Keys to drving the ball consistently

polarisdude94

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
What are they keys to driving the ball consistently. Hole to hole and day to day. Sometimes I hit every fw and sometimes I miss a few. But some days like yesterday I can barely hit any. What are the key things I should be trying to do in my swing. Every other club is good except driver. Do I concentrate on in to out swing? Also, watching the pro where I caddy it looks like he turns around his left foot as if it the pivot point of his swing. Should I turn "harder" on/around my left foot? When I do this now I pull everything.

On a scale of 1-10 for effort, swing it like a 3. Longer and straighter than you'll ever imagine. As long as you don't slow down on the way to the ball.

On a scale of 1-10 for effort, swing it like a 3. Longer and straighter than you'll ever imagine. As long as you don't slow down on the way to the ball.

Agreed. Keep your swing in tempo and don't try to kill the ball. I hit the ball farther when I don't try and kill it

When I was on the range the pro that Ive been working with told me to think 75% when I was swinging to help with a better transition and tempo. Which will lead to better driving of the ball.

When I'm hitting my driver well it's definitely because of tempo, staying connected with the proper turn, and I'm swinging out instead of across the ball.

For me it's a full shoulder turn, pause at the top, swing throught the ball while concentrating on rolling my right forearm through the shot into the follow-through

This may just be me, but I've noticed when I hit my driver well the tee barely moves.

"Low and slow is my tempo"

But honestly. Dont stress the drives as many before me has said. I always try to think about that and also that the belt buckle is supposed to face the way you are "aiming" at the end of the swing to ensure a proper follow through.

double post. crap.

Agreed. Keep your swing in tempo and don't try to kill the ball. I hit the ball farther when I don't try and kill it

I agree. Driving is day to day for me. If I start the day with a miss in one direction or the other, I just adjust grip, stance etc. for that day. My tempo never changes. I would guess I swing about 90 percent most of the time with the driver. If I go full out, it can lead to trouble. Less than 100 percent = more fairways for me and you really don't give up much is any distance.

I also agree with OEM Kevin about thinking 75% to help with transition and tempo.

There's a ton of different swing thoughts and techniques, but for consistancy if I simply keep my dead as still as possible and trust that the ball will go where I want it without raising to see it I'll have my best driving days. My last time out I hit the first 5 fw's in a row and nice long drives with a 75% swing on the first one. Confidence allowed me to gradually add a little more power until I over cooked one missing the fw by just a little bit and had to thrttle back down some. Also "Turn dont Slide".

Great advice Duey! I will have to bookmark this thread for our trip to Florida today and do some homework.

Well said, I've been doing that lately with great results. I'm making better contact and more often in the sweet spot. It took some getting use to as at first it feels like the ball won't go anywhere. After finding your ball in the short grass instead of in the rough or worse at the same distances as before, you get to like it!

Everyone's brought up great advice and all I can add is that I would suggest having someone, who really knows/teaches, look at your swing.

I try to swing at what I feel is 60% and I find the center of the clubface most of the time... and I have minimal distance lost. I very rarely 'go at it' anymore with any of my clubs.

...pause at the top, swing thought the ball while concentrating on rolling my right forearm through the shot into the follow-through

The two thoughts above are key for me, especially the latter. If I do not concentrate on involving my right hand/arm in the swing I will hit with an open face 100% of the time. I believe it is from being left handed and playing right, until lessons I never knew thought to involve my right side.

I owe the rolling of the right forearm tip to G4L....it's helped me with keeping the club face closed at impact more and even produces a nice draw for me which I normally don't have
The two thoughts above are key for me, especially the latter. If I do not concentrate on involving my right hand/arm in the swing I will hit with an open face 100% of the time. I believe it is from being left handed and playing right, until lessons I never knew thought to involve my right side.

I think that swinging slower will definitely hep me. In the beginning of the season I was swinging slower and was driving the ball great. But now I try to kill the ball too much. I think that swinging slower will also help me with the in to out path as well. I can tell now when I try to hit it hard I come over the top, not a ton but enough to fade the ball. When I did swing slower I did hit the ball just as far too. Also, should I have the reverse c shape at impact? Or will that lead to slicing? I have heard many different opinions about that.

Also, after I work on slowing my swing down to where I am hitting the ball consistently again, should I try to speed up my swing a little at a time? And if you could say one thing that is the most important to hitting a draw what would it be?

Back