So I Went To Golfsmith Yesterday...

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
This was my first visit to GS and I was pretty excited to see what they had, as well as what they could do. My main interest was to try out a bunch of different Miyazaki shafts to make sure the one I have, (still untipped and ungripped), was the right one for me before proceeding with the setup. To my dismay GS had no Miyazaki shafts. However, this was a classic visit. I got to meet "The Worlds Most Knowledgeable Salesman".

I'll call him Tim, I hate using real names here, lol. When Tim was called to my aid he entered the scene very animated, smiling and talking 100 words a minute. After explaining why I was there he immediately informed me that he worked on the side as a tester or something for a shaft company called Excalibur and that they had better shafts than any other company including, while he touched my Miyazaki, these boy's. At this point I just tell him, hey man I already have this right or wrong so lets proceed with this inferior shaft, lol.

Looking a bit crushed that I shut down his sales pitch, we proceed over to the fitting counter where I tell him I'm looking for R9 tips and the works to tip this dude myself. Here's where I go through several minutes of hearing how I'm too stupid to do it myself. Liz was along and seeing my blood boiling mentioned that maybe we could let him just do this one being its such an expensive stick, I could practice on the old original shaft. Ok, I can buy that, especially if it keeps me from dragging this idiot by his right ear out to the ally. but, while looking for the grip I wanted, he tried to tell me which grip to get. One look and he walked away, hahaha.

Liz and I go have lunch and come back, wait a little while and the shaft is finally done. We walk back to the balls and are looking at the Srixon yellows when guess who shows up? "Oh, you should try these", lol. I never even looked, I said nope got what we want, but thanks. "Well what kind of ball do you generally prefer"? and like a dumba@# I say a spiny ball. He picks up the D2 balls and said these are about as spiny as you can get. My comment was, "Oh?" "What about the Penta or Bridgestone RXS ball"? He say's they don't hold a candle.

We pay and leave with Liz pushing me, hahaha. What a trip. I'm not saying the guy was not smarter than I in all of this, I simply cannot be in a room with a know it all. The hair on the back of my neck stands straight out, I start seething and just want to grab him, but I think I did very well with it this time. Actually kind of proud of myself, lol.

Wow, that is an interesting one Duey. I mean we have a high end tour quality shaft and he is going to say that it does not stack up to an Excalibur. Now this is the same shaft that another member was told was going to be put into TW's driver as well. What water are they drinking? Excalibur is a fine shaft, but for my money does not hold a candle in quality to that of Miyazaki or many other tour level shafts. Heck, the composite makeup alone says that.

But the D2 sums it all up. Interesting Golfsmith for sure.

Seeing as how I have a couple sleeves of the V2 Gamer in my bag and I just compared them head to head with Zstar and penta I can tell you that while they are spinny... they are NOT near as spinny as those two balls. Nor do they have the same durability (even compared to the penta).

Sorry to hear all of that duey. I usually just say "I am just looking- if I have any questions I'll let you know"

It was a pretty funny time all in all and I would go back just for the selection, but would do as Gus said and "Just looking". I think the part that gets under my skin with people like that is hearing how dumb I am. I was laughing it off to Liz until he tell's me I'm not qualified to do this myself. But wanting to play it today while testing the yellow E6, I went with it.

for a 30 something handicapper knucklehead DYI'er like me he might have been giving some sound advice.
I usually don't pay any attention to them though and steer the conversation in the path I intend to follow.
I know what I want but I could be wrong as all get out with those decisions.

I really hate this in a golf shop. If I want your help, I'll ask for it. And when I want your advise, I want your honest advise, not what the companies pay you to say. Don't lie to me, it just makes me not want to come back to your golf shop.

Here's a couple pictures of the final product. He actually did a solid job and something that seemed kind of funny that JB will love, lol. While telling me how talented he was and I was not, he said "when you are in the high tech world like I am, you would want this shaft Flowed". So I said do It! He tells me they don't do it there, but wait... he puts the grip end into a special little vise, attaches a weight to the tip end and bounces it to find the flow. No biggy, I've seen this before, but he made it out to be the greatest thing ever done and asked if I wanted it tipped based on this? I said "I can't, you guy's don't do that" lol. He did...notice the Miyazaki is on the side rather than down the middle. The grip logo is down the middle.

P1030365.jpg

P1030362.jpg

You never know what kind of help you will receive when walking into a Golfsmith. You're over enthusiastic guy will probably be OK after he figures out there's a lot of customers out there that know more then he does. It's a learning process. It's great he has love for the game. On the other end of the spectrum we have a guy in the Golfsmith in Roseville MN that acts like he would rather be at home watching soap operas or the Shopping Network.

Oy vey! Imagine the poor souls who wander in there and take his word as gospel. The fact that he doesn't know the difference between a D2 and a Penta is scary...never mind his "knowledge" of shafts.

An aside: the Xcalibur shafts are made by Arthur Xtreme Engineering and designed by Robin Arthur, who was director of R&D at Grafalloy for a number of years. I've only seen these shafts at Golfworks.com. You can also get Miyazaki shafts there. LOL

Last edited:
IMO, shafts and stuff are confusing enough without a knucklehead like this guy spewing his stuff to you. I give you credit Duey, you have more patience than I do my friend, of course maybe it was Liz and not you at all. What a goofball!!

If nothing elses Duey the driver looks sick! I love the designs on the Miyazaki shafts and the grip goes perfect with it.
And I don't get the D2 recommendation... unless Tim = Kenny Mayne...

That's just a laugh it off type experience Duey. It's hard to imagine but unfortunately this happens in a ton of retail stores where "expert" advice could be warranted (first thing I can think about are consumer electronic stores). It's good to have the internet where research really can help with walking to a B&M. Most of the times I'll just give them the "just looking" line or if they continue to pursue then I'll drop knowledge on what I know to confuse them.

Yeah, this guy was just so stuck on himself that I doubt most people can get a word in edgewise. Liz is pretty good at reading my thoughts and kept touching my back to say he's not worth it, haha. At one point, during the initial glove part, he actually made a comment about the grip size needing to be standard and I agreed, but he added something about better players with small hand still needing a larger grip. I asked just how bad a player he thought I was and he say's "oh I bet your solid", haha. The guy just thrives on making others think he's something special.

He did a great job on the shaft so I can blow off the rest.

...It's hard to imagine but unfortunately this happens in a ton of retail stores where "expert" advice could be warranted (first thing I can think about are consumer electronic stores)...
I had to laugh as I was reading the OP...I'm also a guitarist, and his post sounded very similar to many "Guitar Center" threads on those boards! (for those who don't know, Guitar Center is a "big box" guitar store - often with the same type of sales staff mentioned in the OP).

I had to laugh as I was reading the OP...I'm also a guitarist, and his post sounded very similar to many "Guitar Center" threads on those boards! (for those who don't know, Guitar Center is a "big box" guitar store - often with the same type of sales staff mentioned in the OP).

Hell, no doubt this guy can do that pretty well too, haha

lol thedue - im with you - i hate when someone acts like they know everything and whomever they are speaking too is an imbecile. oh well - thats life.

Question for ya - what does flowed mean? you meantioned it had to do with the grip or something? Just curious. AHH i cant wait for demo day so i can pick out my miyazaki lol - the Golfsmiths here dont have them either.

lol thedue - im with you - i hate when someone acts like they know everything and whomever they are speaking too is an imbecile. oh well - thats life.

Question for ya - what does flowed mean? you meantioned it had to do with the grip or something? Just curious. AHH i cant wait for demo day so i can pick out my miyazaki lol - the Golfsmiths here dont have them either.

You hear different terms for it, but they also call it spineing as well as other terms. They say every shaft has a spine and to bend completely true you need to find this bend so the head will snap back through straight rather than slightly side ways. I'm not totally convinced that it makes a hill of beans, but many swear by it. Once the bend point is found they set the head to utilize it. The grip goes on later and is simply down the middle of the shaft, where ever it comes out. Hope that makes sense.

Hey Duey, I can't see your pics on this PC (PB is blocked). What Miyazaki did you end up with?

Hey Duey, I can't see your pics on this PC (PB is blocked). What Miyazaki did you end up with?

I went with the Kusala 61R 4433. I was afraid it might be a little light, but seems about right for my slower swing speed.

Is that the Silver? I think you have the same exact one that I do.

Is that the Silver? I think you have the same exact one that I do.

Oh, sorry Hawk, it's the blue. I should have posted that. I didn't get to hit a bunch of different ones, so just went blue. It was pretty, lol. How are you liking that silver?

You hear different terms for it, but they also call it spineing as well as other terms. They say every shaft has a spine and to bend completely true you need to find this bend so the head will snap back through straight rather than slightly side ways. I'm not totally convinced that it makes a hill of beans, but many swear by it. Once the bend point is found they set the head to utilize it. The grip goes on later and is simply down the middle of the shaft, where ever it comes out. Hope that makes sense.

yep...I think GS refers to it as Pureing
I think it works at least from my meager expierience with irons and drivers that were spline alligned

Love it! My long game is no longer my weakness :) Let us know how it works for you.

yep...I think GS refers to it as Pureing
I think it works at least from my meager expierience with irons and drivers that were spline alligned

I'm glad it works for you. I don't know how I could really tell without pulling an old shaft, having it done and then seeing if the ball did something different. They did this new driver and I was pretty content with the distance and straightness, but that may have been the ball or even just the shaft in general. Or, maybe I was just doing well that day, I'm just not sure yet.

Love it! My long game is no longer my weakness :) Let us know how it works for you.

That's great man. I was pretty pumped at the results from mine, so far. Distance was right there with the old shaft or a bit longer on a very cold windy day. What really got me was how my misses were all pretty close to good shots and still long. Wish it was 85* again, haha

Not saying the guy knows his stuff.. but dont fret the shaft alignment, when I got my Pro Launch for my R9 I had em pured/frequencey match it to the Neutral position & the label is on the bottom, about the 6:30 postion.

Back