Function Meets Art - My Nead Custom Putter

Here's a bump to show all the pictures have been edited to larger form. No more squinting, haha.

Duey - You lucky dog... that putter is sick!

gnead - Thanks for being apart of the forum and participating. It is a very unique opportunity for us here at THP to be able to talk to people in a position like yours.

Wow! That putter demonstrates such extraordinary craftsmanship, precision, and art. It's amazing to me when people possess that kind of knowledge and talent. Go, Gene! And go, Due, for recognizing and taking advantage of the opportunity Gene presents.

I only wish that my putting were such that I felt I could take advantage of such an awe-inspiring instrument.

Kim

Duey - You lucky dog... that putter is sick!

gnead - Thanks for being apart of the forum and participating. It is a very unique opportunity for us here at THP to be able to talk to people in a position like yours.

Thanks couldbeu, the putter sitting on the balance cone is what's coming to me, hehe. Gene still has some plating and black ox work, along with numerous other special tweaks, but should see it soon. It's a bit different from the one I bought from you, but I still love my Slotline as well.

Wow! That putter demonstrates such extraordinary craftsmanship, precision, and art. It's amazing to me when people possess that kind of knowledge and talent. Go, Gene! And go, Due, for recognizing and taking advantage of the opportunity Gene presents.

I only wish that my putting were such that I felt I could take advantage of such an awe-inspiring instrument.

Kim

Thanks Kim, but thats the beauty of something like this. You would never believe how reasonable Gene's prices are. Around $300 will get you something very close to this, although I had a few extras added. But, Gene does not charge for a ton of options like some special millings. I'm not a great putter, I just love putters, haha.

The cone has a flat of .090 to balance the putter on while he marks the sweet spot. Can you imagine spending $2000 or more for a putter with the sweet spot off by 3/16 of an inch?

I can't imagine spending 2 g's on a putter so I guess I'll never have to worry where they put the alignment mark on one of those.

I can't imagine spending 2 g's on a putter so I guess I'll never have to worry where they put the alignment mark on one of those.

Good point Jefffann, but I never say never. I WILL win the lotto one day, most likely when I'm too old to enjoy it.

I may have to do this test on my other putters though. Wouldn't it have a tendency to send the ball high or low missing the true center, (CG)?

More like left or right, they key here is you would be very surprised at the putters that are machined based on a look instead of getting the balance point correct.
I have had a few debates with fellow putter makers about this and some people feel like the average golfer can not hit the sweet spot every time so it is no big deal.
I really do not think that is a good way to build putters myself but I do know for sure that Mills, Morgan and Tad Moore do it the same way I do, most of the others including some very big names not so much.

Gene

More like left or right, they key here is you would be very surprised at the putters that are machined based on a look instead of getting the balance point correct.
I have had a few debates with fellow putter makers about this and some people feel like the average golfer can not hit the sweet spot every time so it is no big deal.
I really do not think that is a good way to build putters myself but I do know for sure that Mills, Morgan and Tad Moore do it the same way I do, most of the others including some very big names not so much.

Gene

Thanks for the info Gene, it's nice to know that a few of you are concerned with the day to day golfer who actually spends their money on the product they buy, unlike the pro who gets paid much of the time to play a name brand. That makes me wonder if those other putter makers go way beyond their norm in setting up a putter for the pro who will use their product?

I just got off the course where I missed a bunch of mid length putts that just burnt the edge. I Nead to check the sweet spot on the one I used today.

For the next installment and your viewing pleasure, hehe, I'll add a few more pictures from Gene that have the putter really showing some headway.

Here he rough ground the shape of the flange and top line, then polished out the big scratches.
Picture008.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture010.jpg

The Gene cut the flats on the neck and cut to length and tack weld it on, then welded it up. The shaft looks very squre here, but it won't stay that way, lol. Check out the welds Gene can pull off, a true artist at work.

Picture018.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Does it look like we are making some headway? The next set will really show where this is going.

Best welds in the business Gene. I'm going to break down and get one over the winter.

A few of the polished product. It won't stay like this, but looks pretty neat at this point.

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Can't see your pics on this comp, Due, but I'll be looking at them tonight. Very jealous of you right now :)

due that looks amazing.

Thats awesome Duey!!!

Best welds in the business Gene. I'm going to break down and get one over the winter.

You and me both!

Awesome Duey, good good stuff to be sure!

Can't see your pics on this comp, Due, but I'll be looking at them tonight. Very jealous of you right now :)

due that looks amazing.

Thanks guy's, I scream like a little girl every time he sends more pictures, haha. To me, these are really cool. That old chunk of metal is slowly turning into a swan.

:drool: I loooooove that polish...think I just found a winner

phenomenal bead welding. it's something that is incredibly difficult to do well. looks good so far duey, can't wait for more pics!

Thanks for the replies everyone, Gene works hard to make a great looking putter as well as one that performs super well. I know he appreciates all the comments as much as I do.

:drool: I loooooove that polish...think I just found a winner

He can sure make one with or without a color finish. Mine will be with!

phenomenal bead welding. it's something that is incredibly difficult to do well. looks good so far duey, can't wait for more pics!

There's a couple pictures coming really soon that are remarkable. I just about flipped when I seen them, haha. I just hope the weather holds off, this should be to me by the end of next week.

Great photos Due....and Gene....being a former welder by trade for over 15 years, I have to say, that is some beautiful work right there !

Thanks for all the great comments guys, I started welding when I was 9-10 years old, by the age of 12 I went to my Dads shop after school and welded race car parts and built race cars about every night and weekend, I am self taught had no real training at it other then my Father, who is an amazing welder at 72 years young. I am 47 years old now so I guess I have had a few years of practice at it. Only now I need glasses to do it!

Gene

Great photos Due....and Gene....being a former welder by trade for over 15 years, I have to say, that is some beautiful work right there !

Thanks DD, but Gene even took the pictures, haha

Gene, I've had people ask me questions about toe hang and face balanced, but I don't really know a ton myself. Can you explain that for us? Also, someone was asking about using two different putters, one for faster greens and one slow greens. First off what do you suggest and secondly is there a specific type face a person should look for if wanting a "hotter" putter?

Due,

Take your current phone book and your current putter, lay the phone book close the edge of your kitchen table, lay your putter on the phone book flat on the shaft with the head of the putter hanging out over the end of the table. The book should be about 3" or so from the the putter head itself (don't drop your putter)
If the face of your putter is level to the ground then it is Face Balance, some people think of toe hang like a clock looking at your putter from the grip end and the head like it is a clock if the face would be at 4:00 that would be the Toe hang and so on. I think it is a little better to divide the section of a clock in 1/4's and say a 1/4 toe hang or 1/2 toe hang 3/4 or full. Full = 6:00 which is the putter head 90 deg. to the floor. Toe hang is needed for the type of stroke you have, lets say you have a straight back straight thru stroke, although it is very unnatural some people are convinced that they need to swing a putter straight and straight thru stroke. With that stroke you would want a face balance putter, the more arc you have to your swing the the more toe hang you need. Now all that being said one thing you need to do is get a piece of poster board or cardboard lets say 2'x3' put a line down the center of it long ways and address the line with the sweet spot of your putter centered on the line as if the line would be the direction the ball will go. Make a 6" back stoke like you are hitting a ball or even hit a ball, if you try and make the putter follow that line without turning your wrists using only your shoulders to move the club you will notice that the club opens up on the back swing.
If the club does not open up you are turning your wrists or moving your arms away from your body, again this is unnatural, and in my opinion causes the most people to have to correct or compensate hence pushes and pulls both. Now swing the club back without turning your wrists or moving you arms away from your body and the club will move on a slight arc, you do not have to compensate for anything and 9 times out of 10 you will hit the ball with the putter face square.
Of course this is only my opinion but it does come with quite a bit of research.

As far as the face milling goes think of it like this the less contact area with the ball the softer the putter will feel, hence roll grooves and deep milling, a smooth putter surface or very fine milling will make the putter feel more solid at impact but has a tendency to not get the ball rolling end over end as quick.

Back