Coccaro Golf Club, Fassano Italy

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
Coccaro Golf Club, Fassano Italy

This has been my ‘home course’ for the last 6 months or so and even though it’s only a par 3 it deserves a review as it is one of the best facilities in the region.

The Coccaro Golf course is located about 30 minutes drive north of Brindisi. In fact it is just up the road a bit from the Championship course at San Dommico. The land is craggy with sharp cliffs surrounded by groves of olive trees, some of which are over 500 years old. The holes located at the top of the little cliffs have wonderful views of the Mediterranean. Wind can play a big factor here, but not as much as with the Accaya course I reviewed in another thread. There are enough sheltered tee’s and greens to keep at least half of your round out of the wind.

The 9 holes are split into 3 in terms of length. Three over 170 yards, three about 140 yards and three about 110 yards. There are red and white tees and enough of a club difference between them that you can rotate and make up a nice 18 hole game. With the wind in play I have hit the green on one of those 170 yards holes with a 7 wood and with a 6 iron.

For a par 3, this course is incredibly well maintained. There are nice fairway approach areas and two levels of very fluffy rough. The greens are the best kept of any in the region. Better than Accaya for sure. And I am told by those who have played that they are better than San Domminico as well. Fast, multi-leveled, raised and usually well protected. You better be accurate here as each hole presents a variety of dangers.

1 has a short cliff dropping away all along the left and behind the green. Miss there and it’s a lost ball. Come up short and you are in the sand.

2 is long hole with a very small island green. Lots of water balls here. I have seen plenty of people lay up.

3 presents you will more cliff drops and is surrounded by beautifully groomed sand traps.
IMG_2041.jpg
Sea view from the green on #3​

4 is uphill with a cliff dropping away to the right and water on the left.

5 is a wonderful hole where you tee off from the edge of a 20 foot cliff, shooting over a little valley and onto a green 20 feet up on a cliff top on the other side. Come up short on that one and you need your 70* wedge!​

IMG_2042.jpg

Looking back at the tee box on #5

6 is a long hole exposed to the wind- with a cliff dropping away to the left, a country road to the right and sand in front.

7 is the featured hole. Down in a valley 170 yards framed with 300 year old olive trees.​

IMG_2043.jpg

300+ year old olive trees framing the hole. Nice.

8 has water and sand in play.

9 is the only safe shot.​

Practice facilities are also very good here. Besides the putting area, there is also a very well designed chipping green with plenty of sand and fluffy rough to challenge you. The driving range is kind of strange in that there are olive trees scattered throughout it. You can’t cut them down by law after they reach 200 years of age, so they just put the range around them. You can practice accuracy and distance, or find your drives bouncing off olive trees.

Finally something needs to be said about the clubhouse-resort. Its set up in what used to be a traditional country house. There are two wings of rooms a fantastic restaurant and a wonderful swimming pool surrounded by gardens. I sometimes come with my wife and son. They play by the pool while I play on the course. Then we have lunch. Everyone’s happy. All in all this is really a great place to stay if you are ever in Southern Italy.

IMG_2045.jpg

Club house and putting green.

A round is 23 Euro and includes enough tokens for a good session at the range. You can buy packages as well than bring the price down to 20. Its not usually busy at all, but occasionally the whole place is booked for a weekend wedding group. The location, 5 minutes from San Dommico and maybe 30 minutes from the 2 courses near Bari makes it an ideal location. Plus there is plenty to see in the area for a family vacation.

Highly recommended!

http://www.masseriatorrecoccaro.com/en/golf/coccaro-golf-club-044.html

Thanks TS, that course looks like a lot of fun! One of theses I need tomake a trip out of the states.

Dude, that's awesome! What a gorgeous looking executive course. I love the view of those trees on #7. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Neat thread. Thanks!

Dude, that's awesome! What a gorgeous looking executive course. I love the view of those trees on #7. Thanks for sharing buddy.

If the season is right, you can pick up a handfull of fresh olives as you walk down to the green...

IMG_2043e.jpg

They have a pro shop, but I have never seen it open so I am not sure. I am playing one last time before I move so I'll ask. But if you are going I can put you in touch with a guy who I know has a spare set. Boeing has a center here, so there are quite a few Americans around. I can give you some great places to visit as well. Lecce, Ostuni, Martina Franca, Alberobello- there is lots to see.

Back