Hitting from Bad Lies

mhuelsman131

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Andy, want to start by saying thanks for all you do on the forum. I really enjoy reading your tips and have tried to put a few into play myself.

My question relates to hitting when the ball ends up in a bad lie, in a divot or depression for example. With the grass not fully growing up here in new england, anything off the fairway is pretty rough. I'm having trouble hitting any type of shot when the ball is settled down or has a clump of grass or dirt directly behind it. I find myself coming in way too steep to try and avoid hitting the turf first and my shots usually end up coming out low to the right and very short.

Do you have any advice on how to hit out of these situations and any drills I might be able to practice out on the range?

Thanks again for all your help!

Sounds to me like you have the basic ideas in place. To hit from this type of lie it is important to move the ball back just a little in your stance (1-1.5 inches). This will get your hands a bit farther in front of the ball. Place more weight into your front foot. This will help you get a steeper angle of attack without you forcing the issue. From here try to make a normal backswing keeping the low body as quiet as you can. From here swing down making sure to hit into the back of the ball and really trap it.

Drills for the range. Set up on the range and place a towel flat on the ground so the ball is about 1-2 inches infront of the towel. Practice hitting this shot and the goal here is to not hit the towel. Another great way to get this feel is hit some knock down shots on the range. This will get you the feel of the hands forward and ball first contact. Let me know if there is more I can do to help.

Thanks Andy! I dont think I had been moving the ball back in my stance at all when hitting these shots. I'll definitely give the towel drill a go at the range.

Back