Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Jman posted some alignment sticker thingamajig awhile back and I think after the MC I might try those. I've gotten used to it on the Black driver but the 3 wood is a different animal. it doesn't need to be much, even a thin white line would help a lot I think.

Yeah, you might want to be considering it a bit more off of those par 4's, but you mentioned in another thread that that simply isn't your style. Which if fine buddy. I think there's a whole lot of right with this 3wood. It's definitely becomming one of my favorite 3metals of all time. It's got sex appeal, it's easy to hit, it sounds good and it can provide some ridiculously long shots. I can still put a little right to left movement on mine, even with the draw biased to it, but it's very controlled, which is sweet. I find myself hitting it more and more to be honest with you.

The only think I would change about the club is some sort of alignment aid. I just prefer them.

I had a problem hitting this the other day off of the tee, or out of the fairway. I was suddenly hitting a big slice with it. It's got to be something going on in my swing, so I guess I just need to spend a little range time with it since I have been doing nothing but irons at the range for the last month or two.

Here you go SW! Subscribe to this sucker.

Everyone here knows I am a 3wood ho, always have been. It's pretty safe to say that this 3wood is in the bag for a WHILE!

Here you go SW! Subscribe to this sucker.

Everyone here knows I am a 3wood ho, always have been. It's pretty safe to say that this 3wood is in the bag for a WHILE!
Awesome stuff, TC! I hit SWs when I played with him down in Naples a few weeks ago and was bombing that sucker, even hit it well off the deck which is something that I have always struggled with in a 3W. You finding success with it of the tee and from the deck?

I said it in the Black Driver thread and I'll say it here.

I wish I hadn't started reading all this. I love my TF3 off the tee and that's the only reason I got it, to think the Black could serve that purpose better blows my freaking mind.

Awesome stuff, TC! I hit SWs when I played with him down in Naples a few weeks ago and was bombing that sucker, even hit it well off the deck which is something that I have always struggled with in a 3W. You finding success with it of the tee and from the deck?

Honestly War, I haven't even hit it off the deck yet. I don't go after par 5's in two often and typically only will if I'm 235 and in, and if I am, I'm hitting the F5 more often than not as I can trust it completely.

Off the tee, I freaking love it. It's so forgiving for a 3metal, and I play a very consistent little cut with it. I've had hit it along side my Classic on a couple of holes and had it literally be 10 yards behind the ball from the Classic. I think having a 16* 3wood is good for me. It offers a little more forgiveness and flight which can result in some wicked distance off the tee.

I wish I hadn't started reading all this. I love my TF3 off the tee and that's the only reason I got it, to think the Black could serve that purpose better blows my freaking mind.
The Black 3W is looong, seriously. It's a beast, and a nice progression on the FL line. I loved the Black 3W, but for me it came down to which do I hit better on a more consistent basis, and it was the F3, both off the deck and off the tee. Black was longer, but I was much more accurate with the Mashie.

Full disclosure Jman, I haven't hit my F3 in a month dude. I just don't care for it off the tee like i do this 3wood.

Based off TC's comment in the CG Black driver thread I am going to need to read through this one again. Anytime someone says a 3 wood is better than the FL my ears perk up.

The Black 3W is looong, seriously. It's a beast, and a nice progression on the FL line. I loved the Black 3W, but for me it came down to which do I hit better on a more consistent basis, and it was the F3, both off the deck and off the tee. Black was longer, but I was much more accurate with the Mashie.

Full disclosure Jman, I haven't hit my F3 in a month dude. I just don't care for it off the tee like i do this 3wood.

Ugh. I sense an experiment coming on soon. Time to sell some crap.

Based off TC's comment in the CG Black driver thread I am going to need to read through this one again. Anytime someone says a 3 wood is better than the FL my ears perk up.

They set up similarly, they sound similarly, but I see far less lateral movement out of the Black. I also think the Black is longer.

They set up similarly, they sound similarly, but I see far less lateral movement out of the Black. I also think the Black is longer.

I wish you were a righty dude. I love the way your bag is set up and I look forward to seeing it in person in a few weeks.

Ugh. I sense an experiment coming on soon. Time to sell some crap.
Yes! I love a good Jman experiment! I wont lie that I have been keeping an eye out for a used Black 3W for a while.

I wish you were a righty dude. I love the way your bag is set up and I look forward to seeing it in person in a few weeks.

Vice versa dude! I also wish I was a righty.

Oh dear God I don't. My "here try this combo out!" shipping bill every month would be ridiculous. lol

Oh dear God I don't. My "here try this combo out!" shipping bill every month would be ridiculous. lol

hahaha, again, vice versa. I guess maybe it's a weird blessing that I'm a lefty.

So, is the 16* Black longer than the 15* F3?

Physically or on the course?

On course, more appropriately off the tee as I'm not worried about off the deck really.

On course, more appropriately off the tee as I'm not worried about off the deck really.

I find the Black to be longer and straighter for me. Without a hesitation.

When I decided on this fairway hitting it off the deck wasn't even in the equation. I wanted a 3 wood I could take off the tee and have a little more control vs going driver all the time. On a whim I tried it off the deck after I snap hooked a drive into some water, plans were soon after changed forever. Quite a pleasure to hit from the deck and if the ball is sitting up in light rough I don't hesitate to go after it with the black. 9/10 times I'll use the F5/F7 in those situations but for me having a 3rd option is a bonus.

Off the tee is where I planned on using this one and it is a rocket launcher fo sho! Mid length par 4's are bread and butter for the black. On misses laterally I don't worry about the ball loosing a ton of distance or flying off the planet. Nice sound at impact and imposes your will onto a golf ball like no other.

Well, thanks gents. Maybe I'll find a good deal on a used 16* soon then, I'd love to get one to tinker around with it and see what is what.

Count me in on this statement.

I had a 50/50 day today with it, but I am just taking some odd feeling swings on the bad ones. I will get it figured out again, because I had been hitting this very well and consistently.

When I decided on this fairway hitting it off the deck wasn't even in the equation. I wanted a 3 wood I could take off the tee and have a little more control vs going driver all the time. On a whim I tried it off the deck after I snap hooked a drive into some water, plans were soon after changed forever. Quite a pleasure to hit from the deck and if the ball is sitting up in light rough I don't hesitate to go after it with the black. 9/10 times I'll use the F5/F7 in those situations but for me having a 3rd option is a bonus.

Off the tee is where I planned on using this one and it is a rocket launcher fo sho! Mid length par 4's are bread and butter for the black. On misses laterally I don't worry about the ball loosing a ton of distance or flying off the planet. Nice sound at impact and imposes your will onto a golf ball like no other.

awesome SW. with 2 Mashie hybrids in the bag, i rarely need to take this off the deck, but as long as i stay down on the ball...it's great from the short grass. i will agree that off the tee it's very accurate for me...but so is my CC310, so i don't really take this off the tee, unless driver isn't an option for the hole layout.
not staying down on it on the other hand....yikes. top city.

awesome SW. with 2 Mashie hybrids in the bag, i rarely need to take this off the deck, but as long as i stay down on the ball...it's great from the short grass. i will agree that off the tee it's very accurate for me...but so is my CC310, so i don't really take this off the tee, unless driver isn't an option for the hole layout.
not staying down on it on the other hand....yikes. top city.

Lol at top city, trust me I can top a ball like nobody you've ever seen, just ask around for stories. Like you I have a hard time taking less than driver off the tee but as I've started looking at my game closer the past few months I see places where it would behoove me to be 100-115 yards out vs being 60-80. Now once I get that thought through my thick skull and stop hitting driver on everything but a par 3 I think my scores will drop as a result. Biggsy gave me some good advice in that regard on Saturday, hopefully it sticks!

Back