice ball that the dimples are worn down and the ball is practically smooth compared to say a brand new Bridgestone b330rx. How much of a difference do you think this makes from the range to the course?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handicap
    Lots
    Thanks
    Saturday and today were range days... Saturday was a good iron day all the way through being able to consciously place my wedge (PW only) shots at 15, 25 then 50 feet. Driver sucked.

Today it was 50/50 for the whole practice; mostly because I was rushing. If I slowed it all down, set up, remember to keep my left arm straight on the backswing things were pretty good.

Hot hot hot today... Went through 1/2 a Camelbak on the range (2 lrg buckets).

spazzdog
    Lifetime sports-a-holic, novice golfer.

In the bag: MacGregor DX set circa 1986 (sMoms) and Dad's old Otey Crisman hickory shafted Otey III HB310 putter.

Congratulations to Team Hacker's, the 2012 Morgan Cup Champions!

Handicap
    Thanks
    Windy day...a big dust devil kicked up while I was filming. I've had one of those hit me on the course and the winds pick up to around 50-70mph for a few seconds...pretty fun.
    Classic 9.0
    FL 15
    588 combos
    588 52, 56, 60
    Gambler Royal
    Z Star ball

Handicap
    My brain
    Thanks
    My range sessions have been going well this year. My back is feeling much better, so I am able to take a full swing again. My distances have picked up quite a bit as a result. I've been killing my driver lately, just crushing it at times(for me). I'm not sure of the distance yet, but I played last week on a blustery day with 40* temps and was averaging 250-260. I've given up on being concerned about how high I hit the ball now also, with a full swing, it appears that the higher I hit it, the farther it goes, driver included. Being able to take my normal swing has also improved my accuracy. Now I just have to adjust for the increased distance.
    Spoiler

2014 bag
    Spyke
    Driver Classic XL 10.5/B.Asha 4S
    FW TBD
    Arns Altitudes 3-S Actionlite 55 S
    Wedges Smart sole S
    Putter testing, and still gaming, mFGP Thanks to SeeMore and THP!
    tested 3W Thanks to Boccieri and THP!

Handicap
    me
    Thanks
    I can do 250 with my driver......IF......I don't slice it. LOL. I really need to get better with my driver. I have to get set up then move my right foot back to get a straight shot. I don't want to have to do that. And I don't do that with any other club.

I was KILLING my 7i today. High and straight for 150 yards. I'm really happy with my swing on all my clubs except the driver.

I've taken out some clubs as I find I don't need to carry them around. I'm going with Driver, 21* 5 wood, 25* 4H, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, SW, putter. I'm wanting to find a wedge soon.
    Hybrids RULE !!!!

Handicap
    Thanks
    Had a great range session today, was striking the ball very very well.

Warmed up with my 6 iron, was taking great divots hitting down on the ball getting good distance.

I hit maybe 5 shots with the driver and then about 10 with the 3 wood off the deck and back into the bag they went as everything was long and straight, not much I felt I needed to work on in that department today. Spent the rest of my time with irons.

A few months ago I only ever took a divot if I chunked it fat. I made the transition from having a sweeping swing to striking down on the ball and taking a divot. This transition has improved my distance and control dramatically. Overall very happy after today, lets see if I can transition this all onto the course tomorrow.

Oh... I also saw someone launch a RBZ 3W head into the field
    Last edited by CapC; 05-08-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Classic 290
    Razr Fit 3W
    Mashie+ M3
    CB3 4-G w/ Tour shafts
    588 54/12
    588 58/12
    One CS

Handicap
    Thanks
    In preparation for the outing next week, I spent last night at the range trying to get more control with my driver. Since I got the Cleveland Black for Christmas, I haven't had a chance to spend a whole range session with it. I've been teeing off with my 3w for the most part as I have a lot more control over it, but would like to game the driver a lot more for those longer holes. I hit 10 balls with my 9i and 10 with my 3w to warm up and them hit the rest with my driver. It took me a while to start getting good contact in the sweet spot, but once I figured that out, the driver can really hit the ball! I spent the remainder of the time working on rotating my wrists to try to hit the ball with a square face and reduce my slice. It took some time, but I began to control it quite a bit. I'm excited to go back tonight and continue working on it!
    In my Silver Mini-Staff bag (and often my Monster travel bag):

Driver: Black 10.5*
    Woods: Ultralight 3w 15*
    Hybrids: Baffler Rail H
    Irons: GT2
    Specialty: 56* Niblick
    Putter:

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CapC View Post

Oh... I also saw someone launch a RBZ 3W head into the field
    Happened to me once on the range with my VR pro str8 fit 3W. Snapped right at the str8fit adapter. Not a good feeling when the club head goes further then the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handicap
    Thanks
    Had a helpful gentleman give me some pointers my last session. He suggested I change my grip and as soon as I did, I saw immediate results. Apparently my left hand was gripping too open-I needed to turn in more and show more of the top of my hand. This was the answer I was searching for to fix my blocks to the right. I was hitting practically everything straight from then on. Cant wait to get back out there next week to make sure this swing sticks!

Handicap
    GHIN 1.1
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,801 Posts
    I had a really solid range session. Took fellow THPer MikeDean out to my home range for a long session.

As always I start low and work my way from wedges to driver. I've been really dialed in with my wedges so I only hit about 20 with my 58* and quickly moved onto my PW. Constantly dropping about 20-30 on the 140 green, I switched to my 8 iron and starting working on the 160 flag, which again was really dialed in.

Most of my time was spent on my 6/5/4 which I am really just trying to hit straight. My misses have been a healthy draw, or a bit of a block out to the right, and I feel like this was really ironed out tonight, with most of my shots heading straight towards my target.

I have noticed that with my Burner 2.0 4 iron hammering out there 210+ carry easily, I have no real need for my hybrid. I haven't used it in probably 5 rounds and don't feel like I gain much of anything hitting it instead of my 4 iron. That said, I spent some time hitting it and trying to straighten out what had been a pretty mean draw, and did the same thing with my 3 wood which has been a bit more consistent. Finally, the driver, and then Mike's 910D2, which both hit really well tonight.

Mike and I then moved to the practice green and after I putted for about 25 minutes, we swapped out for wedges and had a fun sand game with the green being all to ourselves.

Great time, great practice, and positive results. That's my kind of Tuesday!
    In my US Open Staff Bag:

Big Bertha Alpha Driver

X2Hot Pro Fairway
    915h Hybrid
    MP-15 Irons
    j40 Wedges
    M7 Private Reserve
    B330
    SGXw

Currently loving the Biofusion Spikeless shoes

Handicap
    USGA 12.8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,759 Posts
    I've had back to back bad range sessions. I feel too upright and cast. I feel too flat and lay off the ball. My posture and address to the ball feel all messed up. In short, I am a wreck. The only thing I can hit (as usual) are the RazrX hybrids. I walked from the range to the front desk and scheduled time with my teaching pro for Saturday. Until this I had been striking the ball really nicely. Man this is disappointing. What a frustrating game this can be :)
    Driver: R1 Black - Aldila RIP Phenom 58g, stiff
    Fairway Wood: G20 3W - TFC 169F, stiff
    Hybrids: RazrX, 3h,4h, stiff stock
    Irons: i25 4 - SW, TFC 189I, Stiff
    Wedges: J40 58* - DG Spinner
    Putter: Counter Balanced PCB