Fresh Easter Ham - Going in the Smoker

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
Bought a fresh Ham for Easter last week. Never smoked one; so figured its as good a Holiday as any to try.

A typical Ham comes from the hind/rear Leg of the Pig. A cured Ham typically sold in supermarkets is wet-cured and packed with water. Some up to 17%. It is cured for a period of weeks to months. Then lightly smoked. The cure is what gives it that natural pink color.

A fresh Ham has no water added - and is uncured.

I put mine in a brine for an 8 day bath.
The brine was:
2 cups Kosher Salt
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Onion, diced
6 Bay Leaves
1 TBS Coriander Seeds
1 TBS Mustard Seeds
1 TBS Fennel Seeds
1 TBS Allspice Berries
1 TBS Black Pepper

Here is a pic: Post Brine -Naked
naked.jpg

Then i rubbed it today: I will let it sit at room temperature so the chill from the bath is completely gone when i throw it on the smoker tonight.

Rub:
Hungarian Sweet Paprika
Smoked Paprika
Brown Sugar
Dry Mustard
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Thyme
Oregano

I eyeball amounts - and throw in a spice grinder till its nicely ground into a powder.

Lather the Meat up with some olive oil - and then "RUB" the spices in.

rubbed.jpg

I scored the skin in a crosshatch pattern and made sure to get some rub inbetween it.

Tonight: im throwing in the smoker for about 10 hours Im guessing. Aiming for internal temp of 155* by 11 am. We eat at 2 pm.
This is a 10 lb baby Ham, i saw a few 15 lb's but i didnt want to be up all night Sat.

Smoking with mostly HICKORY wood and some APPLE chunks.

Post some updated pics later.

Sleep at 2:30 am. First alarm 5:00 am. Started the smoker: Meat on 5:30 am
530amstart.jpg

5:30 am - Start

930mid.jpg

9:30 - Midway

1030smoker.jpg

10:30 - Almost done

hamdonefoil.jpg

Wrapping in foil - going into the cooler for a 30 min rest

hamdonecarving-1.jpg

Initial Carving

hamplatter.jpg

Carving Closeup

hamfinalpresentation.jpg

final dinner- with some cheesy grits, broccoli

strawsalad.jpg

Strawberry Salad with Mesclun Greens, Pickled Red Onions, Pine Nuts, Blueberries, Goat Cheese and a Strawberry-Vanilla & Poppy- Seed Vinaigrette.

Last edited:
CG, I'll see you in a few hours, I want some of that!!! Since it is a beautiful day and easter you have made me want to fire up the BBQ for the first time this year.

CG, I'll see you in a few hours, I want some of that!!! Since it is a beautiful day and easter you have made me want to fire up the BBQ for the first time this year.

Hah; I'm one of those diehards who cook on the grille in snow, rain, and pitch black outside lol

Hah; I'm one of those diehards who cook on the grille in snow, rain, and pitch black outside lol

I'd like to, and I've built an outdoor kitchen at my house but the winters here with the rain make it so misarable that I don't want to go and cook since it is uncovered.

Sounds delicious!
Unfortunately I'm the only one in my family who likes Smokey/BBQey stuff, so just your standard honey baked ham for me.

yummy!

You know the THP's in Ohio will be joining you to eat tomorrow. Sounds fantastic. Enjoy it.

You REALLY need to start inviting me to these things...

You REALLY need to start inviting me to these things...

hehe - tables full this time around - but we may have time for a BBQ this summer.

Are you kidding me!? That sounds great! It makes my honey baked ham seem trivial! Happy Easter everyone!

hmmmmmmmmmm good aunt bee! That kind of hambone will make ya slap your momma it's so good :hungry:

I really hate going into threads you start because it just leaves me drooling for the next couple of hours. Seriously, it always intrigues me and the food looks phenomenal. I wish I could smell through the internet.

I'm gonna go make some ramen noodles now.

Very nice cg!!
What kind of smoker do you have?
I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain bullet.
Best investment I ever made (except my new irons).
My wife loves it when spring/summer rolls around cause I'll be making most dinners out there on Friday-Sunday's.
I do fire it it up on Christmas Day as well for a standing Rib Roast.

Enjoy your ham and have a great Easter.

Sweet looking. Today is the first time we are having it smoked as well. 6 Hours on the Grill. Enjoy

Looks good CG hope smokin is going well , I love smokin and bbqing as well , Enjoy and have a good easter

Lemmiwinks:

I use a Big Green Egg. I absolutely love it. It holds a perfect temperature for hours, days if necessary. Ive had it at 225* since 5 am - but i just cranked it up to 300* since im not where i need to be to eat at 2:30 lol.

Ill throw some pics up tonight when i carve.

I also did a standing rib roast for xmas. First time on the smoker.

A buddy of mine has a BGE - that thing is great.
When I'm ready for a new one I'll probably get one.
My WSM does the job. Once I get it to the temp, it'll hold for awhile.
I usually do brisket and pork butts overnight and the temps drop maybe 10-15* at most while I'm sleeping.

We've been doing the Rib Roast for about 3 years.
Then only thing that sucks is theres never any leftovers of it.

first post updated with pics.

Ive had 3 smokers before this -the first was a gift from the parents circa 1970 water smoker. It was a god awful machine but enough to peak my interests into true BBQ and smoking.

The next was a cheap Weber that i never did figure out.

My 3rd i bought a larger Texas style offset smoker - and it was huge. Loved it as the level of control is amazing - but it was too large and not very maneuverable. So i moved it to our summer home in the catskills where it fits the bill perfectly. I can cook about 40 chicken quarters at a time on that thing lol

And my last purchase was the BGE. The ceramic body holds heat for hours. I can still feel how warm it is 2-3 days after smoking something. It can crank to 700* when i want to sear some nice steaks, or hold at 225* for perfect BBQ. If i ever get a house ill mount an extra large BGE in the deck.

Starting to look really good man, my mouth is watering a little bit.

That looks awesome cg! I have never smoked a fresh ham, but I may have to do that sometime soon!

I bet you it will taste even better than it looks!

Looks awesome. It's gonna be a good Easter Dinner at cg's it looks like.

You really should host a BBQ sometime this summer!

I just got my schedule for this month... I have a thursday and a monday off, though the thursday is kinda spoken for already. I'll let you know as soon as I can clear the date and we'll find a place to play down in cbus!

Happy Easter!

Nice! Fresh ham is the way to go, I hate that pink ham... has the consistency of whale blubber

mmm, cg13 that looks great buddy. I'd eat 1/2 of that sucker.

Great thread and nice ham there cg13. Happy Easter to everyone! Now I'm hungry.

Back