hammerheel

Reaction score
Handicap
Need some advice. I am a student that is trying to decide between a laptop or iPad. I do a lot of writing, facebooking, and web surfing. My biggest worry is typing papers on the iPad so I'd like some insight on that. The iPad would be the 16 gb with wifi. My budget is $500. Thanks

I like tablets as I think they have their place. But if this is for your primary computer for school, I would strongly advise on getting a full featured computer.

I like tablets as I think they have their place. But if this is for your primary computer for school, I would strongly advise on getting a full featured computer.

Would it change your opinion if I told you I had a laptop to use if I had to use one?

Would it change your opinion if I told you I had a laptop to use if I had to use one?

No, not really. I have a tablet. The cool factor is great, but outside of that, they are far less functional than a full featured laptop.

I am on an iPad now, and I love it. But you need a computer as a hub. If this computer is going to be use for school and you can only afford one, buy a good laptop! There is really no debate. If you can afford both, an iPad is a great tool.

MacBook pro is super cool, and fully functional. I just got one and never looked back.

I'd agree with JB...go with the laptop if you're looking for a main computer. I've never used an iPad so I may not be the best to comment but i'd just think a real keyboard is better and i'd also think if you're going to be using it all the time (like i did in undergrad and still do now) it would stand up better to the wear and tear.

There is not question about it-- laptop. A great laptop with webcam, big drive, a lot of ram and a great screen can be had for about 500 nowadays. I would reccommend using stuff like Google Docs and Open Office if you are on a tight budget.

Laptop, no question.

Another vote for a laptop.

In case you missed it, go for the laptop. Although I'm sure the Ipad has some sort of outsourced keyboard option you can buy, the typing is a huge factor. Don't forget the delicacy an ipad has and for you travelling between home and school, it's not a good idea.

+1 on the laptop or a notebook if you need something smaller

+1 for laptop.

As I reply to this thread while being logged into my office (errrrrr), listening to Itunes and downloading a ISO of an app to burn to DVD before I go to bed all from the comfort of my easy chair. Or is that a Multi-task chair?

Lots of options in that price range.

Back