Technology for beginners?

I am a 1% - er then because I had to borrow or rent clubs for a long time because I just couldn't buy them when I was a kid.

Its cuz you keep giving your cat beer and smokes... Shame on you... HA ha, like the pic.

Adjustable clubs are great and all, but isn't the R11 lacking a little in forgiveness?

I'd be willing to bet 99% of us had a set of dedicated clubs we used from day one. Borrowed, bought or otherwise. Having the same set makes it much easier to work on what matters most, a repeatable full swing. He's got his starter set so it's time to golf.
Ok maybe I need to classify "day one" as a day that I decided I wanted to learn the game past the level of the annual scramble, or an occasional round with a buddy that plays. I personally worked a couple seasons at courses using hand me downs and rentals before I bought my first set.

Without clubs, how would I practice after the lessons?

I taught plenty of people that didn't have clubs, they were loaned a 7 iron and were welcome to use it as often as they like. There are ways to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I would have taken lessons and been fitted before spending any serious money on Golf Clubs

+2. Get fit. It has never been easier to do and take lessons. Groove a good swing, not a bad one. Money and clubs alone will not fix a bad swing.

First off Welcome to THP. Hey As you get better you can adjust the head on that bad boy you just got. But I would get some lessons. It will make you love the game more and you wont be saying later . Why didnt I do this in the beginning.

I taught plenty of people that didn't have clubs, they were loaned a 7 iron and were welcome to use it as often as they like. There are ways to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best instructor I ever had told me all you need is a 7 iron, if you have only one club to practice with or for some odd reason you can only carry one with you then take that one. And a putter, gotta practice putting.

I started with a 7 iron until I was able to hit it properly and consistently.

I personally disagree with this. Unless someone is going to lend you some clubs, you will need to buy some for your lessons. I dont think that buying a set of cheap clubs, then getting better and then buying a new set of more expensive clubs is cost effective. I think he did the right thing with the adjustable woods and hopefully he got some SGI/GI irons to go with it. Just my opinion...

I agree ripper! The R11 is a great club and could help you out. One of my buddies got one recently and loves it. He took it to a certified Taylormade dealer and got it fit to his swing and he gained so much consistancy and about 15 yards or so. That is my best sugestion to you get hooked up to a launch monitor and they will hook you up with the best fitting for you. And as you progressively get better you can change the club again and again until it is perfect. You can always change the settings back. :D

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and new to golf, so forgive me for a very naive question!

I just purchased a set of clubs, some wedges, some hybrids and a 3-wood. Based on conversations with a bunch of golfers, I decided to get a 3-wood to start off with and work my way up to a driver. Common consensus with my mates was that the driver was a hard club to hit, and I'd find a 3-wood easier.

So, I purchased the R11 3-wood with the thought that the versatility/adjustability of the club would make it easier for me to hit straight and possibly negate some errors in my swing.

I'm kind of having second thoughts now, thinking that this will handicap me in the long run by hiding a poor swing. For example, lets say I have a nice slice. I can adjust the loft and face angle to get rid of the slice. Now I'm happy. BUT, that doesn't change the fact that I have problems with my swing, which would return immediately should I get a different wood or driver that doesn't compensate for it.

So, should I forget all that and just be happy with letting the club fix my error and enjoy my golf, or should I keep the wood on all "neutral" settings (so it's not helping me) and learn to fix my swing first? Obviously this will take a lot longer time wise but would have greater benefits in the long run.

Naturally, I'd tell myself to learn it right at the beginning. But part of me says if the technology is there, use it.

What do you all think?

yea i hear this alot - people like those adjustable drivers so they can "hide" a swing flaw.
I try to make the same swing - and on my good ones its straight. But then you can adjust it one click left - if you want to hit a draw and higher; or you can open it up to the right - and lower the loft, but its going to fade right on ya. Unless of course you start altering your swing.

Back