What green speed do you putt best on?

Definitely faster. I've always preferred conditions that allow for a more delicate stroke.

I shot 40 on the front side yesterday and had a great ball striking day on front and back . It was pretty windy so my front nine score of 40 was good. I three putted #8 from 15 foot. I then hit #9 about eight foot and three putted it. Hit the ball solid on the back nine and had six greens in reg and three putted all six from 15 to 5 feet. Those six putts are because I ran the ball by the hole as fall as 10 feet on the first putt. Our greens are rolling at 12 minimum on the stimp this weekend and have some brutal breaks. I like the fast greens we had in North Ga at Old Union because even thought they were very fast the undulations were not so severe. Having two new putters to adjust to also makes it a challenge on out lightning fast greens.

Last edited:
Medium fast for me. I like to make a smooth stroke and have it roll a reasonable amount! On slower greens I end up pulling the longer putts and I get a bit yippish on really fast greens and end up leaving a few putts short. Either way I need to work on my putting this winter!!!!

according to ren & stimpy's meter i putt best between 8-10
anything faster or slower and im either reading wayyy too much or too little break

I actually have no idea what greens I'm better at. My putting is horrendous no matter the speeds of the greens :sad:

fast but that is probaly because my home course and my dads home course are pretty fast

Get me smooth and fast greens and I'm money! Er...I guess I'm better then than normal....I would never consider myself as a "great" putter regardless but slow greens kill me!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think it's a lot easier to get speed right on faster greens, so faster.

I like fast, but not incredibly fast. Played the John Daly course in Branson last year and the starter was standing by the practice green when I walked up and asked if I had breaks on my golf balls, lol. They had those greens so slick you couldn't even put a stroke on the ball. He talked like it was a mistake and not generally like that?

Medium-fast is my best. On slow greens I have a hard time to get the ball to the hole.

I prefer fast, I feel like the break is more true on a fast green. Also usually if it is a slow green they are inconsistant throughout your round.

medium-fast

The faster the better for me.
I really hate slow greens.

Faster is best IMO. As long as they are consistant it makes putting fun

I don't putt well on any greens. But I prefer to play on fast greens, as I tend to have issues getting the ball to the hole (yes I am a wuss).

man all of you love fast greens but are the fast greens you guys play on relatively flat or what?
how can you guys hold chips and pitches into the greens when they play fast?
i played on a course where the greens putted like glass and they were far from flat and it was miserable... a 3 putt was great
depending on the greens shapes im thinking anything over 10-11 might be too fast unless the greens are "easy"

fast greens

fast greens

Fast greens mostly suit the single digit handicapper or lower. Putting is not the problem. Chipping unto fast greens take quite a bit of expertise.

Consistent and smooth greens is what is important. I have putted on some extremely fast greens with dead patches of turf which effected trueness. Really fast greens also require a degree of luck in addition to skill. Medium fast, [9 to 10 stimp] rely more on skill. Fast greens also slow down play. I played a 6 hour round on fast greens once waiting for the groups in front of me. Really fast greens also limit hole locations, especially on the older courses with more contour on their greens.
So I prefer medium speed greens for daily play and a bit faster for tournaments.

I've been working with a heavier putter head recently and I tend to over power the putt so I would do much better on slow greens with that putter haha

Smooth, slow greens so I can get aggressive and not pass the hole by 6 feet.

I prefer quick greens. It allows me to pick a line and give it a good roll.

Back