Low launch angle fix?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I recently hit a just about every driver, shaft combo at the local Golfsmith. They had me on their monitors to try and get the shaft right.

It was showing my launch angle to be between 3-5. The guy kept telling me it should be around 14? He tried all kinds of shafts and such, but nothing ever got it up that high.

And when I described my ball flight he said thats why. Typically it starts low and climbs.He says I'm losing yardage bigtime because there is way too much spin on the ball. Well I typically hit my drives about 280 sometimes 300 if I'm losing yardage I'd love to see how much more I'm missing.

My swing speed is on avg 112mph with the driver.

I ended up purchasing a G15 driver with a serrano shaft cause I liked the way it felt, but is this something I should work on fixing? How? OR Was there something wrong with the launch monitor?

It's hard to tell based on not seeing setup and swing. However one idea does come to mind. If you are seeing that kind of ball flight it would tell me you are hitting the ball with a descending blow. First thing to look at could be ball position, is it on your left heel?

One thing I have just changed myself was my hand position. Are your hands pressed way forward? I think most will agree with irons a forward press where your hands are on about even with your inner left thigh is about right. However, this is not necessarily the best for the driver. If you can get your hands more on line to your zipper and having your club head ahead of the hands thats ok. This will promote hitting the ball ascending.

If you miss where does it miss?

• Admin
I play the ball off my left heel. Most of the time if I miss its due to overswinging...In which case its either a snap hook or a slight fade. When I hit it good its usually a slight draw or straight.

Assuming the launch moniter is set up proper you have to be hitting down on the ball to get those types of launch angles. The best way to get the feel of hitting up on the ball with the driver is pretty simple. Try this next time you are at the range. Make sure the ball position is good, between your left heel and big toe, when you get to the top of your back swing pause and feel where your weight is. We need to make sure that you are getting behind the ball at the top. You should feel your weight on the inside of your right foot. IF you feel balanced we need to get you behind the ball more. Lets assume you are behind the ball. When you swing down I need you to feel like you keep the weight back on the right side just a bit longer. THe hang back feel will get you hitting up on the ball and that is what we are after. The first few attempts you may skip the club into the back of the ball, but it won't take you long to start hitting solid shots.

• Admin
Well if it ever stops raining here I'll be sure to head back to the range and try what you mentioned. I went yesterday and worked on a few things. I think after actually paying attention to what I was doing, I felt like I was bringing club straight back instead of inside thus using more arms instead of more of a coil. Also probably causing my slight slice as well.

Working on bring it back more of an angle, but it seems I have more work to do. Lack of playing time (i.e. kids and wife) does that to you. This year I aim to get serious about playing again. Since I am in market for new clubs this year, I have scheduled a club fitting at local golftec as well. 3 weeks seems like a heck of a long time to wait though. UGH.

Andy had some great tips and fixes. Thought I'd revive this since it has come up in another thread

Back