Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
When I get new clubs the first thing I do is clean the grips, and since I use graphite shafts, I put a light coat of car wax on the shafts, and wipe down the heads. When I had steel shafts I'd wipe them down too. I also put Pin High labels on the clubs (small labels with name, address, and phone number).

Is there anything you do or do you just go play them?

I usually try to get the lofts and lies checked and adjusted as needed. I also remove any shaft labels and re-grip with NDMC's to match the rest of my set.

You wipe them down even if they've been in plastic? Any reason?

I usually just play em! Unwrapped two wedges on the way/at the course yesterday haha.. I do intend to get some mineral spirits to get the gooey stuff off the shaft from all the stickers though.. that stuff annoys me to no end.

Yeah I just got some new TaylorMade Burner 1.0 Irons and it took me about 2 hours to get all the damn stickers off the shafts. I mean, do they really need to use those types of decals on the shafts?

I usually try to get the lofts and lies checked and adjusted as needed. I also remove any shaft labels and re-grip with NDMC's to match the rest of my set.

+2. I always check mine as well. I have them checked again late in the year, every year. One or two always needs adjusted.

I usually just play em! Unwrapped two wedges on the way/at the course yesterday haha.. I do intend to get some mineral spirits to get the gooey stuff off the shaft from all the stickers though.. that stuff annoys me to no end.
Well, someone put on the grips so they may be a bit sticky. I also notice that I usually get some dirt off them anyway so when I do play them they're nice and tacky. I always wipe the heads down. Just a ritual. :)

I have a very detailed plan before I start to use the new irons.

Step 1 - Carefully remove tape from box.
Step 2 - Open Box
Step 3 - Removing packing paper
Step 4 - Remove plastic from all of the clubs (heads only, save grip plastic as I pull each iron on course)
Step 5 - Place clubs carefully in golf bag
Step 6 - Drive to range or course
Step 7 - Remove plastic from grip of PW
Step 8 - Swing PW and hit ball
Step 9 - Repeat from Step 7 on with each iron

haha JBs 9 step plan that he gets to repeat an obscene number of times each year..

I'd be jealous, but I don't know that I can really fathom what I am missing out on.

I'm the same way. I hate sticky stuff on my golf equipment.

In addition to most of the above, if they're "woods" or hybrids, I'll put a coat of car wax on the crowns, and buff smooth, to add a little protection from scratches.

Step 2 - Open Box
Step 4 - Remove plastic from all of the clubs
Step 7 - Swing 3i and hit ball
Step 8 - Repeat from Step 7 on with each iron

I even leave the shaft stickers on.
:act-up:

I unwrap them and play them. I'll always spend time cleaning them up at the end of the season once it gets too cold to play.

FWIW, a magic eraser is all you need for a nice, shiny club. These little wonders of cleaning science take off sticky residue with ease and even put a nice shine on the club face, sole, etc. And for you Odyssey owners, this thing will make the insert absolutely snow white again.

Step 2 - Open Box
Step 4 - Remove plastic from all of the clubs (heads only, save grip plastic as I pull each iron on course)
Step 7 - Remove plastic from grip of PW
Step 8 - Swing PW and hit ball
Step 9 - Repeat from Step 7 on with each iron

Love it! On the rare occasion I get brand new clubs I'm pretty much the same.

FWIW, a magic eraser is all you need for a nice, shiny club. These little wonders of cleaning science take off sticky residue with ease and even put a nice shine on the club face, sole, etc. And for you Odyssey owners, this thing will make the insert absolutely snow white again.

My wife has a stockpile of these bad boys... never thought to use them this way. But I will going forward!

I clean my clubs with water and a nylon brush every 1-3 rounds. I keep them pretty clean on the course as well.

I just take em and go :D
Usually can't get to the course fast enough, little on wash and wax them haha

depending on the stock grips I will usually regrip them first with my current choice of grips

I have to wash my clubs between every round. I like them clean and it gives me some sort of confidence that they will strike the ball more consistently for me, even though that is completely false and I know it

I have always had longer clubs. First thing I do is check them against the stock demo set for length ( and yes the mfgr has gotten it wrong before) I check the grips ( I play
Midsize and Taylormade put on reg grips but with an extra wrap of tape- not even close)
Lastly, I go down to the club room and check the swing weight against each club. If they are not close, they go back in the box. I was in the pro shop doing this when a guy watched me with his newly ordered Callaway custom ordered forged irons. He checked His and they were way off.
The only manufacturer I
Have seen to be right all the time is Ping.

I remove all but one sticker from the shaft (usually the sticker that says what kind of shaft it is stays). I give the grips a thorough cleaning to help get them broke in. I check for damage to the heads, then I go play with them for a few hours in the yard

I dont ever buy new stuff. IMO its just a waste of money. But I know other people who refuse to touch anything that anyone else has ever touched (JB:bashful:).

Back