Golf in Middle Tennessee.

cjc925

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wanted to start a Middle Tennessee thread. I live in Nashville and love to play. My favorite courses would probably have to be Greystone and Hermitage. I was hoping to get more reviews from other THPers if possible.

Hi CJC,
Hope you still check in to this thread. I live in Nashville too. I consider the Hermitage courses my home courses. I like the President's better than the General's. More challenging with tighter fairways and more elevation changes.
I have played a bunch of places...
Harpeth Hills - Good municipal course, probably the best muni in town. Hate that the driving range is off the mats most of the year. Greens have been decent with less bare spots than most other munis.
Two Rivers - This course is not in good shape this year. They have taken a beating, the greens are horrible. They are bumpy and bare patches galore.
Ravenwood - Don't even bother! This course is horrible. The fairways, greens, and bunkers are in terrible shape.
The Legends - The north course has just had the greens rebuilt and are great. The fairways are in great shape. The south course is wider open but the play has made it bear on many greens.
That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
Hope to hear back from you.

Ya'll should try Willow Ridge in McEwen, Tn. located on 2065 Erin Road. 931-582-9966

One of those hidden gems in the middle of nowhere. And they keep it in fantastic condition. I've played the last two days there.

Haven't played Greystone or Montgomery Bell yet. But I go often to the range at Montgomery.

Thanks for the heads up on the courses Superhawk. I have not played any of the courses west of Nashville. How long does it take to get to these from downtown?

Played the Club at Foxland Harbor today. Great course. Very open so a bit windy. Priced at $60 per person. The fairways are in great shape and the greens are still growing in but should be great in two more weeks, with some rain. The play was at a good pace, and as we were a twosome it was nice to have some groups in front of us let us play through. They have a nice grill house at the turning point. They have a driving range and a putting green which are a nice touch. Overall a really nice place to play. Will definitely be back for more rounds.

Last edited:
Dickson is west of Nashville...about 50 minutes give or take. And McEwen is west of Dickson...about 10 minutes.

another middle TN hacker here. I'm a member at Ravenwood...yes, the place is in rough shape now but the fairways should bounce back later in the spring. A few of the greens have had problems (16 is closed again) and the traps are just mud. Kinda sad...for the money, you cant beat the place. It is a challenging course. Metro has bought it and it looks like it'll be shut down to become green space at the end of 2013.
No mention of Windtree by anyone. I have a bunch of friends that play there every weekend. I play there in the Saturday AM points game every few weeks. the 18th green is back open and the rest of the course is in pretty good shape..played there this past saturday.
You cant go wrong at Old Fort in Murfreesboro. Another Muni that is always in great condition..especially the greens. I really like that course.
Hermitage is nice but is a bit spendy. always in good condition
A friend of mine is the pro at Country Hills. tough course and demands accurate shot-making. fast greens. I hate that place. :act-up:
Try Pebble Brook in Joelton. Have played there a few times in the past year. price is decent, lots of variation in elevation. They make fresh hamburgers at lunch time, the locals bring in fresh tomotoes, and their sausage biscuits in the morning are great. If you play bad, at least you can get some decent eats. :act-up:

I agree with you on Windtree and Old Fort. I have played Old Fort twice in the last month and love it. I also play Cedar Crest a lot. The back 9 there is tough to manage for me.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Will have to check out Cedar Crest. I missed an opportunity to play Montgomery Bell recently due to work...its an hour + 15 min drive for me but have heard it's worth the trip

will get to Fall Creek Falls one of these days as well as Bear Trace...friends tell me "go there"

Great to hear from some other THPers in the area. We should get together and play! I have played Windtree a couple times but it is always so slow that it turns into a 5-5 and 1/2 hour round. I hate taking that long. I played the Hermitage on Sunday morning and unfortunately there was a group tournament ahead of us and these guys were slow, rude, loud, and complete hackers. I never saw so many groups ahead of me playing from adjoining fairways...can you say slice?! It was awful. Trying to tee off or put and these guys are yelling across the fairways asking if anyone has seen their ball. Ughh it was horrible. Sometimes I can get there and play a 4 hour round which is quite enjoyable.

Last year I played Through The Green in Jolton and that was a nice tight course. Have not been there this year yet. Also played Ravenwood...once last year. Will never go back. It really is in its terminal phase. Sorry Subvet but you know it is true.
I want to try Pebble Brook. Sounds like they have improved their customer service a lot. Two years ago they were reviewed so poorly for poor service and obnoxious rangers, that I never ended up trying out the course.

Look forward to hearing more reviews of the courses around. We should try to get together let me know if anyone is interested.

Hit em' straight!

Great to hear from some other THPers in the area. We should get together and play! I have played Windtree a couple times but it is always so slow that it turns into a 5-5 and 1/2 hour round. I hate taking that long. I played the Hermitage on Sunday morning and unfortunately there was a group tournament ahead of us and these guys were slow, rude, loud, and complete hackers. I never saw so many groups ahead of me playing from adjoining fairways...can you say slice?! It was awful. Trying to tee off or put and these guys are yelling across the fairways asking if anyone has seen their ball. Ughh it was horrible. Sometimes I can get there and play a 4 hour round which is quite enjoyable.

Last year I played Through The Green in Jolton and that was a nice tight course. Have not been there this year yet. Also played Ravenwood...once last year. Will never go back. It really is in its terminal phase. Sorry Subvet but you know it is true.
I want to try Pebble Brook. Sounds like they have improved their customer service a lot. Two years ago they were reviewed so poorly for poor service and obnoxious rangers, that I never ended up trying out the course.

Look forward to hearing more reviews of the courses around. We should try to get together let me know if anyone is interested.

Hit em' straight!

I played 36 at Through the Green today. Its a nice little course. Tight for sure, especially when you are a high handicapper like me! 88 on both rounds, thats 5 in a row under 90! Anyhow. Montgomery Bell and Kings Creek are definitely worth a look. My favorite course is The Links at Novadell in Hopkinsville. Its a bit of a hike, but I love the lumpy, open, windy courses.

I played 36 at Through the Green today. Its a nice little course. Tight for sure, especially when you are a high handicapper like me! 88 on both rounds, thats 5 in a row under 90! Anyhow. Montgomery Bell and Kings Creek are definitely worth a look. My favorite course is The Links at Novadell in Hopkinsville. Its a bit of a hike, but I love the lumpy, open, windy courses.

Great to hear from another THPer in the area. Great rounds at TTG...impressive! I will have to look up the Links, never heard of it. Is that in KY? I hope to try out some of these courses like Kings Creek and maybe this Montgomery Bell. Maybe we can set up a THP foursome one of these weekends. Try the Club at Foxland Harbor for a nice windy open course. I loved that course! We should meet up there! Who is up for it?

I am planning on playing at Bear Trace in June. I've heard alot of good things about that course. I have been trying to branch out from some of the normal courses I play so I will have to try some of your suggestions.

Great to hear from another THPer in the area. Great rounds at TTG...impressive! I will have to look up the Links, never heard of it. Is that in KY? I hope to try out some of these courses like Kings Creek and maybe this Montgomery Bell. Maybe we can set up a THP foursome one of these weekends. Try the Club at Foxland Harbor for a nice windy open course. I loved that course! We should meet up there! Who is up for it?

I marshaled at Foxland in exchange for free golf for awhile. It is a lovely course, always in tip top shape... And the Female staff isn't bad either! Ha!

Yes, The Links at Novadell is in Hopkinsville, KY. About an hours drive, but worth it. If you guys plan a get together, I'll see if I can get it on it. My work schedule is strange...

Hit em' straight!

Windtree was my course of choice before we joined Ravenwood a couple of years ago. It's close to my house and usually always in great shape. It does tend to bunch up on the 8th hole though, especially during events. It got so bad one time, our group drove to the clubhouse, got some sandwiches and beer and drove back down to #8 and still waited another 20 minutes. I play there maybe once a month now in the points game and it moves pretty well...they are marshalling a little better now too. Overall, it's hard to beat the place.

We joined Ravenwood mainly for the access we get for the $$ we spend. I can walk on w/o a tee time almost any time I want. When we joined my wife was a beginner and I was working on my game after being away from golf for awhile. We didn't want the pressure of pace that comes with a public course until we were better players, and didn't want to shell out the $$ for a place like Old Hickory or other private clubs. Ravenwood is close to where we live too...same approx distance as Windtree. It's still semi-private. Alot of people I talk to think it's private so never think to check it out. This is one of the things hurting that course...they don't sell enough rounds to invest more in the condition of the course and they traditionally haven't enforced cart rules so the place gets torn up due to stupidity of non-members and many members alike. It really is a decent course from a challenge standpoint so it's sad to see it in the condition it's in. Still a good value for the $$ though. As I mentioned earlier, Metro has bought it and is closing it down the end of 2013...sad, it could be a really nice course...more potential than 2 Rivers and some of the other munis

I like Hermitage but have had bad experiences w. pace of play the last 2 times I've played there and have a difficult time swallowing that for cost of a round there. I play there as a treat now. It's on our short list for membership when Ravenwood shuts down but I have reservations about access/pace. Still, both courses are great.

Anyway, to all you guys...I'm open for a round sometime...the place in KY sounds nice, as do some of the other suggestions from everyone. Maybe we can all connect somewhere.

Last edited:
have any of y'all played at 5 Oaks in Lebanon? I've driven through the neighborhood and it looks like a nice course. I have a couple of friends who've played there...mixed feelings from one guy, the other guy hated it. (he has some mobility problems and had difficulty w. the hills and rough)

I'm looking at this, and some other places as a new home course in the near future. If you've played there, or know someone who is a member there what is your impression or what have you heard about the place?

I played Willow Ridge again today. That area seems to attract wind and breezes which should be great come summer. It was plenty warm today. That place has NO sand traps which I just realized today. LOL.

I plan on playing Montgomery Bell next week...can't wait. Will be playing Old Fort in the near future with work buddies.

Anybody here played Champions Run in Rockvale? http://www.championsrun.biz/ I haven't played the course but I've been on their awesome short game practise area. The owners and people who work there are very friendly.

I played Willow Ridge again today. That area seems to attract wind and breezes which should be great come summer. It was plenty warm today. That place has NO sand traps which I just realized today. LOL.

I plan on playing Montgomery Bell next week...can't wait. Will be playing Old Fort in the near future with work buddies.

Anybody here played Champions Run in Rockvale? http://www.championsrun.biz/ I haven't played the course but I've been on their awesome short game practise area. The owners and people who work there are very friendly.

I've played Champion's Run once a couple of years ago. 8 of us got together for a father/son thing. The course was still pretty brown and no leaves on the trees but it was fun and low difficulty. Flat, wide-open course with no real hazards to speak of. I would like to play it when it's green. The thing I remember most was the cart we had that day must've had the governor disabled cause it hauled-a$$. We still laugh about that.
:act-up:

Last edited:
Ughh this rain sucks! Cannot wait to have a nice weekend. Hopefully where I do not have to work.

Planning my memorial day getaway and looking to play Bear Trace at Tims Ford park on Friday, then going down to the Shoals in Muscle Shoals AL to play the RTJ golf trail courses at the Shoals. Love those two courses, the Schoolmaster, and the Fighting Joe. Great courses that are well maintained.

Has anyone played Bear Trace? Anyone play it this year?

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said on this thread. My top 5 would be:

1. Hermitage
2. Windtree
3. Old Fort
4. Pine Creek
5. Forrest Crossing (more so due to proximity than quality)

I haven't been there for a few years, but I've always enjoyed Legacy up in Springfield (Ray Floyd design). Percy Warner also has a nice little 9 hole walking course. Kings Creek, Gaylord, and Ross Creek Landing are on my list to check out next time I feel adventurous.

I like the Hermitage and Windtree, but they are way too crowded. I cannot stand another 5 1/2 hour round of golf. The last two times out at both of these have been horrible, almost 6 hours at the Hermitage. I have not played Old Fort yet. Is Forrest Crossing any good? I went to a demo day there and it looked to be in mediocre shape.

I played The Club at Foxland Harbor on Saturday afternoon and played a great round on a great course in about 3 1/2 hours. This is a gem of a course. Good changes in elevation, great bunker placement, and challenging.

I like Percy Warner, it is close to my home so I play it a lot. It is a real dog track, but fun. It is a good place for me to work on my game.

I have not played Gaylord but want to soon. I have heard it is challenging because of tight fairways.

I like the Hermitage and Windtree, but they are way too crowded. I cannot stand another 5 1/2 hour round of golf. The last two times out at both of these have been horrible, almost 6 hours at the Hermitage.
Windtree on the weekends is unbearable - especially on Sundays. The last weekend round I played there we actually had 3 groups on the par-3 Eighth (1 group on the green, 1 waiting to tee off, and my group waiting behind them). I've had good luck with weekday rounds there (and the occasional Saturday).

I've never had problems at Hermitage - guess I've been lucky. I played there last Saturday and my group played both sides in great time: 4 hours on the Generals and 4:15 on the Presidents.

Is Forrest Crossing any good? I went to a demo day there and it looked to be in mediocre shape.

It's an interesting course (the back 9, anyway) that's always in mediocre shape. I live about 5 minutes away and it's fairly cheap during the week (sub-$30 on Golfzing). I don't think I'd drive more than 25 minutes or pay more than $40 to play there if given the choice.

I'm not familiar with Foxland Harbor - is it private?

I've only played golf on one course in TN, and it was in southeast TN. Copper Basin Golf Club. It's a public 9 hole course, and not very good haha. Avoid it if looking for something nice.

MDV123

I play at the Hermitage a lot and have problems with slow play about 60% of the time. I like the courses very much.

The Club at Foxland Harbor is in Gallatin off of Vietnam Veterans Blvd. Might be more of a haul for you from Franklin. It is not private but hopes to go that way some day. They are seeking members now but are open to the public. Really nice course. Play it if you get a chance.

I have played Gaylord Springs, although its been about 4 years since I was don there, but what a beautiful, brutal course.. it was full of sand, and if there wasn't sand on the hole, (which I don't think there was a hole without sand), it was tons of water, or some kind of an island shot.

If I get back to the Nashville area, I will definitelllly hit that course again, so much fun, so challenging, and great experience.

Back