SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Are you ready? Let's get on with it then.

So this morning I got out at o'dark o'clock in the pouring rain (sniffle) to start rocking a marathon testing day. 1x18 holes (6400 yards), 1 x 18 hole par 3 (1800 yards), 3 range buckets (240 balls) and a partridge and a pear tree were shot today. I didn't really care about scoring, deliberately missed some greens in odd positions to see what would happen and to get some more data. To make this less of a text block I'm going to break up my thoughts into a couple of sections and posts.
A: The Grip
Great picture by mdbuschsr to really show the markings on the grip. I honestly can't believe no one thought of this before because it's genius. I spent a long time working on what would happen in each grip position with a 1/2, 3/4, full swing and the results were impressive. I need more data before I can say for sure but changing the grip position wasn't as uniform as I thought in terms of distance change on each club. For example with the 59 using a half swing I could alter the distance from 45 to 68 yards pretty easily which gives up a distance change of 23 yards over 5 grip positions (I'm the weirdo that Spanks aluted to who grips the club waaay up on the small line at the top of the grip). This in theory gives us a 4.6 yard change based on the grip position. It didn't play out quite so uniform for me. One position changed the distance by 7 yards, well above the mean and I found this consistent though the 51/55/59.

I'd also like to point out that these grips are pretty great in the rain. I started on the par 3 this morning when it was pouring and foolishly forgot my towel in the car. Turns out, I didn't need it. The grip seems to repel water rather well (to be fair, so does the Pure grip on the Scratch's). I didn't have a single problem with slipage and they dried out remarkably fast when I was done for the little water they took on. Like were bone dry by the time I swapped my shoes.

The less stellar part is I don't really like the compound part of the grip at the top. If I was at the range practicing my short game all day I'm not sure my hands would be a happy camper at the end. It grips into your hand so well that those who don't wear a glove and who have soft hands could find they rip a bit. Not like taking huge chunks out or anything but there could be irratation

B: Shaft
I'll be totally honest and saw I'm not really sure what to think of this shaft yet. It feels very similair to a KBS Hi-Rev, even right down to how you can feel the tip of the shaft whip through the ball on a full swing. I'm use to the feeling from playing KBS tours and Hi-rev's in the past but it's been a bit so the feel is a bit weird to get use to. I'll also touch on the weight of the shaft when I talk about the iron v wedge question SCOR brings up.

C: Set up Position
I really want to touch on setup position because I'm finding it extremely important to get the most out of these wedges and how it plays with the sole. Earlier there's an excellent shot of the Vsole from adwillingham. Getting the sole to the correct bounce angle for the lie you have is very important. Don't just plunk the wedge down, swing away and expect magic. You need to woo it with the Barry White setup to get it going. If your lie is fluffy and you need the bounce, set up with the main part of the sole being down. In my case I find that it means my hands aren't in front of the ball as I'm use to. If however you need less bounce, you need the leading wedge of the sole to be grounded. This will likely end up with your hands being farther in front of you then usual. Don't move the ball around to compensate, that way leads to disaster as I found out today. Let the sole guide your hand position for your shot and adjust your ball position as normal.

For example, if using the 58/59/60, set up with the ball being further back in your stance and set the club down on the proper part of the sole. If for example you have a fairway lie, use the front edge, let it move your hands forward. What you'll notice here as well is that moving your hands more forward means your weight is shifted more towards the front as well. Lots of people seem to want to keep their weight back when chipping and it doesn't allow them to get down and through the ball for the chip. When your weight is more forward, it helps reduce this from occuring leading to lots of saved shots around the green.

If you have a fluffy lie and the plan is to open the face up, the club isn't quite so demanding about where you put your weight. It does tend to lead to a more balanced setup since your hands are closer to the ball but there's nothing stopping you from leaning either way or staying balanced as is your preference. I did find that going after the ball in the fluff and sand I was having better results with a balanced weight setup but I can see that vary on the person easily.

I've got 8 more sections to touch on but because this is becoming long I'm going to just finish with two more.

D: The 59 is Awesome
Why is the 59 awesome? I got my first hole in one today with it baby! Lets rock it Old Gray Style :bananadance::banana::alien2:

E: For Tmex
Hey Tmex, remember your Jaws and the sweet spot? I might not be quite as good but I'll take this up against your Jaws anyday
Image1001IMG_20110917_132134.jpg

Not sure that's going to come out picture wise but after 30 shots with the 55, I didn't have a single outside of a quarter spot. Little higher up the face then I would like but what can you do when they were all out of the rough?

Still to come on Tuna time:
vSole thoughs
Distance changes
Irons v wedges cage match
forged v cast and is Tuna really a snob?

Until later tonight. Same tuna channel, totally different time. KAPOW!

Congrats on the hole in one!! Are you hands sore after play and hitting that many balls? Job well done and a great write up, pleasure to read

Cheers for the comments guys! I had a lot of fun with the unboxing as did my furball. I guess boxes from Texas that went through UPS packing sites smell good because he won't leave the box alone.

I'm going to be harping on this a lot as I go through the review (sole is the most important part of an iron/hybrid/wedge head for me) but wanted to share a qukck observation/question. As a sweeper, bounce is rather important to me and for the most part I'll be playing shots on the short end of the vsole. What I notice when I lay it down to get that effect is my hands get a little further in front of the ball then I'm use to. It also makes me lean my weight more forward on the higher lofted clubs due to the shaft length. Does anyone else find that? So far I'm thinking it's a neat feature to remind one to put their weight forward when chipping (or at least that's what I've been taught), espcially with short, touchy shots around the green. I'm very curious to see how this works out with 3/4 or full shots from the fairway especially with the 43 which is my 9 iron replacement. When I normally take a 9 iron shot I'm balanced in my weight rather then a bit forward. Going to be rather neat to see.

For what it's worth Lemmiwinks you're going to see a lot of info along those lines come from me. I'm a big fan of the Pelz way of making the 4 clock rotation shots at different grip levels. With the clearly laid out grip markers and the clock system I'm really hoping to be able to dial the distance of each club down to a very small distance variable.

I do the Pelz method also. That would be crazy to have all of those choke down distances as well. You might have every distance covered from 15-100 yards! Makes these Scors even more ponderific

Are you ready? Let's get on with it then.

So this morning I got out at o'dark o'clock in the pouring rain (sniffle) to start rocking a marathon testing day. 1x18 holes (6400 yards), 1 x 18 hole par 3 (1800 yards), 3 range buckets (240 balls) and a partridge and a pear tree were shot today. I didn't really care about scoring, deliberately missed some greens in odd positions to see what would happen and to get some more data. To make this less of a text block I'm going to break up my thoughts into a couple of sections and posts.
A: The Grip
Great picture by mdbuschsr to really show the markings on the grip. I honestly can't believe no one thought of this before because it's genius. I spent a long time working on what would happen in each grip position with a 1/2, 3/4, full swing and the results were impressive. I need more data before I can say for sure but changing the grip position wasn't as uniform as I thought in terms of distance change on each club. For example with the 59 using a half swing I could alter the distance from 45 to 68 yards pretty easily which gives up a distance change of 23 yards over 5 grip positions (I'm the weirdo that Spanks aluted to who grips the club waaay up on the small line at the top of the grip). This in theory gives us a 4.6 yard change based on the grip position. It didn't play out quite so uniform for me. One position changed the distance by 7 yards, well above the mean and I found this consistent though the 51/55/59.

I'd also like to point out that these grips are pretty great in the rain. I started on the par 3 this morning when it was pouring and foolishly forgot my towel in the car. Turns out, I didn't need it. The grip seems to repel water rather well (to be fair, so does the Pure grip on the Scratch's). I didn't have a single problem with slipage and they dried out remarkably fast when I was done for the little water they took on. Like were bone dry by the time I swapped my shoes.

The less stellar part is I don't really like the compound part of the grip at the top. If I was at the range practicing my short game all day I'm not sure my hands would be a happy camper at the end. It grips into your hand so well that those who don't wear a glove and who have soft hands could find they rip a bit. Not like taking huge chunks out or anything but there could be irratation

B: Shaft
I'll be totally honest and saw I'm not really sure what to think of this shaft yet. It feels very similair to a KBS Hi-Rev, even right down to how you can feel the tip of the shaft whip through the ball on a full swing. I'm use to the feeling from playing KBS tours and Hi-rev's in the past but it's been a bit so the feel is a bit weird to get use to. I'll also touch on the weight of the shaft when I talk about the iron v wedge question SCOR brings up.

C: Set up Position
I really want to touch on setup position because I'm finding it extremely important to get the most out of these wedges and how it plays with the sole. Earlier there's an excellent shot of the Vsole from adwillingham. Getting the sole to the correct bounce angle for the lie you have is very important. Don't just plunk the wedge down, swing away and expect magic. You need to woo it with the Barry White setup to get it going. If your lie is fluffy and you need the bounce, set up with the main part of the sole being down. In my case I find that it means my hands aren't in front of the ball as I'm use to. If however you need less bounce, you need the leading wedge of the sole to be grounded. This will likely end up with your hands being farther in front of you then usual. Don't move the ball around to compensate, that way leads to disaster as I found out today. Let the sole guide your hand position for your shot and adjust your ball position as normal.

For example, if using the 58/59/60, set up with the ball being further back in your stance and set the club down on the proper part of the sole. If for example you have a fairway lie, use the front edge, let it move your hands forward. What you'll notice here as well is that moving your hands more forward means your weight is shifted more towards the front as well. Lots of people seem to want to keep their weight back when chipping and it doesn't allow them to get down and through the ball for the chip. When your weight is more forward, it helps reduce this from occuring leading to lots of saved shots around the green.

If you have a fluffy lie and the plan is to open the face up, the club isn't quite so demanding about where you put your weight. It does tend to lead to a more balanced setup since your hands are closer to the ball but there's nothing stopping you from leaning either way or staying balanced as is your preference. I did find that going after the ball in the fluff and sand I was having better results with a balanced weight setup but I can see that vary on the person easily.

I've got 8 more sections to touch on but because this is becoming long I'm going to just finish with two more.

D: The 59 is Awesome
Why is the 59 awesome? I got my first hole in one today with it baby! Lets rock it Old Gray Style :bananadance::banana::alien2:

E: For Tmex
Hey Tmex, remember your Jaws and the sweet spot? I might not be quite as good but I'll take this up against your Jaws anyday
Image1001IMG_20110917_132134.jpg

Not sure that's going to come out picture wise but after 30 shots with the 55, I didn't have a single outside of a quarter spot. Little higher up the face then I would like but what can you do when they were all out of the rough?

Still to come on Tuna time:
vSole thoughs
Distance changes
Irons v wedges cage match
forged v cast and is Tuna really a snob?

Until later tonight. Same tuna channel, totally different time. KAPOW!

Great post ST. Congrats on the hole in one!!

To the testers. What type of swings do you guys have? I know the VSole is marketed as being good for any type of swing but I'm wondering how it truly does with a digger type swing. Thanks.

Fantastic write up ST! I'm in the same boat as CL here. I dig everything that's over about a hlaf swing with my wedges so these V-Soles interest me like nothing else. Just curious as to how they perform in preventing digging, etc. Thanks!

Cheers guys!

bgammill: Nope, mine are fine but that's because I use two gloves and don't remove them for touch shots like a lot of people.

Damaikis/CL: I can't help you with the digger thing since that's not how I swing but I've got two pages of notes on the V soles to put into a post in the morning which you might find interesting. For the record, I think you'll be able to work with the SCOR's quite well. The wrong side of the V is what would make me dig but the other side is what's going to keep you from getting stuck.

CL: I didn't really use the Pelz method before however it's too good of a chance to pass to try the method with these wedges. I think they're ideally suited to each other if one wants to put in the time to figure it out. That's nothing against the intuitive shots either, I just like my golf sciency and statistical.

That was great, having your partners do a mini review, One-T. Seems like the SCOR wedges worked well for them. I like how they seem to be doing really well for you.

Hole is ones, great videos, getting in touch with the feel of these clubs. All great stuff guys...When I read about these clubs I saw them as finesse clubs. It looks like they are so much more. Those of you that have the 9iron scor, do you think it could ever permanetly replace your current 9? Also with the shape of the club being more like a wedge, do you feel comfortable oening the club to get a softer higher loft? Or am I wrong about the shape and it's more of a traditional shaped 9 iron?

Congrats on the ace! I have yet to get one of those.
Great vids, reviews and photos. I am really looking hard at these.
I wish there was somewhere here in town that I could hit them.

Congrats to ST on the ACE! Hopefully you fill us in on the shot a little more. I love hearing success stories.

For Chunky and Damaikis... I am a major digger. I have no problem getting the club through the turf, through the dirt and clean down to the core of the planet.

The first picture is from my Eidolon 54. I am really concentrating on my ball striking and focus over the ball. Pay no attention to the long divot line at the top of the pic. I set a tee in the ground and hit five balls lined up with the tee. I made good contact on the first second & fourth. The Third and fifth were pretty fat.

Destruction-1.jpg

For the second image I was swinging my SCOR 55. Here the 1st, 4th, & 5th are spot on. While the 2nd was obviously bladed, and the 3rd was just a little thin.

Destruction-2.jpg

I posted both pictures to show sort of a comparison between two very similar wedges. But I know you are really interested in the second. Like I said, I dig ditches with most of my iron/wedge swings. As you can see the club just keeps plowing the field. The V-Sole has no problems cutting through everything, and the shaft (Genius 7 stiff) really dampens the harsh interaction with terrafirma much better than on my Eidolons (Genius 12 steel stiff).

The SCOR method actually promotes choking down an inch at a time and utilizing full swings. The markings on the grips exactly one inch apart.
Grips.jpg

By way of comparison the markings on the NDMC are about 13/16 apart. The idea of choking down in known increments is solid IMO. Grips like these are certainly more helpful in knowing how far you are choking down when compared to say a Tour Velvet.

One-T doesn't miss the sweet spot :D, at least not often... For the most part I am seeing minor distance loss. Occasionally, I'll see a bit of a hook show up on strikes closer to the toe but really that is the ball strikers fault not the club. I see the same type of action from my Burner 2.0's on miss-hits.

QFT

I will say hands down I would choose the SCOR clubs by a wide margin. I went through quite a few different Cleveland wedges, all with varying degrees of loft & bounce. The only one I could ever hit consistently was a CG10 56* - 2-dot (whatever that means). I had days and situations with all of the other wedges where I could hit them well, but the inconsistency was a confidence destroyer.

Sweet, thats what I was after. Thats the same CG10 I play. Thanks for the response.

I got out to play 18 yesterday and kept score for the first time since receiving the SCOR Golf clubs and starting the test. Before I get into my review from yesterday, I want to say a BIG thank you again to THP and SCOR Golf for choosing me. Because of this testing, I find myself wanting to go to the range more often. And it’s not just time at the range, it’s time spent really concentrating on my swing and the performance of the clubs. As a result, my ball striking is already much better and more consistent than the first time on the course just one week ago!

Yesterday the weather was kinda yucky. I got to the course about 12:30, it was 60* or so with a mist falling that stuck around all day. The greens were wet with the mist and nothing but the highest softest shots would hold. I posted yesterday that I shot a 91 including three 3-putts, an OB penalty, and I carded a lovely 9 on the par 5 18[SUP]th[/SUP]. I am growing to really HATE #18!!

I was going to post a stroke by stroke tail of my round, but really no one is here to read about my driver, hybrid, etc. I had a case of the pulls with my irons/wedges yesterday so most of my full swing shots were a good bit left of my target. Also, I need to continue working to pin down my yardages, but I’m getting there. My chipping in close was off, sending the majority well beyond the hole.

There has been some talk recently about how well these clubs work when executing a flop shot. Every time I have ever attempted the flop, I've bladed the ball and sent a rocket 18" off the ground miles over the green. I decided to give it a go, knowing that if I pulled it off I wouldn't be any where near the green, but if I bladed it I might be able to find it.

[YOUTUBE]LI2Oy34u8yg[/YOUTUBE]
For the first time ever I actually flopped the ball. I give all of the credit to the club. I had the blade opened up so far it scared me. In the past fear became reality, but not this time. I put as confident a swing as I could muster on it and popped the ball straight up in the air going only 15' or so forward.

So, I pulled the ball back to continue my round. Here is the chip to the green. I was too lazy to walk back over to the cart for the right wedge, so this is a 60* from 30 yards that ends pin high 10' right.
[YOUTUBE]JYsUyOttmu4[/YOUTUBE]
As I continue this test I can see me becoming more and more adept with the 60. I had given up hope of ever utilizing that loft, because I was never successful with it. I just counted, and I have 3 60's that went in and out of the bag quickly. I've also traded in 3 others that I could not use effectively. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase with these clubs, but they do inspire confidence.

In this one, I hit the 45* from 140 slightly downhill. By this point in the round I was pasting the ball. By way of comparison my 8-iron is my 150 club on a regular basis. I was 15 yards short of the flag on the fringe but that rotten pull was still there. Can you tell I'm getting tired of it? If I was on my target line this shot would have cozied up close on the slick wet green.
[YOUTUBE]HmEmxE_b-os[/YOUTUBE]

Kind of a short review, but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to include in my reviews... *Sends PM to Chunky!

In the end I know I have a lot of work to do on my game, but with these clubs I know my short game will improve quickly. I also just found out that a range nearby to me holds a set of short game classes. The class works on everything from 100 yards and in. I'm going to sign up and get to work.

My boy wants to get out for a round today, so if that happens I may have some thoughts later, but I plan to concentrate on having fun with him.

(note: I am not a forum tester for these clubs, just own them and am sharing my findings)
Test Date:
09/17/2011
Testing Club: SCOR golf wedges - 52 & 57 degrees
Testing Purpose: Full round played
My Club: Previously I was using the Nike VR Pro wedges
Ball Used: Srixon AD-333 for majority of the round
Environment: Texas - 90 degrees, mostly cloudy, South winds 10-15 MPH. Rained night before so course was soggy.

Finally got out for my first full round with these and am very pleased with how everything went all things considered. I had not had an opportunity to dial in my yardages yet with these 2 clubs so that kind of took place during the round.

My thought going into it was that the 52 would be about 95 yards on a full shot (no choke down) and the 57 would be about 75.

Hole 4 - 96 yards out and pull the 52 out. Flies directly over the pin and lands over the green. Just realized that I carry it about 105. Lesson learned but very well struck shot!!
Hole 8 - 112 yards out and have a very tight window to go under a few limbs, over a few others, and then draw it back towards the green.
View from where shot was hit:
IMG_0053.jpg

Result of shot:
IMG_0054.jpg

Once the ball landed, it appears to have taken a big bounce and then stopped. Ball was about 10 feet past the ball mark.

This next shot I am going to explain shocked the heck out of me. 64 yards to the middle of the green and I chose to choke down on a 57 degree. Took a full swing and bladed it. It was screaming on that low ugly ball flight towards the back of the green and it hits and stops a foot past the ball mark!! What?? This is a shot that ALWAYS runs off the back for me. No idea how it get enough spin to stop like that but I then 2 putted for par from 35 feet instead of having a long chip and a likely bogey.

I was also able to use the 52 degree wedge for a ton of shots around the green. As I described in the Nike VR Pro Combo iron testing thread earlier, I was hitting good shots but everything was just landing off of the greens. I love chipping with the 52 around the greens now. I am able to carry it to 6 or 7 feet short of the flag and then it lands, one hops, and then the spin just kills it. I actually hit 2 flags yesterday chipping with this from off the green that bounced off to within 4 feet for easy pars. Much more to come here as this part of my game has been killing me lately. You can see my stats below and the 29 putts which tells you that I missed a ton of greens but got chips close enough to make putts.

Very excited about this addition to my bag!!

Final stats for my round yesterday:

Score 83 (par 71)
Birdies - 1
Pars - 8
Bogeys - 6
Doubles - 1
Triples - 1

FW: 9/13
GIR: 5/18
Putts: 29

I'm loving the reviews of these. I really like the idea of the choking down and placement options with the recommendation of a full swing for shorter shots. Some really great reviews and really great videos.

Nice write up Cookie. I've hit a few low screamers before that stopped like you described. It's not a shot that I want to try and develop, just a lucky thing to have happen.

Cookie, md, great posts guys.

The 'accidental' flop is hilarious md. I remember the first time I intentionally busted out a flop shot, it was one of the coolest things ever...but it only went like 30 feet lol, needless to say I've gotten much better at t*t and its a pretty handy shot to have. I've actually done it twice with my V-Sole'd Eidolons, pretty easy with them.

Thanks for the amswer md! And good write ups/pics thus far!

Killer write ups guys. At Disney for a few days and missing the SCORs. Will have some things tomorrow night I prepared before we left. Thought about shipping the SCORs down here to play but there's no time for golf, kids are the focus for the stay.

2 great writeups there fellas. Matt I loved your videos. The last one was awesome. I can see the frustration at the end and I see myself in that video so it made me laugh. Also great flop shot on the first one. And I hate 18 as well!! Great stuff man! Cookie you have been killing it. Not even an official reviewer and your contributing in this thread greatly.

Loving the reviews today! Cookie thanks for contributing as well as that just adds another person!

Nice reviews so far guys.

Question:
Is there a shot or circumstance that you find more difficult or intimidating with these wedges vs. your old wedges, (i.e. soggy lie, deep rough, tight lie, etc...). If so, why do you think?

Great updates and videos guys, these clubs have me pondering at the very least a new SW and LW. Are theEidolon wedges exactly the same as the Scor wedges? Or is there suttle differences.

Nice reviews so far guys.

Question:
Is there a shot or circumstance that you find more difficult or intimidating with these wedges vs. your old wedges, (i.e. soggy lie, deep rough, tight lie, etc...). If so, why do you think?

So far I have not come across anything that gives me pause vs previous wedges. In fact quite the opposite. I am more inclined to try shots, like the flop video I posted, than I have ever been before.

Great updates and videos guys, these clubs have me pondering at the very least a new SW and LW. Are theEidolon wedges exactly the same as the Scor wedges? Or is there suttle differences.

TBT, there are subtle differences. Mainly in the placement of the mass to control the sweet spot and launch conditions. I will try to get some good comparison images tonight.

great reviews guys. id def be interested in hitting these. the V sole really has me intrigued i was looking at the Eidolon wedges they have the same technology with the v sole. conditions change so much here throughout the year might be a good purchase. looking forward to more feedback

The reviews and results in this thread have been absolutely amazing guys. Keep up the great work! I am intrigued as sheesh right now.

Back