Classic clubs or new technology

dmgolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the market for some new irons..I found a set of Taylormade 300 forged set for an amazing price and the clubs are in amazing shape..My other choice is the Taylormade R9's..Question, am i giving something up going with a set thats 7 plus years old..I checked the specs and the lofts are maybe 1 to 2 degree difference, which can be adjusted?? Thanks

That's a good question. I know some very good, low single digit golfers, that play irons older than that. A couple of gents I play with play Ping Eye 2 irons that they purchased back in the 80s and still hit them superbly.

I think it all depends on how well you hit each one. Personally I know a few guys that have 5+ year old irons and every time they try a new set nothing seems to perform much if any better so I would say there is a distinct possibility that the older clubs could perform equal to if not better than some newer tech clubs.

Boy the eye 2's get a lotta' love everywhere. That club came out while I was dormant as far as golf goes and it is one of the sets i wish I had a chance to hit. I saw a set new that came up for sale lately and it got me pining for them all over again.

You guys are killing me I loved the eye 2's..and the flea has some green dots that are on sale..I have heard that you can send them back to Ping for refurbishing..need to verify this of course..Thanks for feedback though

Shaft technology has certainly changed by the ton, so you would want to get fit for whatever set you come out with. The TM 300 irons were created by a true legend and one of the best club designers of all time. They will be a timeless classic, but even the designer will be the first to tell you that weight and balance has changed a little bit in the last few years.

Shaft technology has certainly changed by the ton, so you would want to get fit for whatever set you come out with. The TM 300 irons were created by a true legend and one of the best club designers of all time. They will be a timeless classic, but even the designer will be the first to tell you that weight and balance has changed a little bit in the last few years.

Thanks for the feedback JB, insightful info I never considered..interesting point on the weight and balance..

My personal take on this is that if the clubs fit your swing then the age of them is irrelavant. You can hit the ball exactly the same with a 5 yr old iron as you can with a brand new iron. This is just my opinion

Back