Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Hey chewie what would you say is the avg distance you are getting off that that driver? Better/worse/equal to your "normal" driver?

Thanks,
BulldogsGolf

Hey chewie what would you say is the avg distance you are getting off that that driver? Better/worse/equal to your "normal" driver?

Thanks,
BulldogsGolf

With the CG, I would say I am averaging about 250, where I was probably 230 - 240 with my Tour Burner. The CG is also 10.5*, verses the 9* that I had in my Tour Burner, so I am getting a little less sidespin, and when I miss the fairway now it is not near as bad.

Tappin' on my Blackberry

With the CG, I would say I am averaging about 250, where I was probably 230 - 240 with my Tour Burner. The CG is also 10.5*, verses the 9* that I had in my Tour Burner, so I am getting a little less sidespin, and when I miss the fairway now it is not near as bad.

Tappin' on my Blackberry

Thanks for the reply! Glad it's working out for ya

BDG

I finally got to hit one of these today. Unfortunately it was only the regular shaft. It was very smooth and had a much better feel than the Burner SF 2.0 and the Adams 9088. I will say with a nice tempo and a mid 90's swing speed I had a nice launch angle, spin rate, and decent carry right around 230. When I got it going a little faster, about 102, I had similar results as reported by many others and the radio show with a higher launch, spin rate about 5000, and a carry of about 200. I really want to get ahold of a stiff shaft model. Definitely feels like a game changer.

Nice update chewie. With the strikes being higher on the face do you see much of a difference in ball flight vs what you see on course?

Frank, good to hear you finally got to try one out. Hopefully a stiff flex will show up in Durham soon.

--
tapatalk

I had to stop at the Cary store today on the way home. They only had 2. This is getting difficult. Maybe I'll hit up Golfsmith soon.
Nice update chewie. With the strikes being higher on the face do you see much of a difference in ball flight vs what you see on course?

Frank, good to hear you finally got to try one out. Hopefully a stiff flex will show up in Durham soon.

--
tapatalk

Nice update Chewie, seems like your dialed in on the center hits, doesnt look like you miss toe to heel much at all. I hate mats as well, they screw everything up lol. Mine should be here friday but just checked the tracking and fedex once again botched something up so it wont be until next week, snow on the ground so it doesnt really matter but I really want this in hand hehe.

--
tapatalk

Funny - just stopped in the Cary store as well - I only saw one about 30 minutes ago.

--
tapatalk

With the higher strikes I definitely get a higher ball flight, and I seem to get a little more side spin.

Really tired so I will do my writeup tomorrow. Quick thoughts though I had a really bad day off the tee except for a few holes because I was really sore still. Still finding great distance even though I couldnt swing the club today. Seeing a nice fade instead of straight like it was but still was giving me playable shots all day.

Tomorrow morning I'll be getting my CG Black updated by Dennis and Blind9golf with the 25g WinnLITE Soft Midsize Hero. I like larger grips and this grip weighs the same as the stock Golf Pride. Looking forward to hitting with the midsize. I also think the camo grip will look phenomenal with the black sleekness of my B-1!

25g WinnLITE Soft Midsize Hero All proceeds go to the Troops First Foundation.
6ls-hero.png.normal.png

You know, I can't think of a better club for that grip. I actually think that is going to look pretty awesome.

I'll make sure to take a video and post!

Nice that will look good D, My JUMBO IOmic Sticky just came in for mine, dont think the weight will matter to much.

Nice that will look good D, My JUMBO IOmic Sticky just came in for mine, dont think the weight will matter to much.

Those grips look sweet! I've never heard of 'em. Looking forward to your update.

As for me, these crazy winds we're having in SoCal put this grip change on hold for a week - along with my updates since I'm not planning on taking my clubs up to the bay area on a quick trip.

Those grips look sweet! I've never heard of 'em. Looking forward to your update.

As for me, these crazy winds we're having in SoCal put this grip change on hold for a week - along with my updates since I'm not planning on taking my clubs up to the bay area on a quick trip.

regripit.com stocks the IOmic and Pure grips. Love me some IOmic grips, pricey but great. Tell Dennis and Patty I said hey when you go, havent talked to them for awhile. I cant wait to get this and get to the range, if the course is closed I plan on pounding my beat up game balls that are no longer playable just to hit it.

Test Date- November 31st 2011
Place- Kokopelli GC (front 9)
Weather- Sunny 75*
Ball used- Nike Mojo on all but #8 where I used a Taylormade Penta TP

Went to play a round with my buddy and his GF and had a ton of fun. I have been feeling sore on my right side and really struggled to swing the longer clubs today. 8-9-PW were putting shots within 10 feet all day but if I had to use a longer club I just couldn't swing it without feeling a pinch.

Hole 1- Shorter dogleg right par 5. After hitting a toe slice because I was rushed onto the tee I hit a great drive that was just a bit short of cutting the corner. Left me a shot that I hit to 4 feet off the green.
Hole 3-Dangerous hole to hit driver on because there is water all along left and then in front of the green so you cant be too long. I hit a light drive with a fade to 120 yards out and stuck a shot over the water to 4 feet but missed the putt.
Hole 4- Didn't aim for my fade and ended up taking a nasty bounce off a cart path that was right next to the fairway but came back into play. Put a 9 iron to 5 feet and sank for birdie still.
Hole 5-Longer par 4. Hit a perfect drive since I finally made a putt I was happy...Only went 200 yards I was really confused.
Hole 7-This is a hole I usually use my 3 hybrid on. It isnt long but its almost impossible to hold the fairway if you arent within the center area since everything feeds off the sides. Hit a fade that missed but gave me a playable shot that found the green.
Hole 8- Long par 5...Switched to a Penta and just crushed a ball dead center of the fairway with a slight fade. (Second shot hit a tree that was nowhere near my line lol)
Hole 9- Didn't use driver because it was a shorter hole and I didn't want to hit a 60* into the green since there isnt much room for error.

Overall I played terribly and was not to happy about it. The driver gave me playable shots with pretty decent distance (not as much as I had been seeing) but that could have been the ball. Hit 4/9 GIRs though which really surprised me considering I didn't feel like I was doing well off the tee.

Wanted to update again after today's round. Ratings in parenthesis are what my last review was rated.

Looks - A+ (same) - I think we all agree that this club just looks amazing. I love everything about it from the all black grip/shaft/club head to the black head cover.
Feel - A+ (same) - I still know exactly where my ball is going after I hit it based off what I feel in my hands. Very soft at impact but still is able to let you know when you crush a ball or hit it bad.
Sound - A (same) - Nothing changed here...so much better then the HiBore Monster XLS I used to play that would turn heads because it was so high pitched.

Distance - A (Was A+) - I wasn't sure if it was the driver or the ball but I was finding some serious distance loss during the round off the tee even on well struck shots. It did get better after I switched to the Penta but I don't know if that was my swing or the ball.

Control - B (Was A+)- I started with a terrible toe shot on #1 and then on #3 I came over the top of the ball and hit the hosel because I tee'd up too low. Couldn't get a straight ball all day the thing just wanted to fade on me.

Nice update cOncept, what kind of distance loss were you seeing?

Test Date: 12/1/11
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Titleist Yellow *Test* Ball
Environment: Mostly sunny, 35* at start of round
, Right ankle in brace

I played Woodmont GC this morning to try out the Titleist yellow test ball. By the time we got on the course around 10, it was probably 35 or 40*, with a nice breeze. My ankle was feeling really good to start the round, but started to go downhill and give me a few problems after getting out of a bunker on the back 9, but it is what it is.

Hole 1 - 505yd par 5 - nice fade about 230, one of the narrowest fairways on the course
Hole 2 - Par 3
Hole 3 - 393yd par 4 - hit a nice little draw about 220yds, so still had a 6 iron into the green
Hole 4 - 430yd par 4 - blasted it right down the middle about 250yds, but this is a long par 4
Hole 5 - 394yd par 4 - got a little loose on this one a pulled it right about 210yds. My short game saved me and I still got a par
Hole 6 - Par 3
Hole 7 - 366yd par 4 - right down the middle 240yds
Hole 8 - 450yd par 4 - little draw 240yds, and still had to hit 3 hybrid into the green
Hole 9 - 516yd par 5 - 230 yds slight fade
Hole 10 - 504yd par 5 - 245yds straight down the middle
Hole 11 - Par 3
Hole 12 - 370 par 4 - 210 yds down the middle. None of us seemed to get too much distance on this hole, so I have no answer
Hole 13 - Par 3
Hole 14 - 389 yd par 4 - 210 yds down the middle. My ankle was starting to limit my follow thru at this point, after climbing out of a bunker, but I was still hitting it straight.
Hole 15 - Par 3
Hole 16 - 546yd par 5 - 230 yds to the right, but it did not hurt me on this hole
Hole 17 - 370yd par 4 - 230 yds right down the middle. The ankle started to feel better again, so it helped with my follow thru
Hole 18 - 505yd par 5 - 240 yds down the middle

All in all it was a decent ball striking round. There was a little loss of distance, since I wasn't using my regular ball, and some of my drives that got away had a little more sidespin than normal that I have noticed with the test balls. I started out strong, and got a little loose in my driving on the back when my ankle got tweeked getting out of a bunker. I was very happy with the performance of the CG Black on a course I had never been too before, and will limit my rounds to 9 holes for the next couple weeks, with some range sesions, to let my ankle recover.

Tomorrow morning I'll be getting my CG Black updated by Dennis and Blind9golf with the 25g WinnLITE Soft Midsize Hero. I like larger grips and this grip weighs the same as the stock Golf Pride. Looking forward to hitting with the midsize. I also think the camo grip will look phenomenal with the black sleekness of my B-1!

25g WinnLITE Soft Midsize Hero All proceeds go to the Troops First Foundation.
6ls-hero.png.normal.png

I had that grip on my old driver and absolutley loved it.

Great update Chewie! I think its a good idea to limit yourself to 9 holes and let that ankle heal up, would hate to see you hurt it more. Man you guys are doing a good job in here.

Back