3w and 8i Swing Vids

Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
I spent some time at the range yesterday, and I thought I'd put up a couple vids for comment. The first is a 3w. I filmed myself straight on for the first time ever, and looking at it made me cringe a bit.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/f1WHKasZ?embed=true

My swing is too flat, my left arm is not straight enough, and my left knee comes in way too far. Those are the biggest things I noticed. If anything else jumps out at anyone, I'd appreciate the feedback. I've never taken lessons and I think I need to rebuild a lot about my swing if I'm going to be serious about playing competitively. The next is an eight iron (I believe). The flat plane is still pretty evident. Something else I notice is the tendency for my right shoulder to come up on my downswing. I wonder if this isn't responsible for my coming over the top.

http://www.swingreader.com/video/view/tZxxgTXY?embed=true

I can't really help except to suggest that you make a similar post in the Ask the Pro section, Dan. Good luck!

As soon as I can watch the video I will Dan. Look forward to it.

Great stuff in here

As soon as I can watch the video I will Dan. Look forward to it.

Is there a problem with the link, or are you referring to time restraints?

I think he means he can't see them from the PC he's on currently. Probably due to firewall.

I can't really help except to suggest that you make a similar post in the Ask the Pro section, Dan. Good luck!

Good suggestion. I'm still new here, so I'm learning where things need to go.

EDIT: I've gone ahead and posted the videos in the Ask the Pros forum. Thanks!

Last edited:
Are you hitting that 3W off a tee or off the deck I can't really tell. I don't think your swing is too flat at all. I agree your left knee working back behind the ball is not necessary and probably causes timing issues if you get a little tired or if you haven't had a lot of practice time lately. Your swing is good enough you definitely need a pro to look at it to get a real in depth critique.

Are you hitting that 3W off a tee or off the deck I can't really tell. I don't think your swing is too flat at all. I agree your left knee working back behind the ball is not necessary and probably causes timing issues if you get a little tired or if you haven't had a lot of practice time lately. Your swing is good enough you definitely need a pro to look at it to get a real in depth critique.

Honestly I don't remember if I was using a tee or not. I was hitting both ways yesterday.

Great swing! Horrible setup!

There's no spine tilt away from the target. Kick your hips toward the target just a tad, this will set your spine angle for the swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZFZnD1hCY&feature=related

P
ause that at setup, if you drew a line from his belt buckle up through his head it would be tilted away from the ball. You can also see that his right leg is slightly kicked in and braced throughout the swing. This allows him to make a good turn without swaying and really unwind onto his left side through impact.

If you kick your hips toward the target just a tad at setup everything else will fall into place. All you have to do is wind up feeling the pressure on the instep of your right foot, and unwind to your left side.

If you wanna learn that swing, google Slicefixer and go to town...then book some lessons.

edit: On the iron video, standing way too close to the ball. Wouldn't hurt to give yourself a couple more inches to swing around your body.

Last edited:
Great swing! Horrible setup!

There's no spine tilt away from the target. Kick your hips toward the target just a tad, this will set your spine angle for the swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ZFZnD1hCY&feature=related

P
ause that at setup, if you drew a line from his belt buckle up through his head it would be tilted away from the ball. You can also see that his right leg is slightly kicked in and braced throughout the swing. This allows him to make a good turn without swaying and really unwind onto his left side through impact.

If you kick your hips toward the target just a tad at setup everything else will fall into place. All you have to do is wind up feeling the pressure on the instep of your right foot, and unwind to your left side.

If you wanna learn that swing, google Slicefixer and go to town...then book some lessons.

edit: On the iron video, standing way too close to the ball. Wouldn't hurt to give yourself a couple more inches to swing around your body.

Thanks for the great comments! I've wondered about that spine tilt in the past. I'll definitely try it out tomorrow.

Back