What is it you are wanting to buy?

Well I'm just now getting serious with golf. I used my buddy's G15 (TFC shaft) before finally buying one (Serrano shaft) off of ebay. I just bought a Cleveland wedge (should be delivered today), and in the near future I'm looking for new irons and FWs. I've been perusing ebay and am seeing very cheap FWs (904F has caught my eye often) but haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm going to go hit everything possible before getting irons but I think I'm leaning towards Di11s. Prior to purchasing I'll probably get fitted for shaft, length, and lie....buy online....and then have them adjusted.

I just recently got married and bought a house (within 3 weeks of each other lol) and while I'm not hurting for money, I can't buy everything I want because then it'll open up the flood gates for the wife to start matching me purchase for purchase and THATS when the money trouble starts :) I bring that up because I want new irons but the wedges and FWs will most likely be older models (used) from ebay and I was just wondering if people are burned more often than not when buying used equipment blindly.

Technically, yes, but thats usually just putters. As far as other clubs, 95% of the time I buy only after reading reviews on here (FW, hybrids, irons, wedges all this way hehe).

I typically read reviews and then go test the equipment.

I use it on the range whenever possible vs the simulators.

Golf gear is just too expensive to make an untested purchase.

Just this year I bought a driver, 3 wood, and a 5 wood blind. I no longer have the woods and I have re-shafted the driver. I think I have learned my lesson... I will test things out before I buy any clubs again. Especially with the woods... they are often so draw biased and I dont need any help going left :act-up:

Well I'm just now getting serious with golf. I used my buddy's G15 (TFC shaft) before finally buying one (Serrano shaft) off of ebay. I just bought a Cleveland wedge (should be delivered today), and in the near future I'm looking for new irons and FWs. I've been perusing ebay and am seeing very cheap FWs (904F has caught my eye often) but haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm going to go hit everything possible before getting irons but I think I'm leaning towards Di11s. Prior to purchasing I'll probably get fitted for shaft, length, and lie....buy online....and then have them adjusted.

I just recently got married and bought a house (within 3 weeks of each other lol) and while I'm not hurting for money, I can't buy everything I want because then it'll open up the flood gates for the wife to start matching me purchase for purchase and THATS when the money trouble starts :) I bring that up because I want new irons but the wedges and FWs will most likely be older models (used) from ebay and I was just wondering if people are burned more often than not when buying used equipment blindly.

Buying used off ebay is fairly low risk. If you give it a shot and don't like it, the value hasn't dropped one dime. You can trade it in at the golf shop or throw it back up on ebay.

In the past, everything I bought was blind. Off the rack irons, woods, wedges. Now, I want to be fitted for everything. And finding a good fitter is another problem. I was 'fitted' for my last irons. Not so good fitting. I still buy some things blind. I bought my CG15 SW and LW blind. The LW works great for me. The SW is not as good for me as my Nike SW that came with the irons.

Some blind buying works for me, but most doesn't. I'm going to try to be fitted for most of my golf equipment. But, I'm sure I'll drop some money on blind 'good' deals.

I have yet to truly be fitted for anything so I'm excited to see if it actually makes a difference.

I've always been a good athlete growing up (28 now) and part of that means adjusting. If my clubs dont work initially then adjust whatever I need to to make it work. Thats the attitude that makes me think I can take good reviews and buy without trying....

I bought my Wilson Staff CI9 Irons blind because they were too good of a deal and I read good reviews about them. I didn't know anything about fitting at the time. I just wanted to get the bests clubs for the cheapest price. I don't have the ability to test clubs very often so sometimes you just gotta take a shot. That is why I always look for deals.

How are you liking those Ci9s?

I did that with my wedges before, figured I wouldn't be able to test them thoroughly at the shop anyway.

I've done it a couple of times in the past. I've never had any problems so far and have always been happy with the product.

For me, it depends on the price. I would not buy an expensive items like a driver or set of irons...but maybe a wedge or hybird. I have bought without hitting before, but I normally hit a club at a local golf club.

I usually put my contacts in before I buy equipment. So no, I never buy blind...

If I find a great deal on something, I will buy blind. Sure, I prefer to be fitted, but sometimes you cant pass up a great deal on standard L/L/L.

I usually only buy new clubs at brick and mortar stores and used clubs from one or two sites that I trust. I would never buy new clubs that I had never hit before and I usually hit a club 3 or 4 times over a period of weeks before I can decide. I will buy used online only if the club matches the spec of one I already own and that I already know I can hit, it doesn't hurt to have some options if one breaks.

Even tho I have 2 courses within a mile of the house the only local option to buy clubs was the golf shop at only one of the courses and they only carried one brand really. Now we have an actual golf shop in town but prior to that I ordered a lot of stuff blind. I ordered my last driver, a Callaway Diablo Edge blind but probably wouldn't have if I had to pay full retail for it. But for $89 I could afford to gamble on it.

ive brought all my clubs without testing them,i origanilly brought my mp60 from usa and wedges and never even held a iron, it took a few weeks to hit well, i brought a superquad tp and changed shafts without hitting it,now ive just brought burner 2.0 superfast tp driver.3-5 woods.. i think it comes down to adjusting your swing and game to it, as ive noticed i stand a little closer with my new driver then the superquad, i smash my superquad 290-300 meters and i thought why change but its a challenge and newer clubs,

I bought 4 sets of irons in the last 6 months. 3 of them "blind". Adams a7, Bridgestone j38 dpc, taylormade r9. All bought from online stores & All probably not suited to me!!
Finally bit the bullet today, paid a bit extra and got fitted at my local pro shop for a new set of Wilson Staff ci11s. 1/2 inch over, 1 deg upright. i can already see the difference after 1 range session. Got rid of my slight fade which I'm thrilled with.

I've never purchased golfing equipment blind. Especially since I saw a young fella leaving Dick's with a shattered short shaft on the driver head he was carrying, turned out to be a counterfeit. I think the warranty might be worth those few extra dollars.

I used to buy blind all the time. Then I came to THP when doing some research on a driver and I will never buy completely blind again.
With all the information available here and the ridiculous amount of real world testing that goes on here, it really helps narrow the contenders when I am looking for new equipment.

I buy blind most of the time, especially if it's a good deal, because golf equipment are easy to sell if you don't like it.

The only time I do a bit more research before buying is if the specs are rare and unlikely to be resold easily...

A lot! Being that I live in Mexico, I only get to buy stuff when I am up in the US for work and being left handed I usually have to preorder stuff otherwise they wont have it when I get there. I rely very very heavily on THP reviews.

actually, everything that's in my bag was bought before I ever hit it.. I work at Academy Sports and Outdoors and ended up getting such a good deal on it that it was too hard to pass up. Good thing I like everything thusfar!

i bought my current set of wedges blind. so far so good...i guess i lucked out.

Back