As good as quality as any thing but a Scotty C IMO but hard to find

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boca 1 - Nicklaus

Believe (?) not made anymore but if you can find one cheap buy one!

I picked one up a few years ago and would not trade it for anything currently except perhaps some Camerons. From my usage = Some of the classic Scotty Cs have similar weighting and an equally solid feedback, but IMO this gives an even better roll than most of the Scotty's i have used and has a wonderful grip (now if I could only find another putter cover as I keep it covered when I ride to protect it)

Only photo I can find is at
http://www.oobgolf.com/equipment/putters/Boca_5069

With the following description:
The Boca is one of the Jack Nicklaus Precision Putters. This club is precision milled for accuracy, making it a popular choice with both amateur and professional golfers. Featuring a classic heel-toe design, the Boca putter delivers superior feel and control on the greens. Experience the difference a precision milled putter can make.

I take it that you're a fan of Scotty Cameron's. I have liked the look of the Studio Select line. I just have not found a good reason why the Newport is a better option than the other options out there. What have you found that makes a Scotty that much better?

with the Camerons' like the Boca I think in general many have a very solid head with a "heavier" feel sort of mid range on the "heavy" putter craze. Also, they tend to sit nicely and are consistent and provide feedback more so than many insert putters IMO. The downside is that on very fast greens it is easy to overhit these putters but with experience that can be overcome as with any putter and i find the Newport like models work well hitting intentionally it near the toe to dampen the hit when needed.

I do also like and admire the quality of TP putters and played one for awhile and their quality is good as are many other out there - Cleveland has a new line that is great beautiful; I also belonged to the same golf course as Stricker in WI and have a nice Ping putter from his pro there - I do believe in general most putters today are; 1) ugly; 2) do not provide enough feedback; and like many iron heads crutches to good swings that might keep a player with some skill from becoming better. I do not always putt well but i do believe playing the Boca or a Cameron that I can get very hot with them and be overall pretty consistent and that is enough for me!

I take it that you're a fan of Scotty Cameron's. I have liked the look of the Studio Select line. I just have not found a good reason why the Newport is a better option than the other options out there. What have you found that makes a Scotty that much better?

I believe that a milled face (without an insert) provides a more consistent roll. Not that this is unique to Scotty's. Personally, I have gained confidence in my putting since getting my Scotty, probably just mental but I have become a much better putter and I don't get nervous standing over a 3 footer. That being said, I got mine used and would not part with $300 for a putter.

Ok. So nothing unique or specific to Scotty Cameron's. Just non-insert putters. I know that the confidence a putter can give a golfer is invaluable. But there is still nothing unique to SCs that make them special. Correct?

Correct. I think that knowing a company makes quality products is also important. Again, not unique to Scotty. If you go on SC website, you can watch how the putters are made. It's pretty cool stuff.

Sc's are nice, but not 300 bucks nice, and certainly not worth overlooking some of their business practices. However, if they give you confidence, go for it. Personally, I would by a CC and a new driver.

Putting and putters is very subjective. There are many putters out there that are just as good if not better than a Cameron. Use what you like. If your putter gives you confidence, that is all the matters. The ball has no idea how much a putter cost or who built it.

I have a Scotty Cameron Red X2 that I have gamed for 7 years, I recently purchased a Cleveland V P Milled #2 putter and have been gaming it for the past 3 weeks as I decided to change style putters after testing the T P Mills Ming putter and liking the style very much. The Cleveland to me is every bit as good as any putter I have ever used. I got it at a great price of under $50 so I may sell the SC and actually pocket the difference.

If you go on SC website, you can watch how the putters are made.

Receive putter head from third party. Add paint-fill. Attach shaft and grip. Velcro on headcover.

That's how I understand his process.

I took the $1 Ray Cook putter I purchased from Rock Bottom Golf to the course this past Sunday. Had 15 putts for 9 with an anser style putter (I've been a mallet guy for a few years). 15 was actually quite good as everything was plugging in the green. Made a snaky 30 footer for a birdie.

Is a Scotty 300 times better than my $1 Ray Cook putter? Just makes me wonder is all.

Correct. I think that knowing a company makes quality products is also important. Again, not unique to Scotty. If you go on SC website, you can watch how the putters are made. It's pretty cool stuff.

Having not seen the video, I just wander if there is any disclaimer stating that the putters are not actually made by Cameron or in his shop.......

Ok. So nothing unique or specific to Scotty Cameron's. Just non-insert putters. I know that the confidence a putter can give a golfer is invaluable. But there is still nothing unique to SCs that make them special. Correct?

I feel like you just hate Scotty Cameron. Scotty's are amazing putters. I've compared other non insert putters head to head with my Scotty and nothing has come close to matching the feel, touch, and ball control I have with my Scotty. They are just amazing putters in general.

I think that SC putters are good because they use a fantastic company to mill their putters.

There are putters out there that are more forgiving on off center hits. I have also hit putters that are softer than either of my SC putters. To me, a good putter is a good putter is a good putter. Everything is subjective. With the number of truly genius people in this world, I have trouble thinking that one line of putters can be so much better than anything else. Mindset will make something the best and SC is very good at creating that mindset.

I feel like you just hate Scotty Cameron

On the contrary. I was 20 minutes away from buying a Newport 2 weeks ago. I really like the feel and look of them. I just couldn't get a strong enough answer to what SCs brought to the table that made them so special.

I think that SC putters are good because they use a fantastic company to mill their putters.

Thank you Seth. That's what I was looking for..

I feel like you just hate Scotty Cameron. Scotty's are amazing putters. I've compared other non insert putters head to head with my Scotty and nothing has come close to matching the feel, touch, and ball control I have with my Scotty. They are just amazing putters in general.

While I don't care for Camerons way of doing business, I'll agree that his putters are ok, but nothing special in my mind and that statement in itself does not make me a "hater", I think you need to accept the fact that not everyone will agree with you.

Everything is subjective, whether it is putters, golf clubs, clothes, cars, the color of our house, the breed of dog we own and the list goes on and on. As long as you think it is "amazing", that is all that matters, but don't expect everyone to feel that way. I have owned several Cameron putters and to me they were nothing special. There are many putters out there that are just as good at a fraction of the price.

While I don't care for Camerons way of doing business, I'll agree that his putters are ok, but nothing special in my mind and that statement in itself does not make me a "hater", I think you need to accept the fact that not everyone will agree with you.

Everything is subjective, whether it is putters, golf clubs, clothes, cars, the color of our house, the breed of dog we own and the list goes on and on. As long as you think it is "amazing", that is all that matters, but don't expect everyone to feel that way. I have owned several Cameron putters and to me they were nothing special. There are many putters out there that are just as good at a fraction of the price.

I 100% accept this. I definitely realize that everyone has differing opinions, but
I said something because it seemed that no matter what kind of positive comment was given about SC there was something negative said about their way of business or that they get their club head mailed in. Most people who love their SC know this. I love my SC :banana:

I guess I wasn't fully aware of their "business practices" that so many of you are talking about. The videos on their website lead me to believe that everything was done in-house. I guess I was a little naive, but nothing would have made me believe otherwise. This doesn't change how I feel about Scotty Cameron putters. I still love my SC.

I 100% accept this. I definitely realize that everyone has differing opinions, but
I said something because it seemed that no matter what kind of positive comment was given about SC there was something negative said about their way of business or that they get their club head mailed in. Most people who love their SC know this. I love my SC :banana:

I have a quick question for you. Would you want to send your SC in to get re-milled in house by Cameron or would you rather send it to the company that originally milled it? I have been debating this issue in my head for a while now. I would rather trust this highly experienced milling company to redo work than one of Cameron's employees in house. I am pretty Anti Cameron, but i happen to roll his putter the best. How strange is that?

For around the same price as a SC i'd look at a Bettinardi or SeeMore.

I have a quick question for you. Would you want to send your SC in to get re-milled in house by Cameron or would you rather send it to the company that originally milled it? I have been debating this issue in my head for a while now. I would rather trust this highly experienced milling company to redo work than one of Cameron's employees in house. I am pretty Anti Cameron, but i happen to roll his putter the best. How strange is that?

No doubt would I rather send it to the original miller. They did a great job the 1st time, so why mess with it. I'm not naive in the sense that I know they use outside millers, but SC just does a great job with everything else IMO.

I guess I wasn't fully aware of their "business practices" that so many of you are talking about. The videos on their website lead me to believe that everything was done in-house. I guess I was a little naive, but nothing would have made me believe otherwise. This doesn't change how I feel about Scotty Cameron putters. I still love my SC.

It is for this very reason many don't like the brand. Don has a history of this type of thing. It is good that you like your putter and the brand. Far be it of me to ever tell someone else how to spend their money.

I think Camerons custom shop has a great rep for doing very good work, but it comes at a price just like the putters. It is possible to get a great face mill at the custom shop, or at several other custom shops. There are several that do very good wotk at a lower cost rate than Camerons shop.

I think Camerons custom shop has a great rep for doing very good work, but it comes at a price just like the putters. It is possible to get a great face mill at the custom shop, or at several other custom shops. There are several that do very good wotk at a lower cost rate than Camerons shop.

Any suggestions? I have been thinking about getting my SC re-milled and/or customized. I'm not willing to pay the money for SC to do it.

For around the same price as a SC i'd look at a Bettinardi or SeeMore.

Or Piretti, or Lajosi, or Nead, or T.P's Anvil Series....we could go on and on lol

Back