Playing tomorrow and it looks to be a windy and wet day.

timmyak

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Do many of you still play in those conditions? What happens to your game and how does your thinking change? Looks like my low draw will be out in full force.

Do many of you still play in those conditions? What happens to your game and how does your thinking change? Looks like my low draw will be out in full force.

I play in these conditions, 8 months a year, so I don't know if my thinking changes as it is the norm. Ball first contact is a must, because if the fairways are soft and you hit behind the ball, you will have the fat shot of fat shots. In the wind I just take one more club into the wind and use 3/4 shots just keeping the ball down.

I used to but not anymore. If I'm going to go out for 4+ hours and complain about wet clubs, poor conditions and the wind then as much as I love they game there is probably something else I could be doing with my time.

I dont like to but i still do, a bad day at the course is better than any day of work or sitting around doing nothing. Also it can get really really frustrating playing in 40mph winds, hit a great shot and the wind just destroys it, i hit a hybrid from 160 early this year and didnt even make it to the green lol, thats usually my 7 iron distance, the wind just ate it up and spit it out

I can't stand when it gets gusting over 30 mph. I've hit drivers sometimes that get caught up and go about 200 yards. It will definitely be better than sitting around doing nothing all morning.

Windy yes (within reason) and wet, yes. Usually, I don't play in both of those conditions at the same time.

Im just sick of playing in the nasty wind...and the one round there wasnt any, I decided to hit toppers on the first 4 holes

Im just sick of playing in the nasty wind...and the one round there wasnt any, I decided to hit toppers on the first 4 holes

lol i know what ya mean, its been so windy this year so far, i dont understand why, feel like im playing in ireland lol. I have only been out 2 times this year when the wind has been under 15mph

I just add a stroke to par for any long par 4s or 3s where the wind will make it tough/impossible to reach, this takes away the urge to really go after it. Have had some of my better rounds playing in high wind which tells me I should probably use this strategy all the time regardless of weather.

I was going to play today, but tomorrow afternoon looks better, so I'll wait. I hate these conditions!

I was going to play today, but tomorrow afternoon looks better, so I'll wait. I hate these conditions!

I have an 830 tee time at Van Patten. I'm hoping it's good by then. I thought today was gonna be bad otherwise I would have played this morning.

I kinda like playing in these conditions , brings out a lot of creativity. good luck tomorrow Timmyak

As you can see this week from watching the tour event in San Antonio it is very windy here in TX and we deal with that almost every time out, with few exceptions. If players can't stand the wind here then they have to get out very early in the day, right at sun up, to avoid the worst of it. Afternoon wind can be brutal, constant 20mph and gusts to 30 or more. I would rather play in the wind than play early personally so I have gotten used to having to hit a 3 wood into the wind where I would normally hit maybe a 4 or even a 5 iron. Cold (below 50* F), windy AND wet are the absolute worst conditions and that is the day that I say 'maybe next week' unless I am committed to an event.

Back