My Experience with GolfTec's Iron Fitting

Its not even close...GolfTEC. Edwin Watts is a retail store. A good one and they do things very well. GolfTEC has technology to assist that Edwin Watts just does not have. They also have actual teachers there to assist in clubfitting. Its not even close.

Absolutely correct!!!

Thanks for the answers guys! I plan on getting fit in about a year, and I want to make sure I'm getting the best service for my money.

ITS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I can't wait. Some fears have crept into my head though. What if my swing changes significantly? What if I hit an unnatural growth spurt? Can they be adjusted later?

ITS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I can't wait. Some fears have crept into my head though. What if my swing changes significantly? What if I hit an unnatural growth spurt? Can they be adjusted later?

Dont worry about any of that. The most important thing is to have fun. It will all work out.

Dont worry about any of that. The most important thing is to have fun. It will all work out.

Okay. I was just worried. A buddy of mine tried to talk me out of it today. I chose not to listen, but it brought up concerns. I know that, being 5' 7", stock doesnt fit me, but he was hard to ignore- he taught me to play.

Okay. I was just worried. A buddy of mine tried to talk me out of it today. I chose not to listen, but it brought up concerns. I know that, being 5' 7", stock doesnt fit me, but he was hard to ignore- he taught me to play.

Actually it COULD fit you. Ya never know, that is why fitting is so important. Relax, Enjoy, and have fun. It will be a blast.

Actually it COULD fit you. Ya never know, that is why fitting is so important. Relax, Enjoy, and have fun. It will be a blast.

So true , who would have guessed at 6'6" I would only require stock to 1/4" overlength shafts depending on the OEM.

LOL. A friend just asked what I wanted to hit- My response- "EVERTHING" MUWAHAHAHAHA

So, how did it go??????

Don't want to say everything, want him to tell everyone about it but let's just say he is a happy camper after today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All right. Here we go. Thanks bridges- cell phone died, sorry.

Got there this morning, and was greeted by the coach. Superlativley friendly guy, and obviously very well informed on his job.

I started out by using the mizuno shaft optimizer. It showed me some interesting data, like toe down, ect. Still a little cold, I averaged a fast tempoed 82 mph, putting me firmly in the stiff flex.

I then went into the launch monitor bay. We examined my swing, and found that I had two major problems- my grip, and my follow through. More on this later.

We used an R9 as my control iron, as my pieces of crap are not in the data base. Not every swing was good, but those that were..... WHOOOOO boy. I had a 217 yarder, and a 206 yarder, off a six iron... Yeah.

We looked at many different stats. My launch angle was at 18 degrees, where 19.3 was considered optimal.
My back spin was 4751, and optimal was 5793.

From this, we put some info in about my game preference. I wanted a neutral biased club, that I could grow into, and some gaps for hybrids.
It came back with several test clubs, and from these I chose, based on price, preference, and looks, 3. I chose the 2009 Burners, the Ping G15, and the Callaway X-22s.

We started with the Burners, and I liked them. Felt nice, averaged 165, 6 iron. Better dispesion that I was seeing with the r9, but less distance (I was spraying the r9). Came away impressed, and, admittedly, I thought right away that they were for me.

Next came the G15. I wanted to like this club. I really did. The looks had grown on me, and I had warmed up with it, and it felt great then, but the Vector Pro didnt lie- I sucked with it. I had a 57 yard spread on 5 shots, twice that of the burners. I hated every thing about it after we got done. Sorry Ping, you tried, and failed, miserably.

Now, the X-22. All I can say is, holy heck. I was SMASHING these. Averaged 182 off the 30 * 6 iron. We also found something interesting-the uniflexs that came with it, at this point in my game, worked perfectly. He said I may need to step up to a PX 6.0 sometime soon, but for now, that shaft was perfect. I had a.... wait for it..... 7.4 yard spread on 5 shots. Holy heck. This, vs 70 with the R9.

Guess which one I went with, lol.

We decided that 5-pw was perfect for my game. This leaves space for one more hybrid, which may come early next year.

Oh, about the swing flaws.

Our session actually went over the alloted time. He still took the time to show me a new grip and a follow through drill. That, friends, is dedication.

Oh, one more thing. Guess what else is new?

A black OGIO KingPin Cart bag. H*** Yeah!

I will be glad to answer any questions about this amazing process.

Good stuff! How much was it again? I might get this done in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is great info. I am going to get the full fitting in a few months. Great to hear how it went for you.

Sent using Tapatalk please forgive my spelling

I'm glad to hear it went so well, I may follow your lead this spring. What about shaft length, stock also?

Good stuff, aggro! Can't wait to hear how they work for you out on the course.

what a great read aggro! when i was fit for my X22's a couple of years ago i saw almost the same exact thing that you did. you've got yourself a fine set of irons and more importantly, a set that fits YOU. thanks for sharing your experience with us and congrats on that new bag as well.

Great post aggro and I'm glad it worked out so well!

Great read Aggro, you'll be tearing up the course now. This was a fun one to follow as you made your way to the clubs that fit you.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Thanks guys.

Bridges- The fitting was 99 dollars.

I'm glad to hear it went so well, I may follow your lead this spring. What about shaft length, stock also?

Yes. We did the lie board and found that stock was as good as I could get. Dead center

Glad it went well for you mate!

It's amazing the difference a nice fitted iron can make.

I had so much fun with my iron fitting that now, 1 year later, I think I am gonna go in for a driver fitting. I don't know if I will be purchasing one, but here in the next few months I am heading back down to GolfTec. Can anyone who has been through this tell me how the driver fitting works? Oh, and of course I will have a full write-up.

Sounds fun, JR. I wish we had a GT here that I could go to.

You should see what shaft might work for you with the driver head you have.

Looking forward to your thoughts JR. I think a driver fitting will likely be my next trip to GolfTEC.

Back