Little Wedge Project

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So my year old Cleveland CG15s are going to go for a little makeover. They have been good to me for a year or so and it was time for replacement. Here is what they looked like after a full year of use.

1024806447_FNbGP-L.jpg

The plan is to take redo the heads into a finish I would like that looks fairly new. Then do a new paint fill. Not sure from there.

First step, pop the heads off the shafts.

ad415588-d742-de5e.jpg

• Admin
Now we have to remove the finish. I am using coke, and it works great. Most use CLR and if you have that available, I would recommend that. Leave it in for a few hours. Or preferably overnight.

ad415588-e11b-38f2.jpg

• Admin
From there some gentle rubbing and the finish disappears bringing the wedge to its raw state.

Pictures will come soon as well as the rest of the process as I do it.

great idea for a thread! Cant wait to see the outcome.

This is gonna be good!

What was the Cleveland wedge's original finish?

Glad to see this thread. I did a diy finish a year or so ago and can't find the exact directions to do it again. I can't wait to see the results.

• Admin
Cool project! Can't wait to see more pics as the project progresses.

cool, can't wait to see where this all leads.

This should be quite interesting....any video of this project?

This should be quite interesting....any video of this project?

Not of this one, but we will have some very cool videos in this section coming up soon.

Pulled with your new shaft puller? I also can't wait to see more.

Great, this will be interesting. Isn't it neat what that coke can do, haha. Its a wonder I have a stomach left, yet glad I don't consume any more.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Pretty cool. Hope they turn out good.

Are you going to "Vibrantize" these?

The wedges will come out tomorrow morning and I will take some pictures of the raw finish.

JB -- I am impressed dude :golf2:! Media guru, equipment expert, single digit capper, & now equipment repair/customized tech type person.

JB -- I am impressed dude :golf2:! Media guru, equipment expert, single digit capper, & now equipment repair/customized tech type person.

Thanks Gray. I have always liked to tinker here and there. Looking forward to getting a shop set back up in the new THP HQ.

Still deciding what I am going to do with these after I smooth out some of the rough edges. Either gun blue or torching I am thinking. Then a new paint fill.

Torch em then do some white paintfill, matte black shafts, white grips....boom!

Thanks Gray. I have always liked to tinker here and there. Looking forward to getting a shop set back up in the new THP HQ.

Still deciding what I am going to do with these after I smooth out some of the rough edges. Either gun blue or torching I am thinking. Then a new paint fill.

This is very cool. You sure did put some rounds on those wedges to. I play a lot of golf but I cant say I've had wedges look like that after only a year. But then again it could be just because they're dirty.

This is very cool. You sure did put some rounds on those wedges to. I play a lot of golf but I cant say I've had wedges look like that after only a year. But then again it could be just because they're dirty.

They are dirty, and of course the oil quench plays a role in that. It comes off and wears raw. So you have a mixture of oil quench finish, rust, and raw. Looks more worn than they are by design.

Like others have said this is a very nteresting thread and I will be checking back to watch the progress.

Back