Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Would love to try these on an outdoor range - - I've played Ping G2's forever, but looking for new irons. Last I checked, the fitting carts in my area didn't have the Ping heads available, only the G15s. Anybody know if the supply line for Ping fitting carts has fixed this situation recently?

Thanks Hawk, I will update the thread in a couple of days. Plan is driving range tomorrow, then I will play a round on Sunday and another on Tuesday.

Update:

Driving range yesterday: Made friends with my new G20 Irons with 2 buckets of balls.

Todays (Sunday) round: My new G20 Irons are "Lethal Weapons" according to my playing partner. I have dialed them in! Long, high, crisp and straight as an arrow!

Happy Ping G20 man! :banana:

I hit these the other day at Golfsmith, and they were pretty good. Hit them solid and they seemed to have a bunch of forgiveness of off center hits. Good irons. I love Ping's stuff!

Glad to see you had some success with the G20's, Condorll!

I like Ping equipment and the i15 irons were very special to me after last year at the demo day. I still think about those irons when I see them on occasion. I could game them in a heartbeat. These new G20 irons look pretty cool so it will be fun to test them at the outing. I am putting these down on my lists if they make the demo day agenda.....

JB will you do a follow up review?

Curious how you feel Ping have mixed the distance, forgiveness and feel in these irons.

/Paul

Took these out yesterday with the driver and got a few swings in. Nice and high ball flight and I liked the shaft quite a bit with a smooth tempo swing. They definitely have a softer and more muted sound than the G15s which translates nicely to a softer feel. Was able to hit shots right, left and high, but did struggle if I wanted to hit a lower knock down shot (not that most need that). Distance was good and one thing I noticed that I really liked was that balls caught a groove thin or a groove thick had almost no distance loss whatsoever.

More testing coming up soon.

Looking for more info on the G20 I found this video.

PING Engineer Marty Jertson holing out from 138 yards with his G20 pitching wedge—a club he designed.

[YouTube]pAFNJaBNFrY[/youtube]

/Paul

haha thats an awesome video. Really cool that he did that with a club he designed

It can take awhile to get used to irons. When you say 'messing up' your iron shots, what do you mean?

I'm shopping for some new GI irons at the moment and have compared the two... a buddy of mine is currently swinging the G20's and i've hit them at the range plenty of times, I've also had a lot of demo time with the Razr x... to me the G20 is slightly more forgiving on off center hits, but it took a while for me to get accustomed to the look of them at address.... BUT i do like how the razr x's look behind the ball... seems to be more personal preference, but i have a terrible time trying to line up shots using irons with huge soles.... don't get me wrong, the razr x's are far from "thin" but its just more pleasing at address... both are great clubs, but for my personal preference, i chose to stick with the callaways and I'm currently looking for a set at a good price! try to demo them both to give yourself a fair chance of finding a club that suits you.... happy hunting!

Did you notice any difference in trajectory (height) or distance between the 2 sets?

I'm shopping for some new GI irons at the moment and have compared the two... a buddy of mine is currently swinging the G20's and i've hit them at the range plenty of times, I've also had a lot of demo time with the Razr x... to me the G20 is slightly more forgiving on off center hits, but it took a while for me to get accustomed to the look of them at address.... BUT i do like how the razr x's look behind the ball... seems to be more personal preference, but i have a terrible time trying to line up shots using irons with huge soles.... don't get me wrong, the razr x's are far from "thin" but its just more pleasing at address... both are great clubs, but for my personal preference, i chose to stick with the callaways and I'm currently looking for a set at a good price! try to demo them both to give yourself a fair chance of finding a club that suits you.... happy hunting!

I really need to hit these. Ping irons intrigue me for some reason

the more I see and hear about these irons the more I want to hit them. PING has some great options right now

They always do for me as well, but for some reason I just don't hit them well.

I agree. I think they look so different than anything im used to at address. I actually kind of like them, but have never been able to hit them at all

Anybody have a link to the G20 Irons review? I can't find it.

Thanks

If its not in the 1st post, its not published yet.

Great update, sounds like if one can get past the wide sole / look of these clubs and focus on the performance they are a great choice. I plan to hit these, and Ping's other offerings on Tuesday at a Demo Day they are hosting nearby.

I went with 'look' this spring and got some Taylormade CB's. I'm in this thread looking to replace my 'good looking' CB's. I don't find the look of the G20's that offensive.

Was thinking about trying G20's but from what I've read here there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to my G15's to make it worth while.....plus that would be my 5th set of irons this season :-\

For those who have mentioned turf interaction with the G series, I do find when the course is really hard that when I take a divot the club really struggles to cut through and I have to come down on the ball far more aggressively and hold the club tighter.....fortunately living in Manchester the courses are nearly always soft and wet!!

Nothing wrong with mult sets as long as you end up finding ones that you like best....If that's the case then I think you'd be ok with these. Some people just switch for the sake of doing so which I never got but if you're doing it for a purpose in mind then that's cool. Hit them anyway and see what you think!

Was thinking about trying G20's but from what I've read here there doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to my G15's to make it worth while.....plus that would be my 5th set of irons this season :-\

For those who have mentioned turf interaction with the G series, I do find when the course is really hard that when I take a divot the club really struggles to cut through and I have to come down on the ball far more aggressively and hold the club tighter.....fortunately living in Manchester the courses are nearly always soft and wet!!

So when will it be published?

Thanks

Patience.

It will be published the day you see it on the home page. Lots of stuff going on this time of year :)

Tried the Ping G20's in golftown in Vancouver, absolutely loved them! Getting fitted tomorrow from Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club, can't wait! Only worried a bit about hitting shots fat with these clubs since the sole is so wide, heard that has happened to some of you. Will post back to tell how the fitting goes tomorrow =) Thanks for all the insight on these clubs, this site is truly amazing!

Tried the Ping G20's in golftown in Vancouver, absolutely loved them! Getting fitted tomorrow from Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club, can't wait! Only worried a bit about hitting shots fat with these clubs since the sole is so wide, heard that has happened to some of you. Will post back to tell how the fitting goes tomorrow =) Thanks for all the insight on these clubs, this site is truly amazing!

I can hit fat shot with any sole if I lose my spine angle! If I hadn't recently just started to groove with the X-24s, I'd be seriously testing out the G20s. I almost went with the G15 and really liked their performance but not so much their feel. From what I'm reading here, the G20s feel much smoother.

Gibbins1@sbcglobal.net

I'm fairly new to golf (6 months) and considering these. Being so new, forgiveness is pretty important to me. Can anyone comment on the forgiveness of these vs the g15's? I have multiple friends who swear by the 15's, but I'm intrigued by these and can't imagine they'd take a step back in that regard. Would greatly appreciate opinions!

I can hit fat shot with any sole if I lose my spine angle! If I hadn't recently just started to groove with the X-24s, I'd be seriously testing out the G20s. I almost went with the G15 and really liked their performance but not so much their feel. From what I'm reading here, the G20s feel much smoother.

hahaha that is true about hitting shots fat like that. My errors are usually hitting a bit behind the ball so hopefully it doesn't cause to much issue. For me I noticed a definite difference in feel, found the G20's to feel a lot better.

Back