Callaway Big Bertha Metal Woods - Throwback Thursday 10/28/10

Does anybody else think this was the most cloned and copied club ever?

I would say they are second only to the Anser style putter in my opinion.

More than that, wasn't this really the club that introduced the idea of cloning?

You might be right.

Almost without a doubt, not only was it the most copied club ever it completely revolutionized the industry and forever changed the game of golf in my opinion. This is the club that started it all.

Definitely.

I would say they are second only to the Anser style putter in my opinion.

I was referring to more about clone clubs such as the big brother, large marge, etc...The clubs that looked exactly the same, but were just knockoffs.

The clubs that looked exactly the same, but were just knockoffs
I don't see too many knock offs anymore, are they still doing it as much? Were/are the knock offs as good as the real deal? I've never played a knock off myself so I'm just curious.

I don't see too many knock offs anymore, are they still doing it as much? Were/are the knock offs as good as the real deal? I've never played a knock off myself so I'm just curious.

In my experience, some were decent, but many were just complete garbage. I remember the Burner was HUGELY cloned, as was the King Cobra. I believe it was Cobra that went after King Snake with the logo issues. I remember my Rident that was a Warbird clone.

There is DEFINITELY still a big market, but not like it was back then.

I still have a Great Big Bertha that I will put into play when ever I start having trouble hitting the sweet spot consistently. Its a good solid stick that unlike todays drivers can be hit off the deck fairly easily on those long par 5's.

Great point, these were one of the few large headed styles I could pick the ball off the deck with.

Even though my Large Marge was a clone, I actually preferred it to my Bertha. The weighting was different and had a different sound, almost like a deep cg. I had trouble keeping the Bertha straight.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I still have mine in 9* loft with a steel shaft. I remember the day I purchased that thing from my local pro shop. Dang that was a long time ago.... I might take mine out this weekend to see if I can still hit it... LOL!

You might be right.

Definitely.

I was referring to more about clone clubs such as the big brother, large marge, etc...The clubs that looked exactly the same, but were just knockoffs.

Ahh! Then absolutely.

I just can't believe it was only 190cc. The SuperFast 3 wood is bigger than that driver!! We have sure come a long way since then.

I just can't believe it was only 190cc. The SuperFast 3 wood is bigger than that driver!! We have sure come a long way since then.

You should see it next to an old persimon, lol. I have a picture some where of my oldest drive next to my Boom Boom and Large Marge. I'll try to find it.

You should see it next to an old persimon, lol. I have a picture some where of my oldest drive next to my Boom Boom and Large Marge. I'll try to find it.

I have seen the old "wood" woods and they too blow my mind. How anyone could play them it beyond me. Just goes to show the talent of the golf pioneers. Just think what they could do with todays technology.

man, these things were the best around...haha, when I got rid of my Burner I stepped up to a big bertha.

In my experience, some were decent, but many were just complete garbage. I remember the Burner was HUGELY cloned, as was the King Cobra. I believe it was Cobra that went after King Snake with the logo issues. I remember my Rident that was a Warbird clone.

There is DEFINITELY still a big market, but not like it was back then.

It WAS Cobra that went after whoever created the "King Snake" clubs. I had a set of King Snake woods (1, 3, 5 and 7) and irons (3-PW, SW) for a long time. They were decent clubs, but the paint in the cavities of the irons was cheap and rubbed off after a few years of washing. I sold them on eBay with no problem.

Another great throwback Thursday. I wanted one of these bad.

I had a big bertha warbird forever! Great line of clubs.

Is this the driver that changed metal woods forever?

Is this the driver that changed metal woods forever?

Probably. I had one. Never hit it well. Wasn't the shaft known as the Memphis Ten or 10? Not regular, not stiff. I had had it a while but kept going back to a persimmon or to the little gray TM driver I had because I could not figure it out. I remember playing with a lefty friend of mine who is kind of a weak hitter. He tried it two or three times during a round and loved it. In the parking lot after the round I gave the damn thing to him.

Kevin

Tomorrow is Throwback Thursday again and we have something VERY SPECIAL for everybody.

Tomorrow is Throwback Thursday again and we have something VERY SPECIAL for everybody.

sweet, I love these

Looking forward to it!

When we did the Cleveland VAS, that was fairly unique. THose were the ORIGINAL pages from the actual catalog and release of those irons. Not easy to track down obviously. That was before the days of media files filled with jpgs.

Well tomorrow, we have one that has the ORIGINAL sales file for something that was WAY before those. Going back over 20 years for this one and GG tracked down the original sales catalog and scanned the pages. This is a throwback for me, because I used what is coming up tomorrow.

AWESOME STUFF!

When we did the Cleveland VAS, that was fairly unique. THose were the ORIGINAL pages from the actual catalog and release of those irons. Not easy to track down obviously. That was before the days of media files filled with jpgs.

Well tomorrow, we have one that has the ORIGINAL sales file for something that was WAY before those. Going back over 20 years for this one and GG tracked down the original sales catalog and scanned the pages. This is a throwback for me, because I used what is coming up tomorrow.

AWESOME STUFF!

That is very very cool, good work GG!

Throwback Thursday is quality stuff. My favorite day at THP. I like these regularly scheduled posts.

Back