Thread: Nike 20Xi vs ProV1 x 2011

Amateur around scratch No_Three_Jacks's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks

Nike 20Xi vs ProV1 x 2011

Okay so I went to my local Edwin Watts and bought a dozen of the new nike balls on the 29th to do my own ball test. I usually play the 2010 Pro V1x but I was given a sleeve of the new ball so I figured what a great chance to compare Titleist's and Nike's new ball. The test was 9 holes with the Nike 20Xi x and 9 with the Pro V1 x 2011. Please remember that this is a very small selection (only 18 holes total). And the first 9 was with the nike.

Driver Distance: I thought the Pro V1x was longer by 5 to 7 yards on average.

Driving Accuracy: The Nike was as advertised. Its a very high MOI ball which is great sometimes and not so good other times. The Nike is the more accurate ball though.

Full Iron Distance: This was dead even. Distance control with both balls is perfect. They are both very consistant.

Full Iron Accuracy: At my club we do a par 3 tournament every month. And the Nike 20Xi x is perfect for that tournament. Some times a missed the green right only because im use to drawing my irons in and the nike balls didnt draw like my normal ball. But once I realized that all I had to do is aim at the flag and fire, it made the last 5 or so holes very fun.

80 yd wedge Distance and Accuracy: The ProV1x is SO hard to beat in this catagory. And despite a great effort by the Nike, the ProV1x was better hands down. I thought the Pro V1x was more durable too. I usualll use a 59* rusted spin milled vokey on this shot and the Pro V1x held up a bit better.

Chip and Pitch: This is a tough call because one ball isnt really better than the other. It just depends on what you want. But.... if youre like me and throw spinners right at the hole and expect them to hop and stop then the Pro V1x is way better than the Nike 20Xi x. Now if you play more of a chip and run then the Nike 20Xi x is great because the distance control is very consistant. Dont get me wrong though, the Nike 20Xi x spins on chips. The spins isnt as drastic as the Pro V1x.

Putting: The Nike was a bit firmer but they both roll very much the same way.

Im not gonna say just yet that one ball was better than the other. I shot 36 w/ 3 birdies on the front with the Nike and 38 on the back with no birdies with the back being harder than the front.

Feel Free to ask any questions about either balls. I hit many different shots with both to compare. Ill probably play 2 or 3 more rounds with both before I declare which ball I feel to be the better ball. Hope this helps any of yall considering a change.

p.s. sorry for spelling errors. I tried to type this quick while it was fresh in my head.
    Driver.... Speedline Super LS 8.5* w/ 6m3.1 Black Tie
    3 Wood.. Rocketballz Tour 13* w/ Martix XCON 7
    5 Wood.. Rocketballz Tour 18* w/ Matrix XCON 7
    Hybrid... Mashie 20.5* Miyazaki C.Kua 59x
    Irons...... Burner 2.0 5-PW w/ DG S300
    Wedges.. CB3 50* Forged Copper 54.5* 59* all w/ DG Spinner
    Putter...... Select Newport 2.6
    Ball......... Hex Black Tour all 1's

Handicap
    TMEX 0.8!
    Thanks
    Great write up. Since you previously played the ProV1x, how do you feel this years ball compares to the previous ProV1x? Have you played other Nike balls? How does the 20XI compare to the previous Nike Tour offerings?
    In my Recoil Standbag
    Driver: Classic 10.5* w/ Black 72S
    Fairway: RBZ Tour 3W
    Hybrid: Mashie TM3
    Irons: i20 4-9 w/ C-Tapers
    Wedges: 46*, 50*, 54* & 58*
    Putter: GoLo S
    Ball: Hex Black Tour
    "Let your body support the swinging of the instrument." Jim Flick

Handicap
    Thanks
    Have you played the Nike One Tour before and if so how does the New Nike ball compare to that?
    Currently in the Tour II Cart Bag -
    Driver - R11 10.5* (Set to 10*)
    Fairway Wood - R11 3w 15.5* (Set to 15*)
    Hybrid - Rescue 11 4 (Set to 20*)
    Irons - VR Pro Combo 4-PW
    Wedges - VR Pro Black Oxide 52* & 56*
    Putter - Maranello Ghost TM-880

Amateur around scratch No_Three_Jacks's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    Great write up. Since you previously played the ProV1x, how do you feel this years ball compares to the previous ProV1x? Have you played other Nike balls? How does the 20XI compare to the previous Nike Tour offerings?

This years Pro V1x is more durable but I fell like it has a tendency to balloon more than the 2010. I went to the Zurich this past weekend and Fabian Gomez threw me his ball and it was a 2010 ProV1x and as of like a month ago Luke Donald still plays the 2005 ProV1. If you ask me the 2011 Pro V1x is just a lil more durable and has a different dimple design and alignment design. I'll probably switch from 2010 to 2011 eventually but not anytime soon. Now as far as previous Nike Tour offereings.... The 20Xi is noticably longer than the Nike Tour D and wayyyyy more durable. And way more accurate now that I think about it. I would play the Taylormade TP Black 2009 for 30.00 before Id play previous nike tour ball offerings, but thats changed with the 20Xi x.

Again, I know I probably didnt mention in the original write up all the different things ppl want to know. Reply with any questions.
    Driver.... Speedline Super LS 8.5* w/ 6m3.1 Black Tie
    3 Wood.. Rocketballz Tour 13* w/ Martix XCON 7
    5 Wood.. Rocketballz Tour 18* w/ Matrix XCON 7
    Hybrid... Mashie 20.5* Miyazaki C.Kua 59x
    Irons...... Burner 2.0 5-PW w/ DG S300
    Wedges.. CB3 50* Forged Copper 54.5* 59* all w/ DG Spinner
    Putter...... Select Newport 2.6
    Ball......... Hex Black Tour all 1's

Handicap
    Thanks
    I have played Nike balls since they have come out and am curious to see how this one performs

Handicap
    TMEX 0.8!
    Thanks
    Thanks N3Js. Just the info I was interested in!
    In my Recoil Standbag
    Driver: Classic 10.5* w/ Black 72S
    Fairway: RBZ Tour 3W
    Hybrid: Mashie TM3
    Irons: i20 4-9 w/ C-Tapers
    Wedges: 46*, 50*, 54* & 58*
    Putter: GoLo S
    Ball: Hex Black Tour
    "Let your body support the swinging of the instrument." Jim Flick