High launch, low spin shafts

jnug

Reaction score
I know it has become popular lately for the shaft guys to promote their high launch, low spin shafts.

I just wanted to make sure I had this right. The attraction for us players is that we get the high trajectory out of the high launch characteristic but are not robbed of distance from high spin rates. Often players need high spin rates in order to get the ball on a proper trajectory. I guess the idea is that if you can get the ball in the air on a proper high trajectory which is what you want with the contemporary driver, then you do not need the high spin rates that might ultimately rob you of some distance.

Is that about right or am I missing something?

I guess so, I suppose in theory it could also allow you to use a lower lofted driver to get more distance, but still get the ball on the right trajectory.

However keep in mind that high launch and low spin isn't quite true. Because the spin is so cut down the shaft doesn't have that active of a tip and doesn't launch the ball as high as a high launch shaft. IE you don't get a shaft that launches like a Prolaunch Blue with the spin rate of a Whiteboard. It's more along the lines of low spin with a medium launch that can't balloon on you so that higher hitters or faster swing speeds don't lose the carry distance they want.

I quite like them since carry distance is the only thing that matters out here.

From my research it seems best at this time to get more loft in the driver head and put a low spin low launch shaft in there. Emphasis is on reducing spin and launch ATM. Not that you are wrong, you are right. The crop of shafts out there that reduce spin also reduce launch. The closest shaft I have found that matches what you describe is the Matrix HD Radix shaft. I really can't find a shaft other than the Radix that increases launch while reducing spin over what is found in a typical OEM shaft. What shafts are you referring to if you don't mind me asking?

edit: The Radix will most likely not launch any higher than a standard OEM, it will most likely launch equally as high with reduced spin

Last edited:
You guys are right. While a bunch of the shaft makers have been marketing them as high launch, low spin in reality they end up for the most part only able to achieve mid-launch, low spin. In fact its funny. Often I see the marketing copy written as high launch, low spin but then you go look at the specs and they define them as mid-launch.

Griff thanks for your comment. I have been wondering about exactly that. I guess there are enough shaft and head options out there to allow a player to try to optimize his combination. In my case depending on the maker, 9.5* to 10.5* heads seem to be best for me. Again depending on the maker sometimes 10.5 is just too much. Rarely is 9.5 a problem. If I am using a 9.5* head these mid-launch low spin shafts seem to work pretty good for me. I am about to get a Dromos set up for my 9064ls dfs.

Also wouldn't hurt to get your driver digitally checked for loft. I have seen 9.5s checked out at 10. 10s are 11s etc. Also having your shafts checked to make sure the flex is what the shaft really is. Just like club head lofts being wrong. Shafts sometimes are not the flex they say they are. You are right though. The degree if the club is for launch and the shaft is more for spin, ball speed etc.

Also wouldn't hurt to get your driver digitally checked for loft. I have seen 9.5s checked out at 10. 10s are 11s etc. Also having your shafts checked to make sure the flex is what the shaft really is. Just like club head lofts being wrong. Shafts sometimes are not the flex they say they are. You are right though. The degree if the club is for launch and the shaft is more for spin, ball speed etc.

Ping freely states theirs are +/- 1*. That's a ton if you ask me. It's why I paid the extra couple bucks to know what loft I had in my expensive driver. I am not so precise as to require an 11.5 driver head, just seemed a safe choice between 12 and 10.5. So many shafts out there reduce spin I chose more loft in the driver head and picked up the benefit of reduce sidespin effects you get with a higher lofted club. Too many reasons to not chose the highest loft head you can IMO.

Back