Nike and David Duval Part Ways

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
http://jacksonville.com/sports/golf/2010-10-06/story/mcgladrey-classic-notebook-david-duval-nike-part-ways-after-10-years

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. — The swoosh that has adorned David Duval's clothing, bag and equipment for the past 10 years on the PGA Tour is gone.

That's because Duval and Nike have parted ways. The Jacksonville native and 13-time PGA Tour winner is going logo-less on his clothes and bag and said he won't decide on what equipment he will play for the 2011 season until he does more testing over the winter.

Beyond that, Duval did not want to comment on the specifics of why he is no longer using Nike clubs. He is playing with a set of irons made by Scratch Golf at this week's McGladrey Classic and a Taylor Made driver.

"I haven't decided what I'm going to do. ... I want to figure out what I want to do, and start [2011] with exactly the tools I want in my bag and go from there," Duval said Tuesday on the Sea Island range.

Scratch Golf, which was launched in 2003, is based in Chattanooga, Tenn. The company hand-grinds all of its irons and wedges and is at the high end of equipment price points.

Ryan Moore, a two-time winner on the PGA Tour, is the other notable player who uses Scratch irons. The company does not currently make drivers or fairway metals.

Scratch Golf director of tour operations Paul Friedrich obviously would like his irons in Duval's bag for the long term.

"We hope things work out," Friedrich said. "From everything we're hearing, David really likes the irons."

Duval said he's not trolling for the best deal from a financial standpoint and will determine the best clubs for his game without the promise of an equipment contract.

"I'll start with what I want and play with what I want," he said. "If something comes from that, then it comes from that."

Duval also has a new caddie, Ron "Bambi" Levin, who worked for Todd Hamilton when he won the British Open in 2004. The McGladrey Classic will be the second tournament for the two.
Duval had been using Mitch Knox, the caddie with whom he won all 13 of his Tour events between 1997-2001.

Duval said he will play this week and the Frys.com Open in Las Vegas, then end his playing schedule for the season. He is currently 107th on the money list with $760,922, which should keep him within the top 125. There are four official-money events remaining.

I hope whatever he finds works for him. He is one of my favorites and I would love to see him win another tournament or two. I love when he gets in contention, but it just does not happen nearly enough.

This is one we spoke about last year as his contract was coming to an end. I dont think too many expected them to resign him based on his status. Someone will pick him up somewhere before next year I am certain. But lets face it, companies want to see competitors play on weekends. Unless of course they are buying counts...:alien:

DD is one of my favorites! It would be great to see him back in the top 10 where he belongs...he appears to be more focused then in the past so I hope to see him in the winners circle soon!

Sad to see someone let themself go like this. David I don't think its the equipment or the caddy bud, might have something to do with the 100+ pounds you put on.

It will be really weird to see him in anything other than Nike. I agree that he should go out and find what works for him and go from there.

well, i hope DD finds what he's looking for. it'd be nice to see him in the winner's circle again.

Sad to see someone let themself go like this. David I don't think its the equipment or the caddy bud, might have something to do with the 100+ pounds you put on.

Very sad but very true

He's been with Nike for 10 years, and he's been struglling for about 10 years. Hmmmm. Maybe some better clubs will revive his game. Something from a golf club manufacturer instead of a shoe company. I suggest Taylor Made.

Kevin

He's been with Nike for 10 years, and he's been struglling for about 10 years. Hmmmm. Maybe some better clubs will revive his game. Something from a golf club manufacturer instead of a shoe company. I suggest Taylor Made.

Kevin

Isnt Taylormade a shoe company too? They are owned by adidas. I would also say that Nikes clubs are designed by the guy that made what some people say were the best irons ever made (mizuno).

I think the issue was he ate the shoes and not the clubs he was playing.

Isnt Taylormade a shoe company too? They are owned by adidas. I would also say that Nikes clubs are designed by the guy that made what some people say were the best irons ever made (mizuno).

Didn't the clubs come before the shoe company? My post was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I have no love for Nike. Years ago when Stricker was an up and coming golfer, he switched from Titleist to I believe TM. His game went in the crapper and he completely lost his confidence. He became a player again after returning to his Titleist roots.

Of course rebuilding his swing in a trailer during the Cheeseland Winters may also have had something to do with it.

Kevin

Didn't the clubs come before the shoe company? My post was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I have no love for Nike. Years ago when Stricker was an up and coming golfer, he switched from Titleist to I believe TM. His game went in the crapper and he completely lost his confidence. He became a player again after returning to his Titleist roots.

Of course rebuilding his swing in a trailer during the Cheeseland Winters may also have had something to do with it.

Kevin

Taylormade clubs did come before the shoe company purchased them. And yes, Nike was a shoe company first, but this club maker was certainly not a cobbler first. He knows what he is doing...hehe

Taylormade clubs did come before the shoe company purchased them.

I knew that because I clearly remember reluctantly replacing my beautiful persimmon Louisville Golf driver, 3w, and 4w with these funny little grayish metal things made by a company name Taylormade. They were all the rage.

Kevin

huh??? Do Adidas shoes taste better than Nikes?? Maybe if he added a lil salt and pepper and then dunked them in ketchup??
or did I just totally miss the boat??

huh??? Do Adidas shoes taste better than Nikes?? Maybe if he added a lil salt and pepper and then dunked them in ketchup??
or did I just totally miss the boat??

Its a joke about the weight DD has put on since his arrival with Nike.

ahhhh I figured I missed something....
I thought you were trying to say hate and dropped the h..

oh well...

Does anybody else find this weird? Scratch is known for their wedges and yet Duval is playing Mizuno wedges and Duval is playing their irons. I would have guessed the other way around.

DUVAL, DAVID

SCRATCH (3-9)
DUVAL, DAVID

SCRATCH (PW)
MIZUNO (AW; MP T11; 50)
MIZUNO (SW; MP T11; 56)

Does anybody else find this weird? Scratch is known for their wedges and yet Duval is playing Mizuno wedges and Duval is playing their irons. I would have guessed the other way around.

DUVAL, DAVID

SCRATCH (3-9)
DUVAL, DAVID

SCRATCH (PW)
MIZUNO (AW; MP T11; 50)
MIZUNO (SW; MP T11; 56)

That is odd...I can't think of any reason he would do that other than he absolutely loves the Mizuno's?

At his level he could pretty much hit any brand and hit them well.

At his level he could pretty much hit any brand and hit them well.

Apparently he feels he hits some better than others. Since he has no sponsor and is picking these as of today.

Spinner Shafts baby!

DUVAL, DAVID

SCRATCH (3-9)
DUVAL, DAVID

SCRATCH (PW)
MIZUNO (AW; MP T11; 50)
MIZUNO (SW; MP T11; 56)

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Boy seeing Duval at the Frys makes you think those jokes a few threads ago about him gaining 100 pounds are not really that insane. I would bet given that the weight is spread over his height he put on 40-50 pounds anyway.

JB what does the DS say that Duval played this week?

JB what does the DS say that Duval played this week?

Only have the preliminary report. Will have the full report tomorrow.

Since I agree with the comment that at his level Duval could hit just about anything well I will throw one idea in here just for the fun of it. Maybe DD believes there is a chance that he can cut a deal with Scratch that would in his best interests and is doing his best to push that agenda along. By the way I don’t want to imply that there is anything wrong with that. Nor do I want to imply that I know anything about why DD might be doing what he is doing, just wondering like everybody else.

Looking at Scratch and Mizuno I would guess there is less chance of DD cutting a deal with Mizuno as they probably think their staff is in pretty good shape presently. So I would guess that he really does like the Mizuno wedges if he is playing them. Although I would not be surprised if he did not have them shafted to his very particular taste regardless of how good the Spinner shafts are. That said if he has kept the Spinners as well that says a good deal for the combination.

Back