As good as quality as any thing but a Scotty C IMO but hard to find

Any suggestions? I have been thinking about getting my SC re-milled and/or customized. I'm not willing to pay the money for SC to do it.

redo it yourself. Here are some pics of some work I have done.

GreenCameron.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

For around the same price as a SC i'd look at a Bettinardi or SeeMore.

Or get a custom built, custom milled, one of a kind putter from lajosi, peretti, or any other of the smaller companies. I have a putter coming with a completely custom milling that will be the only putter in the world with that pattern. How sweet is that?

Edit: didnt see jmans post- great minds think alike!

All aboard the WPB express!

I 100% accept this. I definitely realize that everyone has differing opinions, but
I said something because it seemed that no matter what kind of positive comment was given about SC there was something negative said about their way of business or that they get their club head mailed in. Most people who love their SC know this. I love my SC

I was not trying the be consistently negative. I was honestly looking for reasons to buy a Scotty. I was given some very good ones. I have no problem with Scotty Cameron putters. Like I said, I really like the Newport.

I have a problem with Scoty Cameron fanboys who believe that Scotty putters are the best putters on the market simply because they're Scotty putters. I feel the same way for SeeMore, Taylormade, Ping, Odyssey, or any other person who judges other people's putters based soley on name brand.

I was not trying the be consistently negative. I was honestly looking for reasons to buy a Scotty. I was given some very good ones. I have no problem with Scotty Cameron putters. Like I said, I really like the Newport.

I have a problem with Scoty Cameron fanboys who believe that Scotty putters are the best putters on the market simply because they're Scotty putters. I feel the same way for SeeMore, Taylormade, Ping, Odyssey, or any other person who judges other people's putters based soley on name brand.

Ha ha, I agree. I hope you aren't saying this about me. I am not a sheep in the herd of Scotty followers. It came down to the fact that I think SC putters are great looking, excellent feeling, and I had a buddy selling one for insanely cheap. Would I buy a SC putter again? Yes. But I would also test other putters to see which one felt and looked best. And yes, I do think SCs are one of the best putters out there. Not necessarily the best, but one of the best. Just my opinion.

Thanks! I used Testors Enamel for the California and Tamiya clear green for the Newport 2.

I will have to check those out. I want to customize my putter but don't want to pay a ton to do so. This could be exactly what I am looking for.

I will have to check those out. I want to customize my putter but don't want to pay a ton to do so. This could be exactly what I am looking for.

worth a shot. There is a paint fill thread somewhere around here. You will need Acetone, gloves (don't want to get Acetone on your hands), toothpicks, q-tips, cotton balls, and something to put small portions of Acetone in while stripping the original paint fill. The process is fairly easy, but getting clear paints to look good can be kind of tricky. I am a perfectionist, so it is harder for me.

This may be a pretty big assumption, but I seriously doubt THP has any of the legit SC fanboys... They are all probably lurking on Cameron Collector debating which tour issued $2,000 putter to buy next.. Seems like most here just respect the quality that goes into the SC putters, and roll them because they flat out work.

I agree, there are a lot of really annoying fanboys out there, but it goes the same for most high end golf companies!

This may be a pretty big assumption, but I seriously doubt THP has any of the legit SC fanboys... They are all probably lurking on Cameron Collector debating which tour issued $2,000 putter to buy next.. Seems like most here just respect the quality that goes into the SC putters, and roll them because they flat out work.

I agree, there are a lot of really annoying fanboys out there, but it goes the same for most high end golf companies!

I think you are right on this point. I have a friend whose dad has 19 of the bastards. We have all met them IRL though. They surely are annoying.

I think you are right on this point. I have a friend whose dad has 19 of the bastards. We have all met them IRL though. They surely are annoying.

19?!?!??!? I am having a hard time talking myself into buying a used studio style (the insert one) to see if I like it better, let alone have 19 (most likely unused) putters at I am sure no less than 500 apiece... That is just ridiculous.

My point is that the Boca 1 which I paid a 39$ for is to me every bit a quality milled head as a Scotty and even though i can afford more - why pay more if it works? (one other thing I do like about some Camerons is their grip but the Nicklaus Boca 1 also has a premier grip)

I'm for sure not a fanboy of any brand although I do have my likes and dislikes. At the same time, I try hard to not be a big hater on any brand as well. I've owned hundreds of putters and clubs from every major OEM at one time or another and while I think they are all good, none of them jump out to me to the point where I would be a obnoxious fanboy.

Play what you like and don't worry about what others think.

Interesting how people spend $300+ for a driver that gets used the least per round, but are aghast at spending $300 for a putter which gets used the most.

Interesting how people spend $300+ for a driver that gets used the least per round, but are aghast at spending $300 for a putter which gets used the most.

If I could poke the ball out there with a $50 driver like I do with my K15 I would do it in a heartbeat. Hated every penny I spent on my driver. It's obscene the cost of new drivers, but I have no control over that. New drivers are $300 on up, that's the way it is. Putters aren't priced like drivers.

If a Scotty or other spendy putter was markedly better than anything I could find, sure I would buy one.

Very true. Also, how often do people upgrade drivers because of "new technology"? Whereas putters never really advance technologically. For example, a tour player will use the same putter for years and years, but will switch drivers every year or two at the most.

This. Bothers. Me.
Let us be honest, your 50 dollar driver will not perform as well as a 300 dollar driver 9 times out of 10. You pay for the R&D that goes into that club. What kinda R&D does SC do? Other than to see if he can jack the price up a few more bucks, none. Effectively, a 60 dollar CC will perform just as well as my 140 dollar White Ice, which in turn will perform just as well as a 300 dollar SC or Piretti or Betti, which will perform just as well as ANY of his tour issued nonsense that collectors kill for. It is not an appropriate apples to apples comparison. I guarantee you that if you went out with two putters of roughly the same headshape, say a Newport and a CC, and covered up the logos, you would sink roughly the same number of putts. I guarantee it. The same cannot be said for my TM Burner driver and my DUnlop driver from a starter set. Trust me, I have compared THOROUGHLY.

You are also NOT hitting a putter with a fully loaded swing that needs to go far and hit narrow fairways.........

I also tend to care less how others spend their hard earned dollars :bicker:

Ok. I respect that! I was not trying to attack you I just like to support Scotty Cameron, but will admit there are tons of other great putter options out there.

worth a shot. There is a paint fill thread somewhere around here. You will need Acetone, gloves (don't want to get Acetone on your hands), toothpicks, q-tips, cotton balls, and something to put small portions of Acetone in while stripping the original paint fill. The process is fairly easy, but getting clear paints to look good can be kind of tricky. I am a perfectionist, so it is harder for me.

I found the paint-fill thread. What a cool idea and some amazing work done by some THP members, including you. Thanks for the heads up. My Scotty will be getting a paint fill when I am done with college for the year. Not sure what color I want to do but I will post pics before, during, and after.

Back