Vokey and DG spinner shaft...oh my!

wburdett

Reaction score
Handicap
4.9 ghin
I just put the DG spinner in my 54 14 oil can wedge to see how it would react to different shots, ball flight, check, and chips. First reactions OH MY! This is too good to be true. Ball flight was nice a bit higher than I thought but flew nicely. What I was amazed was just how easy it is to load for small pitches from 50 and in. Just felt effortless and oh yes it does put some check on ball. I don't spin back my wedges I get roll out so to get the ball to bounce and check is a dream.

I tried different shots from full shots which as I said were a bit high but flew nicely to some pitch shots and then 3/4 shots low into green. The pitches and half shots were very nice flight and check. Again just seemed effortless.

Now for moment truth chipping around green. Found this very easy to load and hit ball came out nice with a great release. I didn't find it to check at all but I also don't play that shot. What I loved was the very consistent release and spin on each shot. Opened up the face very nice able to pitch high and soft even on very short shots with reduced roll.

I can't wait to game it but first range session I was very very happy. This is going into my 60 degree for sure as well.

If wedge game needs help don't walk but run to get these in there! No I'm not paid to sell these:)

Love to hear others thoughts on the shaft and vokey spinner combo

Did you do it on your own (change shaft)? or Golfsmith. I was there yesterday. I talked to SteveO. Maybe I can try it when we play. I need some check up. Actually worked on that Tuesday with Golftec at The Eagles.I play CG 15 wedges

I was thinking about putting one in my xFT, no need for one in my Jaws though lol. I can spin the xFT fine on full shots but on half shots it releases a little more than i want, i want to be able to be aggressive with it when i need to with out the worry of roll out.

I did it at Golfsmith. I had a lesson today and they said hi. I"m hoping I like it when I play but was sure nice to have some confident wedge shots

The feel is just amazing.

I agree that the DG Spinners are great shafts. I have them in two of my wedges and love the results.

I did it at Golfsmith. I had a lesson today and they said hi. I"m hoping I like it when I play but was sure nice to have some confident wedge shots

The feel is just amazing.

Cool I already called Matt from there. It has to be ordered. Thanks Get with me on what your schedule looks like next week maybe we can play.

I was thinking about putting one in my xFT, no need for one in my Jaws though lol. I can spin the xFT fine on full shots but on half shots it releases a little more than i want, i want to be able to be aggressive with it when i need to with out the worry of roll out.

I was just so amazed at how ball came off face with spin. The loading of shaft was incredible and didn't fee like I lost anything on full hard shots. Again I'm not a backspinner I just want consistent release and check from wedge. Chip and pitches is where I saw biggest improvement.

I was playing s300 this is so much better I can't even describe it.

Cool I already called Matt from there. It has to be ordered. Thanks Get with me on what your schedule looks like next week maybe we can play.

They must've just run out as of last night they had 6 of them. I hope he gets a bunch as I'm putting them in all my wedges.

What do DG Spinnners cost? I like the idea of more spin with my wedges as I've always wanted to get more aggressive on bump and run check shots.

Just saw some on eBay for $19 each (for just the shaft, of course).

What do DG Spinnners cost? I like the idea of more spin with my wedges as I've always wanted to get more aggressive on bump and run check shots.

What is the difference between the DG Spinner and the Plus version? Just the 7 gram weight difference?

What is the difference between the DG Spinner and the Plus version? Just the 7 gram weight difference?

The + is a stiffer flex

The + is a stiffer flex

Ah, makes sense. Well my swing speed puts me on the borderline of S/XS, depending on whatever I'm comfortable with. Does this mean the stiffer flex would be good for me?

They must've just run out as of last night they had 6 of them. I hope he gets a bunch as I'm putting them in all my wedges.

Sweet.

Iv been thinking about putting one in my 60 deg volkey just to check it out. But im wondering about my sand wedge. I have Mizuno JPX wedges with graphite shafts. I'm wondering how much different they will be with the spinner shafts and if it will be an upgrade compared to the graphite shafts. Ive been using the 60 deg on most of my shots around the green and I do get it to stop very well now, im just looking to experiment.

Any comments on how much different it will be vs graphite? I use a reg flex.

Thinking about putting these in my 56 and 60 degree Rac Z TP wedges. All of the results sound nice, and they seem fairly inexpensive.

Ok, so I just got new JAWS wedges and they obviously don't need Spinners. But, has anyone heard of putting one in a stock PW. I like the feel and consistency I get with the Burner Plus PW, plus I don't have the money for another new wedge. So what if I stick one of these shafts in it? Is that a good idea?

And to address my earlier question, would the + version of the shaft be good for me since I have a much higher swing speed?

shafts at golfsmith about 22 bucks 35 installed with new grip.

josh, the + isn't for swing speed more for type of shots. It launches a bit higher as it's made for full shots where other is for half shots and chips.

Its funny hearing lot of guys talk about jaws and the tremendous spin but reviews and test results really differ so curious why the difference.

What I liked about the shaft is just how easy it loads for chips and love the low flight and stop power. Its like throwing darts a pins.

Iv been thinking about putting one in my 60 deg volkey just to check it out. But im wondering about my sand wedge. I have Mizuno JPX wedges with graphite shafts. I'm wondering how much different they will be with the spinner shafts and if it will be an upgrade compared to the graphite shafts. Ive been using the 60 deg on most of my shots around the green and I do get it to stop very well now, im just looking to experiment.

Any comments on how much different it will be vs graphite? I use a reg flex.

Not sure difference of graphite but it will be heavier for sure so that will feel very different. I don't like my wedges light as I want to feel them throughout swing especially short shots and chip as touch and feel are critical not length.

I'm putting it into my 60 as well.

Follow up to range session.

I played a round with it this weekend and had good results again. There is definitely some getting used to it though. I did make several up and downs but also had 2 that were easy but over shot the hole on chip. The ball flight is definitely lower but my inside of 100 you are just going to stick in on the flag. Comes in lower but with good spin. I don't suck back my wedges but want them to check hard. They do and the shaft feels great in in the swing. Where I had my challenges is hitting the chips to hard and too low. That's going to take some more practice as you just don't have to swing as hard as this loads so easily. The run out is nice and consistent but need to play with bounces meaning up it some to take a little off the chip shots.

All in all very impressed with the wedge shaft and look forward to putting this into my 60 as well.

i did gain about 5 yds as well but I'm just starting to play 54 and 60 combo so could be just different clubs.

josh, the + isn't for swing speed more for type of shots. It launches a bit higher as it's made for full shots where other is for half shots and chips.

Its funny hearing lot of guys talk about jaws and the tremendous spin but reviews and test results really differ so curious why the difference.

What I liked about the shaft is just how easy it loads for chips and love the low flight and stop power. Its like throwing darts a pins.

Here's the best test results I could find. http://www.uintagolf.com/expert.html I know these are the X Forged wedges they are testing, but the Mack Daddy grooves are the same. You can see that every wedge from the fairway is pretty similar, but it's when hitting out of the rough that these grooves make their difference. After hitting some situational shots on the range with them, I can definitely tell. My roommate plays the Cleveland's and even he could tell the difference.

Bough 3 Now to have them installed maybe 1 first . Lob Or SW that is the queston of the day . Which should go 1st. What do you guys think?

Bough 3 Now to have them installed maybe 1 first . Lob Or SW that is the queston of the day . Which should go 1st. What do you guys think?

I would go with whatever wedge you use most first. That way you get to know the shaft before putting it in the other wedges.

From what I understand the DG Spinner+ model is for GW and potentially PW. I too would like to hear any results from the + in a PW

Back