Swing critique/suggestions needed (videos enclosed)

yahtzee

Novice
Reaction score
Playing since 2004 and have gone from a 22 to a 6.6 and currently at an 8.4. Weaknesses are.....my swing. Kidding...sorta.

- I have a tendency to roll wrists on takeaway
- this causes an over the top swing, especially with irons and I lose lots of distance with the high fades/slices
- I don't keep my head down (or body) through the swing...sometimes I hit it thin but most of the time I am just not getting the impact I need to score better.
- My grip just feels off...it's the number one thing I am thinking of during my swing. I can't seem to rest my right hand pinky in the slot...it's like it doesn't go there.
- I have a hard time releasing my hands during and after the swing....obviously, I never produce anything close to a draw.
- Lastly, my arms feel tense during my swing. Looking at the videos it's obvious that there doesn't appear to be much power contained within my swing.

My videos are of my grip, my swing from head on and my swing from behind me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm not the resident pro so I will keep it brief as he is far better equipped to help you than I am. I think you would benefit tremendously from some impact work to get extension in your follow through. I'll shut up now and let the real pro take over. I just wanted to comment to give your thread a bump and my small idea.

You swing a little like David Duval with out the extreme hang back. Know that the best in the world play a fade. Embrace it and playing, unless you want to play a draw.
I did freeze the front in view and noticed that tour head is up and down the target line when the club is in your right hip.
The fanning of the club at take away isn't responsible for you coming over the top. Tuck that right elbow on the down swing and you will operate on a more inside plane into the ball. But if you are releasing the club it may produce right to right shot if your set up for a draw. If you are setup for a fade then you should be dead red. This may also increase your power.

Well good news is you get through the ball fine. video cuts out unfortunately from the whole downswing.

3 things I see that are significant. Takeaway roll of wrist as you said really hurts as you immediately come off plane and now extension of left arm as thats already broken down from takeaway puts you at big disadvantage to attack ball.

You also don't get much extension through hitting area either which will rob power and accuracy. I'd like to see you keep the club away from body on takeaway and get more width meaning push your right hand out when at your shoulders that should be as far as you can go. Take a small ball place b/w arms and slowly swing that will get width as you'll drop ball if you can't keep arms together and get in sync with body.

I'd like to see the right hand more under club and also a better setup. back is rounded more straight and setup more square as you've got an open left foot and closed shoulder that again really doesn't give good foundation to turn on ball. You have no shoulder tilt whatsoever and that limits ability to come through ball. Above drills will help that. Takeaway is key.

hope that helps

This is meant to be left clean until the THP pro comments.

Tap before talk.

Lets start with the grip. It looks just a touch on the weak side. Meaning both of the "v's" point back to your nose. I want the V on the left hand going to the right ear and the V on the right hand parallel to the left. Next lets talk about the pinkie finger and where the grip sits in your hands. First your hands might be too small for the overlap grip. Have you tried an interlock? Placement of the hands. The grip with the left hand...should be in the fingers. Meaning that you need to place the back pad of your hand on top of the grip. You have this correct if you can take all your fingers off of the grip except the pointer finger and the club doesn't move. This grip leverages the club against the hand. Now when you place the right hand on I want it in the fingers again, and now use the 2 pads of the right hand to cover the thumb of your left hand.

This will be a big step in the right direction for you. Once that feels better we can start to look at the takeaway. For you I want your hands to feel like they don't move. Lock the hands in and turn the shoulders. For you I want it to feel like you keep the face of the club pointed at the ball in the take away. Work on this and let me know how things are going for you. I will get you some additional things to work on as you feel ready.

Lets start with the grip. It looks just a touch on the weak side. Meaning both of the "v's" point back to your nose. I want the V on the left hand going to the right ear and the V on the right hand parallel to the left. Next lets talk about the pinkie finger and where the grip sits in your hands. First your hands might be too small for the overlap grip. Have you tried an interlock? Placement of the hands. The grip with the left hand...should be in the fingers. Meaning that you need to place the back pad of your hand on top of the grip. You have this correct if you can take all your fingers off of the grip except the pointer finger and the club doesn't move. This grip leverages the club against the hand. Now when you place the right hand on I want it in the fingers again, and now use the 2 pads of the right hand to cover the thumb of your left hand.

This will be a big step in the right direction for you. Once that feels better we can start to look at the takeaway. For you I want your hands to feel like they don't move. Lock the hands in and turn the shoulders. For you I want it to feel like you keep the face of the club pointed at the ball in the take away. Work on this and let me know how things are going for you. I will get you some additional things to work on as you feel ready.

Good info on my grip, thanks....Although I actually have quite large hands...usually an XL or XXL glove depending on manufacturer. I picked up the TourStriker two days ago and tried the interlock with it. Ironically, I wore two blisters on the right of my left index finger at the middle knuckle and on the left of my right ring finger at the first knuckle. First time EVER that I have had two blisters (or one for that matter) actually occur during any golf. I will work on this tomorrow and let you know how it works.....assuming my blisters have healed.. thanks.

Back